Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 10:53 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,343,322 times

Advertisements

Im talking about all the area way north of San Fransisco. The area of the state where the states outline changes to a straight north boundary. I have never been there but I get the impression its more weird than anything. Can anyone tell me if there are any normal cities there and if the cost of living is outrageous over the entire area also?

Old 03-26-2007, 11:03 AM

879 posts, read 2,877,942 times
Extreme northern CA is not full of weirdo's...probably has less than the more populated parts of the state. I lived in the area for most of my live before moving to Las Vegas....(now there is a city with visiting weirdo's).

Depending on what part of the extreme north your talking about...there are areas that are known for pot farms and some areas you find more meth labs than normal for a rural area. Redding and parts north are beautiful with lots of "regular" people. The coast (Crescent City, etc) is also beautiful, although more wet, and full of "normal" people. The areas around Burney Falls, Susanville, Quincy are gorgeous, but pretty normal. There are a few pockets of poorer Indian tribes in the area, but overall the "weirdo" thing is like anywhere else...a few bad apples and all of that.

Expensive?? Depends on where. Some areas can be VERY VERY expensive (think beach and/or lake property). Some areas aren't expensive relative to a major city. But those same areas may feel expensive to someone from Crossville TN.

Old 03-26-2007, 11:13 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,343,322 times
Well are there nice cities popping up in NorCal where the average home prices are between 100-200k? Also to me the San Fran thinking is not normal. Its very far from it. Does that mentality extend far north? Anything even remotely close to the San Fran mentality makes turn quickly and go the other way.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:52 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,782,941 times
You need to just go there and visit -- I don't know where you got the idea that Northern California is that whacky. Northern California is pretty low in population, pretty normal people, lots of wilderness, so I'm not sure where you got those ideas from. Better take a road trip through the area for a reality check.

Last edited by Wisteria; 03-26-2007 at 01:39 PM..

Old 03-26-2007, 01:31 PM

139 posts, read 636,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
You need to just go there and visit -- I don't know where you go the idea that Northern California is that whacky. Northern California is pretty low in population, pretty normal people, lots of wilderness, so I'm not sure where you got those ideas from. Better take a road trip through the area for a reality check.
Amen.

What exactly is "weird" anyway?

Old 03-29-2007, 05:44 AM

272 posts, read 1,509,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pines View Post
Also to me the San Fran thinking is not normal. Its very far from it. Does that mentality extend far north? Anything even remotely close to the San Fran mentality makes turn quickly and go the other way.
What is your definition of the San Fran thinking/mentality? I don't get what you mean by that. What do you think that mentality is?

Old 03-29-2007, 09:41 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,074,620 times
Default Just go there; you'll love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pines View Post
Im talking about all the area way north of San Fransisco. The area of the state where the states outline changes to a straight north boundary. I have never been there but I get the impression its more weird than anything. Can anyone tell me if there are any normal cities there and if the cost of living is outrageous over the entire area also?
Northern coastal California is one of the most beautiful places in the whole of the U.S. You should go on a vacation. You'll likely fall in love with the area.

What gave you the idea N CA was "weird"? As others here have stated, people in this part of CA are probably more "normal" than some areas of the state. They're certainly less trendy than people in San Francisco or LA, and generally down to earth. A lot of people have retired to towns like Ukiah, Mendocino and Crescent City.

(According to whose definition of "weird" and "normal" anyway?)

Last edited by Winston Smith; 03-29-2007 at 10:05 AM..

Old 03-29-2007, 09:58 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,151,387 times
Default NorCal is mostly OK

San Francisco, Berkeley, and Oakland are beyond weirdo. The rest of northern Calif. (NorCal) is pretty cool in my opinion. Just absurd housing costs.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:47 PM

653 posts, read 3,407,542 times
I Don't know if Northern California is weird or not. But for whatever reason(s), they are going to have to widen I-15 and I-80 just to accomodate the mass exodus of people from California to Nevada here. Just wish that they would leave their horrendous driving skills behind!!!!

Old 03-30-2007, 09:11 AM

206 posts, read 938,617 times
Northern Cal is a very beautiful area w/ lots of nice people. We have relatives that live in up in the Mendocino area. Mendocino is an artsy little coastal town, great place to visit. Again, not sure why you seem so hostile towards SanFran, the bay and NorCal are great places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.