U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City that is biggest on baseball?
St. Louis 75 46.30%
New York 20 12.35%
Boston 31 19.14%
Chicago 20 12.35%
Los Angeles 6 3.70%
Other 10 6.17%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 03:02 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,541,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
This crap you read on this board...you have a sabermetric that measures fandom in head and shoulder units?
Come on, don't be a homer.

LA is a mediocre baseball market, if that.

Detroit, Baltimore, Philadelphia, and Cincinnati (as mentioned) are among the best baseball markets in the country. They are in the upper tier.

Baseball is a cultural institution in those cities. In LA, it's an excuse to get drunk when the Lakers aren't playing.

Nobody leaves in the 7th inning in Philadelphia or Cincinnati. And everybody in the stands knows what an infield fly rule call is. Big difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 03:07 PM

7,060 posts, read 14,149,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
Come on, don't be a homer.

LA is a mediocre baseball market, if that.

Detroit, Baltimore, Philadelphia, and Cincinnati (as mentioned) are among the best baseball markets in the country. They are in the upper tier.

Baseball is a cultural institution in those cities. In LA, it's an excuse to get drunk when the Lakers aren't playing.

Nobody leaves in the 7th inning in Philadelphia or Cincinnati. And everybody in the stands knows what an infield fly rule call is. Big difference.
I guess mediocre has a new definition now. The largest stadium and tons of record breaking attendances. Must be mediocre.

Old 08-31-2016, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I guess mediocre has a new definition now. The largest stadium and tons of record breaking attendances. Must be mediocre.
There are 16 million people in LA. A big stadium has nothing to do with it.

Colorado currently holds the single-season attendance records. Are you trying to tell me that Denver is a baseball market on par with Boston, St. Louis, and Cincinnati?

Pretty much nobody thinks that LA is a good baseball market besides people in LA. And they only think that because they are homers. Sorry...truth hurts.

Old 08-31-2016, 04:09 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,956,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
There are 16 million people in LA. A big stadium has nothing to do with it.

Colorado currently holds the single-season attendance records. Are you trying to tell me that Denver is a baseball market on par with Boston, St. Louis, and Cincinnati?

Pretty much nobody thinks that LA is a good baseball market besides people in LA. And they only think that because they are homers. Sorry...truth hurts.
Are you trying to tell everyone that there is no way Denver could be on par with Boston, St. Louis, and Cincinnati? Please...those cities get way too much credit for baseball fans. There are other cities out there that love baseball too, but let's all drool over the traditional ones.

I hate when someone condescends like that - how dare anyone think their city can compete with yours.

Old 08-31-2016, 04:31 PM

9,418 posts, read 9,595,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Are you trying to tell everyone that there is no way Denver could be on par with Boston, St. Louis, and Cincinnati? Please...those cities get way too much credit for baseball fans. There are other cities out there that love baseball too, but let's all drool over the traditional ones.

I hate when someone condescends like that - how dare anyone think their city can compete with yours.
The Boston Red Sox get more viewers on NESN within the Boston Media Market than the Yankees and Mets get Combined (545,000 vs 515,000).
That is a large gap between cities, Especially because the Boston MSA is about 1/5th the size of NYC's.
To pretend the gap is insignificant is foolish.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post

None (not Detroit, Boston, Philadelphia, Cincinnati, Chicago, St. Louis, Baltimore, or New York) of those are even my city, lol.

I'm not saying that Denver is not on par with Boston, St. Louis, or Cincinnati. I'm saying that it is generally accepted that their baseball fans aren't as good. Now, that's as a rule...obviously there are good baseball fans in almost every major league market, but by and large, there are some markets that are better than other. This isn't really controversial, either.

I don't know why people get so defensive about the littlest things on City-Data. Would you be equally outraged if I said that Denver is a better football town than St. Louis? Because that's true, too....

Old 09-01-2016, 06:26 AM

9,418 posts, read 9,595,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakPuke View Post
David Ortiz's retirement year will do that.
Ratings are only up 11%, and considering the Team went from Last Place to 2nd Place, David Ortiz seems like he has nothing to do with it.
It was also a certain Yankees last year.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:15 AM

3,182 posts, read 3,866,265 times
It's big throughout the western Midwest, and of course the northeast. If Iowa had a team, I would guess that would be the most baseball crazed, as when I traveled through that state there were fields, with people playing, everywhere (and of course the Field of Dreams is there as well). However, with the current baseball cities I'd have to go with:

1. St. Louis
2. Chicago
3. New York
3. Boston
5. The Twin Cities

Old 09-01-2016, 09:08 AM

3,512 posts, read 2,991,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
The Boston Red Sox get more viewers on NESN within the Boston Media Market than the Yankees and Mets get Combined (545,000 vs 515,000).
That is a large gap between cities, Especially because the Boston MSA is about 1/5th the size of NYC's.
To pretend the gap is insignificant is foolish.
Where are you getting your numbers from? Forbes has midseason ratings for primetime games (7-11 pm) on all the regional sports networks, showing the Red Sox at 163,00 households, the Mets at 228,000 households, and the Yankees (who had Comcast drop a large segment of viewers this year) at 188,000 households. Fangraphs has an illustration (that I've linked below) showing that the Yankees and Mets still have the highest number of households in terms of total viewers.

Forbes Welcome

MLB Television Viewership Up Five Percent | FanGraphs Baseball

And keep in mind, this is just the regional sports networks ratings this year. This doesn't include national broadcasts across the ESPN, ESPN2, FOX, FS1, TBS and MLB network. I can't find a comprehensive listing of all the broadcasts from this year, but you're fooling yourself if you think the Red Sox have more televised national appearances than the Yankees and Mets combined.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:23 AM

21,258 posts, read 30,528,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
It's big throughout the western Midwest, and of course the northeast. If Iowa had a team, I would guess that would be the most baseball crazed, as when I traveled through that state there were fields, with people playing, everywhere (and of course the Field of Dreams is there as well). However, with the current baseball cities I'd have to go with:

1. St. Louis
2. Chicago
3. New York
3. Boston
5. The Twin Cities
I agree. St Louis wins in my opinion especially given it's population compared to other cities and very consistent fan base/attendance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.