U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City that is biggest on football in the U.S.?
Boston 4 3.51%
Dallas 43 37.72%
San Francisco 0 0%
Chicago 2 1.75%
Green Bay 20 17.54%
Pittsburgh 19 16.67%
Miami 2 1.75%
Other 24 21.05%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 07:22 PM

56,778 posts, read 81,126,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swbrotha100 View Post
I assume high school, college and pro football are all big in Texas, so overall I would pick Dallas. This is the only area where I found radio broadcasts of high school football play-by-play.
In terms of the last sentence, do you mean in terms of major areas? I know that some parts of the NYC area that would or did have some HS Football radio broadcasts. You also have the Madison Square Garden Varsity network which has a Game of the Week during the HS Football season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2016, 08:05 PM

5,718 posts, read 8,783,075 times
I could cheat and say that you could put well over half the population of Knoxville in Neyland stadium. But since most of the city is unincorporated, lets say almost 1/4 of the county population of 432K. Still that's impressive.

There is other stuff to do in Knoxville but it is undoubtedly a football town. If you aren't a fan, its a great time to go shopping, run errands, etc. Just get home before the traffic lets out.

Old 09-04-2016, 06:10 AM

45,144 posts, read 36,338,000 times
Texans love football. And Texas high school football games are truly an experience, even at smaller schools.

Funny thing - I live in east Texas, and not only do we have tons of Cowboys fans here, we also have a lot of Saints fans (probably due in part to the massive immigration of Louisianians after Katrina, as well as the subsequent years of Saints strength - which seems to be sadly waning!).

My husband and I go to a local sports bar to watch the Saints games, because there are so many Saints fans around here. And the biggest game of the season at that sports bar is not the Superbowl - it's the Saints vs Cowboys game! Sadly, they don't play each other this year, Dang it!

Old 09-04-2016, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
In terms of the last sentence, do you mean in terms of major areas? I know that some parts of the NYC area that would or did have some HS Football radio broadcasts. You also have the Madison Square Garden Varsity network which has a Game of the Week during the HS Football season.
I'll answer that one - I live in the Tyler area and we have a local radio station that covers all the local football games and stays on top of the biggest rivalries virtually play by play each week. We also have a running tab online and on screen with several local TV stations covering local high school games. Just about every game I've been to is being covered by local news, with a camera crew.

I was absolutely SHOCKED by the crazy size of Homecoming mums when I moved to Texas. My gosh. It's common to have around $100 tied up in one of those stupid mums.

Half times are fantastic.

I have to admit, I love going to high school football games in Texas.

Old 09-04-2016, 07:30 AM

56,778 posts, read 81,126,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'll answer that one - I live in the Tyler area and we have a local radio station that covers all the local football games and stays on top of the biggest rivalries virtually play by play each week. We also have a running tab online and on screen with several local TV stations covering local high school games. Just about every game I've been to is being covered by local news, with a camera crew.

I was absolutely SHOCKED by the crazy size of Homecoming mums when I moved to Texas. My gosh. It's common to have around $100 tied up in one of those stupid mums.

Half times are fantastic.

I have to admit, I love going to high school football games in Texas.
I believe it, as TX HS Football has a rep for going all out.

In parts of Upstate NY, you get radio broadcasts from some communities and Time Warner Cable Sports has a Game of the Week on Friday nights. You'll have a preview of the games by region(Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse/CNY, Albany and the Hudson Valley). In the Syracuse/CNY area, they also have a Thursday night Game of Week as well. You have some schools with pretty nice and relatively big stadiums, with a few schools in the Binghamton area(Binghamton, Union-Endicott and Vestal), Corning, Jamestown, Rome, Auburn, Hornell, Olean, Waverly, Batavia and maybe a few others comin to mind. Most of these just so happen to be close to PA too. That probably is as extensive it gets in NY State.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:06 PM

63 posts, read 45,329 times
I would have to say Dallas and Houston. Texas really loves its football..

Old 09-07-2016, 04:07 PM

429 posts, read 318,730 times
Seattle probably belongs in the Top 6 or 7 for major cities. People are fanatics about the Seahawks, the UW Huskies (who play in Seattle proper) have a storied history and a very devoted and prominent fanbase, and there are a number of strong high school football programs in the region.

Old 09-07-2016, 06:59 PM

13,227 posts, read 17,991,900 times
In terms of combined support for high school, college and NFL football, Dallas and Pittsburgh are in a class by themselves. Atlanta, Chicago, Cleveland, Houston, Miami, New Orleans and Philadelphia are the only other major U.S. cities that even come close.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
In terms of combined support for high school, college and NFL football, Dallas and Pittsburgh are in a class by themselves. Atlanta, Chicago, Cleveland, Houston, Miami, New Orleans and Philadelphia are the only other major U.S. cities that even come close.
I agree with this list.

Until you spend a home game day in New Orleans, you probably haven't seen football crazy at it's height!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV3CsJhE5LM

Old 09-07-2016, 09:13 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,169,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swbrotha100 View Post
I know high school, college and pro football are all big in Texas, so overall I would pick Dallas. This is the only area where I found radio broadcasts of high school football play-by-play.
Cincinnati my hometown has the same thing. HS football here is HUGEEEEEEEE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or