U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: City that is biggest on baseball?
St. Louis 75 46.30%
New York 20 12.35%
Boston 31 19.14%
Chicago 20 12.35%
Los Angeles 6 3.70%
Other 10 6.17%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-26-2016, 10:28 AM
 
Location: Arch City
1,724 posts, read 1,228,400 times
Reputation: 846

Advertisements

Choose your option then explain why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-26-2016, 10:32 AM
 
100 posts, read 70,924 times
Reputation: 175
Chicago.

In general, I'd rate the Cubbie and BoSox fanbases as the clear top two in baseball in terms of how rabid they are. But since Chicago also has the White Sox, any attention they draw is just icing on top of the cake, while Boston has to go frosting-free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2016, 10:38 AM
 
7,718 posts, read 4,575,226 times
Reputation: 8426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo-Fi View Post
Chicago.

In general, I'd rate the Cubbie and BoSox fanbases as the clear top two in baseball in terms of how rabid they are. But since Chicago also has the White Sox, any attention they draw is just icing on top of the cake, while Boston has to go frosting-free.
I agree. Chicago likes to think of itself as a football city, but that's because they all root for the same football team. On the whole, I think the city gets more excited for baseball season.

I don't so save the Boston is a baseball city. Patriots and Celtics fandom wanes when the team is bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2016, 10:46 AM
 
9,029 posts, read 16,438,315 times
Reputation: 6814
Is this just professional fandom, opportunity to watch/play, etc?

While those markets have long standing and caring professional fans I was surprised by baseball in the twin cities and there were fields all over the place

In Phoenix the major league team disappoints and the population is fairly transient so there isn't that historical push for the top, but I can't think of a better market to be a baseball fan ..... It is all great with many different access and price points plus a lot of opportunity to play as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2016, 10:50 AM
 
100 posts, read 70,924 times
Reputation: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Is this just professional fandom, opportunity to watch/play, etc?

While those markets have long standing and caring professional fans I was surprised by baseball in the twin cities and there were fields all over the place

In Phoenix the major league team disappoints and the population is fairly transient so there isn't that historical push for the top, but I can't think of a better market to be a baseball fan ..... It is all great with many different access and price points plus a lot of opportunity to play as well
A fan in Phoenix has all the fun of Cactus League season, as well. So they can get a head start every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2016, 10:59 AM
 
Location: StlNoco Mo
6,348 posts, read 4,691,604 times
Reputation: 7821
I thought everyone knew by now that St.Louis is the number one baseball town.
Babies don't get rattles here when they're born, they get fielder's gloves.
The first thing they are taught to read are box scores.
Even when the Cardinals are 20 games out in September you will find people fighting over tickets.
It doesn't matter what the weather is, rain, hail, snow, or even F5 tornadoes, the weatherman will say, " We should still get the game in."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2016, 11:12 AM
 
100 posts, read 70,924 times
Reputation: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
I thought everyone knew by now that St.Louis is the number one baseball town.
Babies don't get rattles here when they're born, they get fielder's gloves.
The first thing they are taught to read are box scores.
Even when the Cardinals are 20 games out in September you will find people fighting over tickets.
It doesn't matter what the weather is, rain, hail, snow, or even F5 tornadoes, the weatherman will say, " We should still get the game in."
All true in CHI as well, plus 1000x cooler a stadium and the bonus of that other team that some people watch down on the other side of town.

The only thing STL has over the Cubs is lots and lots and lots and lots...(huffing, catching breath)...and lots more success.

Baseball fans from around the world don't make pilgrimages to Busch Stadium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2016, 11:17 AM
 
56,672 posts, read 80,973,859 times
Reputation: 12521
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
I thought everyone knew by now that St.Louis is the number one baseball town.
Babies don't get rattles here when they're born, they get fielder's gloves.
The first thing they are taught to read are box scores.
Even when the Cardinals are 20 games out in September you will find people fighting over tickets.
It doesn't matter what the weather is, rain, hail, snow, or even F5 tornadoes, the weatherman will say, " We should still get the game in."
Yeah, St Louis came to mind right away and they always do well in terms of attendance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2016, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Maryland
4,268 posts, read 5,486,452 times
Reputation: 4595
St. Louis, then Boston and Chicago about the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2016, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Rochester NY
1,253 posts, read 825,898 times
Reputation: 2008
As a NY Mets fan I'd definitely go with STL here. To many fair weather and bandwagon fans in Boston, NY, and Chi. Not even sure why LA is even on the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top