U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City that is biggest on football in the U.S.?
Boston 4 3.51%
Dallas 43 37.72%
San Francisco 0 0%
Chicago 2 1.75%
Green Bay 20 17.54%
Pittsburgh 19 16.67%
Miami 2 1.75%
Other 24 21.05%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 07:47 AM

2,937 posts, read 4,543,062 times

Advertisements

OP obviously either has a problem with Detroit to the extent of purposely excluding them from these sports polls, or they don't know enough about sports to include them. First they leave one of the most historic baseball franchises with one of the most devoted fan bases off of that poll, and now they ignore an NFL fan base that has packed its teams stadiums every year despite never even sniffing a Super Bowl. Throw in the area college teams, one of which boasts the biggest football stadium in America, and there is no argument against that carries weight.

So I guess OP needs the title of their post defined for them. It says "biggest on", not "most championships" or "most bandwagon fans", which by the looks of it, are what most of the replies are based upon. "Oh, all my hip friends in college wore Red Sox gear, so they must be the best fans!"

There is no bigger, more dedicated or passionate sports town that Detroit for both baseball and football. I can live with someone maybe not voting them #1, but to exclude them from polls like these shows a brutal ignorance to the subject matter.

On that note, I write in Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 08:35 AM

100 posts, read 70,860 times
Detroit and Buffalo are hockey towns. The Lions in particular have historically had attendance issues relative to the heavy hitters in these categories, often falling near the bottom of the league in attendance percentage. Not that I blame the fans, but this isn't the behavior of a football town. On top of which, there's no noteworthy amateur football presence. Basketball? Sure. Hockey? Definitely.

Baseball and football are afterthoughts. Detroit's the worst football town in its own division by several orders of magnitude.

Old 08-27-2016, 01:53 PM

56,633 posts, read 80,930,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo-Fi View Post
Detroit and Buffalo are hockey towns. The Lions in particular have historically had attendance issues relative to the heavy hitters in these categories, often falling near the bottom of the league in attendance percentage. Not that I blame the fans, but this isn't the behavior of a football town. On top of which, there's no noteworthy amateur football presence. Basketball? Sure. Hockey? Definitely.

Baseball and football are afterthoughts. Detroit's the worst football town in its own division by several orders of magnitude.
Both have loyal pro Football fan bases as well.

University of Michigan, while just outside of the Detroit metro, gets a large portion of its support from the area. Same for Michigan State. HS Football is pretty good with again the Detroit Catholic League(Catholic Central, U of D Jesuit, Birmingham Brother Rice, Warren De La Salle, Orchard Lake St. Mary's, etc.), some Detroit City Schools(King, Cass Tech, Mumford, etc) and select suburban programs(Farmington Hills Harrison, Livonia Stevenson, etc). I'm not saying that it is necessarily on par with the top cities in the poll, but it isn't as bad as some may think it is.

Old 08-27-2016, 03:00 PM

1,250 posts, read 824,444 times
Quote:
Detroit and Buffalo are hockey towns.
LOL, you obviously don't know what Buffalo, or WNY for that matter is like on Sunday's in the fall. Sure the Sabres have some of, if not the best and most loyal fans in the country. But to say Buffalo is just a hockey town is absolutely false. People in this region bleed red and blue the same they bleed blue and gold.

Old 08-27-2016, 04:05 PM

2,937 posts, read 4,543,062 times
Quote:

Pistons games have mirrored ghost towns for the past few years.

Hockey is obviously huge in Detroit, but it remains a Canadian sport first.

The Tigers are one of the oldest, most storied franchises in baseball. You don't support a major league team for 115 years without being a baseball town, and to label the sport as an "afterthought" in Detroit is simply an asinine contention.

Still, football is king in the Motor City. The Lions have arguably been the leagues worst franchise since the AFL/NFL merger, and yet the fans still go. They've been given no reason to go, mind you.....other than the simple love of the game, and the passion they put forth tops that of the other 3 area teams combined year in and year out. The records stopped mattering long ago.

You'd have to live it to know it. I've lived it.

But if you still aren't convinced, walk into the Anchor Bar on W. Fort St. while a Lions game is on and make an announcement to everyone there that Detroit isn't a football town.

That I'd like to see.

Old 08-27-2016, 05:01 PM
_OT

2,145 posts, read 1,521,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Other... NYC all the way, followed by Dallas, GB, Pittsburgh, then Chicago.

Miami? They dont like any sports down there, apparently.
You're picturing Miami Beach, Dade County as a whole is huge on football; South Florida is a hotbed for talent itself. Most of the Blacks down here play football, from Little Leagues to College...

Miami just has some fair-wheather ass fans.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:53 PM

9,382 posts, read 9,543,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsFanaticist View Post
The Patriots winning four Super Bowls in the last 15 years doesn't mean Boston is a football town either.

When are people going to realize that championships don't make a city a sports town?

If the Red Sox still didn't win a World Series do you think Boston would trade those Super Bowls for one Red Sox championship? I would say 100% yes. The Celtics and Bruins aren't even on the radar unless they're winning.

The OP should also list Detroit too.
That more speaks to how important the Red Sox are, not how irrelevant the Patriots are.
The CITGO sign is a designated landmark by the City of Boston (you can't change it without the city's permission) basically because you can see it from Fenway Park.
Football as a whole is more important in Texas, but I'm not sure if the NFL is more important to the South in general as it is anywhere else.
Also attendance correlates to success everywhere. You don't see the 76ers or the Blackhawks playing to full houses if they are terrible.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
While I do agree here, you're cherry-picking two franchises that were/are historically bad. All-time levels. Especially the 76ers, which is sad. The Blackhawks I have personally seen do a 180 as an avid hockey fan. They were once rated worst franchise in all four sports by ESPN in 2004.
When was the last time the Phillies sold out in either the Spring or Summer? Even in NYC, the Mets now have better TV ratings than the Yankees, and the Yankees are 2.5 games out of the Wildcard, they aren't even bad. The Penguins almost were relocated because nobody cared. These are "sports cities".
Saying rating/buzz wanes when a team isn't good isn't a Boston thing, its a literally everywhere thing.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Right. Just pointing it out.

Philly last sold out in 2012 and led the MLB in attendance for most of the 2000's while they were a top team and won a World Series, but fell back down after that era.

Bruins and Celtics had trouble with attendance as well. It happens everywhere.

Do you think Boston would trade it's four Super Bowls for one World Series ring (this being with the curse still being alive)? I think so.
Probably, you see "Red Sox 2004 World Series Champs" bumper stickers on graves of people who died in 2003/4, put there by their families. You wouldn't see that for the Patriots.

Old 08-28-2016, 06:17 AM

242 posts, read 162,270 times
Houston, the Cryboys had to use a silent snap count in Dallas, against the Texans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or