U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City that is biggest on baseball?
St. Louis 75 46.30%
New York 20 12.35%
Boston 31 19.14%
Chicago 20 12.35%
Los Angeles 6 3.70%
Other 10 6.17%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 11:58 AM

6,984 posts, read 14,112,866 times

Advertisements

Per capita is not a good way to look at this. Idk why you guys can't figure that out. Comparing metros in 1 million range to metros of over 10 million (LA and NYC) is a flawed system.

Also, for % of seats filled, what year is that from? Because SF is NOT a baseball town. Or any sports town for that matter. Worst fair-weather fans in the country that I've witnessed. Nobody was a Giants fan before they won in 2010. Nobody was a 49ers fan till they won the Superbowl. People didn't even know the Warriors were a Bay Area team until they started doing well. Now everyone claims to be into sports there all of a sudden. Ok I shouldn't say nobody. I have some friends who were always Giants fan. But a good number of their fans are the worst fair-weather fans I've ever met.

The fact that the Dodgers haven't won a World Series since 1988, yet they keep breaking attendance records, should say enough. I was born in 1992. Some of my friends were born in 1991. Either way, we weren't even a thought in our parents' minds the last time the Dodgers won a World Series. But growing up, we regularly went to packed games. Fans pack the stadium regularly even when we're not doing well. This is a generation that has never even seen a Dodgers World Series win, yet we're all huge fans of the team. I love Chicago as a city more than LA, but I'm over here in Louisville still watching the game. I see my friends at home in LA on Snapchat at packed bars watching the games. Just in general, the Dodgers fanbase is very local and visible in the city.

And the Cubs. They haven't won since any of us were alive. But all over Chicago are Cubs banners and flags. Chicagoans regularly wear Cubs attire and proudly claim to be Cubs fans.

When fans can stay loyal no matter how poorly a team does, that shows it's a real baseball city. Not a knock on STL, just saying I think LA and Chicago are very underrated when it comes to that. Especially. Idk why LA is not known as a baseball city nationwide, because it is a HUGE part of our culture there and it's a very popular sport to play and watch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 01:48 PM

151 posts, read 83,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Per capita is not a good way to look at this. Idk why you guys can't figure that out. Comparing metros in 1 million range to metros of over 10 million (LA and NYC) is a flawed system.

Also, for % of seats filled, what year is that from? Because SF is NOT a baseball town. Or any sports town for that matter. Worst fair-weather fans in the country that I've witnessed. Nobody was a Giants fan before they won in 2010. Nobody was a 49ers fan till they won the Superbowl. People didn't even know the Warriors were a Bay Area team until they started doing well. Now everyone claims to be into sports there all of a sudden. Ok I shouldn't say nobody. I have some friends who were always Giants fan. But a good number of their fans are the worst fair-weather fans I've ever met.

The fact that the Dodgers haven't won a World Series since 1988, yet they keep breaking attendance records, should say enough. I was born in 1992. Some of my friends were born in 1991. Either way, we weren't even a thought in our parents' minds the last time the Dodgers won a World Series. But growing up, we regularly went to packed games. Fans pack the stadium regularly even when we're not doing well. This is a generation that has never even seen a Dodgers World Series win, yet we're all huge fans of the team. I love Chicago as a city more than LA, but I'm over here in Louisville still watching the game. I see my friends at home in LA on Snapchat at packed bars watching the games. Just in general, the Dodgers fanbase is very local and visible in the city.

And the Cubs. They haven't won since any of us were alive. But all over Chicago are Cubs banners and flags. Chicagoans regularly wear Cubs attire and proudly claim to be Cubs fans.

When fans can stay loyal no matter how poorly a team does, that shows it's a real baseball city.
Not a knock on STL, just saying I think LA and Chicago are very underrated when it comes to that. Especially. Idk why LA is not known as a baseball city nationwide, because it is a HUGE part of our culture there and it's a very popular sport to play and watch.
Which is exactly why I don't buy any of the "Boston best sports town" talk because Celtics, Patriots and Bruins fans weren't there before they won. Boston is the easiest town to be a sports fan.

The cities I respect most are the ones like Chicago, Buffalo, Philadelphia, etc. that still sell out and you see their fans everywhere (Cubs, Bills, Sabres, Flyers, Eagles).

Pre-2000, Boston was a fairweather sports town aside the Red Sox, while the subject criteria is baseball, I would still rate it top 3. But for football, hockey and basketball, Boston falls. It used to be bigger on hockey but it's slipped the last two decades while other cities have caught up.

Old 06-13-2017, 06:14 PM

147 posts, read 66,914 times
Default Milwaukee

Milwaukee is #1. St Louis is #2. If St Louis had cold spring weather they would be down around 7 or 8 with Minnesota.

Old 06-13-2017, 06:19 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,167,652 times
St. Louis, Boston, Chicago and NYC are all pretty big on baseball but they play 81 home games so almost no team sells out anymore. I even got a ticket at Fenway and Wrigley the day of games before, you will pay face value or above but you can always get a seat anywhere you go now.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:45 PM

115 posts, read 57,367 times
A sports poll without Philadelphia isn't a poll.

Anyhow, my vote goes to St. Louis anyway.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:13 AM

9,399 posts, read 9,560,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirite View Post
Which is exactly why I don't buy any of the "Boston best sports town" talk because Celtics, Patriots and Bruins fans weren't there before they won. Boston is the easiest town to be a sports fan.

The cities I respect most are the ones like Chicago, Buffalo, Philadelphia, etc. that still sell out and you see their fans everywhere (Cubs, Bills, Sabres, Flyers, Eagles).

Pre-2000, Boston was a fairweather sports town aside the Red Sox, while the subject criteria is baseball, I would still rate it top 3. But for football, hockey and basketball, Boston falls. It used to be bigger on hockey but it's slipped the last two decades while other cities have caught up.
That's simply not true both the Bruins and the Celtics regularly sold out the old Garden. There were some drops but generally it was above 90% sold.

You also have to remember the Bruins and Celtics were actually awful for like 10-15 years.

Most teams with "loyal fans" through thick and thin are actually of good teams that can't break theoguh. Like the Flyers have the highest winning % of any NHL team. They are 200 games further above .500 than the Bruins despite playing 43 fewer seasons.

Even the Cubs and the Red Sox are above .500 for history just for a long time they couldn't break through.

Old 06-14-2017, 12:11 PM

115 posts, read 57,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
That's simply not true both the Bruins and the Celtics regularly sold out the old Garden. There were some drops but generally it was above 90% sold.

You also have to remember the Bruins and Celtics were actually awful for like 10-15 years.

Most teams with "loyal fans" through thick and thin are actually of good teams that can't break theoguh. Like the Flyers have the highest winning % of any NHL team. They are 200 games further above .500 than the Bruins despite playing 43 fewer seasons.

Even the Cubs and the Red Sox are above .500 for history just for a long time they couldn't break through.

Your entire post is a load of BS.

Historically, Montreal has the highest Win %. Philadelphia is second. I believe Boston is third.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/

If Boston is such a great sports town, it should sell out when the teams are bad. But they don't.

Selling out a 17,000 seat arena 41 times (TD Garden) shouldn't be hard. Baseball team stadiums are 35-45,000 capacity and 81 games. There is more leeway there.

Old 06-14-2017, 12:21 PM

9,399 posts, read 9,560,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbanzoBeans View Post
Your entire post is a load of BS.

Historically, Montreal has the highest Win %. Philadelphia is second. I believe Boston is third.

NHL Teams & Other Hockey Teams | Hockey-Reference.com

If Boston is such a great sports town, it should sell out when the teams are bad. But they don't.

Selling out a 17,000 seat arena 41 times (TD Garden) shouldn't be hard. Baseball team stadiums are 35-45,000 capacity and 81 games. There is more leeway there.
Btw the Bruins have had 2x the under .500 pts % teams as the Flyers in the last 20 years, In the last 20 years the Bruins have missed the playoffs 75% more. Philly is also 50% larger with Lower ticket prices. The Bruins aren't the Hurricanes they have higher ticket prices than the Rangers.
Nobody sells out when they are bad except the Maple Leafs and Red Sox and a couple NFL teams.
Not the not the Blackhawks, not the Yankees, not the Penguins.

It's just a fact, Yes Philly gets a pass with the Phillies because they are the losingest franchise in History but generally it's all the same.

Last edited by btownboss4; 06-14-2017 at 12:49 PM..

Old 06-14-2017, 10:42 PM

11,456 posts, read 6,608,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
St. Louis, Boston, Chicago and NYC are all pretty big on baseball but they play 81 home games so almost no team sells out anymore. I even got a ticket at Fenway and Wrigley the day of games before, you will pay face value or above but you can always get a seat anywhere you go now.
Every time I go to a Yankee game it looks pretty close to being sold out

Old 06-15-2017, 02:05 AM

3,571 posts, read 2,592,687 times
LA metro media market draws the most fans

No one else can match the combined fan attendance of the Angels and Dodgers.

2 Teams is not enough for LA. The A's could move to LA and they would draw 30k fans a game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.