U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2016, 11:25 AM

1 posts, read 524 times

Advertisements

My husband and I want to move. It's something we've thought about for years, and we're finally going to take the plunge and do it. We are both in our early 30s and born and raised just south of Boston. There are many reasons we want to move, with the obvious one being the notoriously bad New England winters. We're looking for a fresh start, somewhere new where we can raise a family. I work in banking, and will have to find new employment as my employer is a New England based. My husband was out of work on injury and has recently been cleared to work. This is the best time we can think to move as we have saved a decent amount of money and my husband is finally able to work again, and is now seeking employment.

Our wishlist:

*A moderate climate, but preferably with seasons. I really dislike snow, but I wouldn't mind if there was a dusting here and there.
*A decent cost of living. We would like to buy and coming from Boston where the price of a home is through the roof, we are looking for affordability when it comes to housing markets.
*We'd prefer a city or suburb with a decent population. We're not looking to live in a heavily wooded area.

**A real bonus would be near the coast, but this is not a deal breaker**

I have family in the Greenville, SC- I do like the area, but I'm not sure I love the area.
I also have family in St Petersburg, FL, I love the area, but it is simply TOO hot for us.

Any suggestions on where we should consider moving will be appreciated.

-Nicole
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 11:32 AM

100 posts, read 70,860 times
Charlottesville, VA.

(Actually, all suggestions will be meaningless until you provide a little context for the phrase, "we are looking for affordability when it comes to housing markets." I just like Charlottesville.)

Old 08-25-2016, 01:10 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,443,906 times
^^^ Yes, your post is way too vague. You're a new poster, welcome. Note: Specificity gets the best answers to your questions.

The mysterious "affordable" requirement. An actual price point would be helpful!
And "buy"? Buy what? A condo, townhouse, SFH? How many sq. feet? Yard or rather not?
A "decent" population? How many people is that, exactly?
Planning a family, so schools are important, right?
You each have a car? Or is public transport a factor?
Social factors? Political environment? Cultural and entertainment options?

Old 08-25-2016, 01:12 PM

29,944 posts, read 27,386,421 times
So (near) coastal with a four seasons-ish climate, not too hot, "decent" sized city/suburb, moderate cost of living. I'd look into the Richmond or Hampton Roads areas (Virginia Beach/Norfolk) if I were you. For areas a little farther away from the coast, check out the Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham, and Greensboro/Winston-Salem areas.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:07 PM

21,195 posts, read 30,379,606 times
I also agree regarding the NC metros mentioned and would strongly suggest NOT overlooking Greensboro-Winston Salem which are bargain-priced for what they offer in terms of housing and overall amenities. It's a beautiful area of the state with a moderate four season climate (longer springs and falls than most places) and about 3 hrs to the coast and 2 hours into the mountains.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:14 PM

6,559 posts, read 13,759,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coley1115 View Post
My husband and I want to move. It's something we've thought about for years, and we're finally going to take the plunge and do it. We are both in our early 30s and born and raised just south of Boston. There are many reasons we want to move, with the obvious one being the notoriously bad New England winters. We're looking for a fresh start, somewhere new where we can raise a family. I work in banking, and will have to find new employment as my employer is a New England based. My husband was out of work on injury and has recently been cleared to work. This is the best time we can think to move as we have saved a decent amount of money and my husband is finally able to work again, and is now seeking employment.

Our wishlist:

*A moderate climate, but preferably with seasons. I really dislike snow, but I wouldn't mind if there was a dusting here and there.
*A decent cost of living. We would like to buy and coming from Boston where the price of a home is through the roof, we are looking for affordability when it comes to housing markets.
*We'd prefer a city or suburb with a decent population. We're not looking to live in a heavily wooded area.

**A real bonus would be near the coast, but this is not a deal breaker**

I have family in the Greenville, SC- I do like the area, but I'm not sure I love the area.
I also have family in St Petersburg, FL, I love the area, but it is simply TOO hot for us.

Any suggestions on where we should consider moving will be appreciated.

-Nicole
Louisville. A really great city right now especially for young couples. Much more affordable than coastal states and still not terribly far from the beach (about 9 hours to FL panhandle)

Old 08-25-2016, 02:46 PM

29,944 posts, read 27,386,421 times
Nine hours to the beach is terribly far but Great Lakes beaches may be enough for them; Indiana Dunes are only about four hours from Louisville. Otherwise, if they don't mind being in a non-coastal state, Louisville would be a great option.

Old 08-25-2016, 04:27 PM

989 posts, read 595,645 times
+1 for the Carolinas, or Virginia (if you can afford it).

Also maybe Nashville

Old 09-01-2016, 02:38 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,395,131 times
(1) Charlotte, NC -Huge banking city, also about an hour and change to Greenville, SC where your family is (Close but not too close ya know?) Raleigh/Durham, NC , Columbia, SC. also Richmond, VA. and a someone else mentioned Nashville, TN or Atlanta GA even.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or