U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 06:10 AM

9 posts, read 6,659 times

Advertisements

Most of the losers who got priced out of the market have run back up I75 and I95 to new meccas like "beautiful east Tennessee" and north GA and SC. Most didn't have any business coming to Florida in the first place. Now the people that have flunked out are taxing infrastructure in place like the Tri-Cities, Chatt, and a few rural areas in NC and SC. Glad they're gone. A few who have moved to E TN, even flunked out there, and are lamenting the next move...lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 06:34 AM

23,126 posts, read 35,201,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMouse111 View Post
Wow! Care to elaborate?! There is definitely a story you have there if you care to share...
Mostly it was the aggressively rude people that I would encounter on a daily basis. I've never experienced anything like it since. If anything, it made me appreciate my home state of Georgia and its' people all the more.

Old 08-29-2016, 06:46 AM

23,126 posts, read 35,201,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShekelLand View Post
Most of the losers who got priced out of the market have run back up I75 and I95 to new meccas like "beautiful east Tennessee" and north GA and SC. Most didn't have any business coming to Florida in the first place. Now the people that have flunked out are taxing infrastructure in place like the Tri-Cities, Chatt, and a few rural areas in NC and SC. Glad they're gone. A few who have moved to E TN, even flunked out there, and are lamenting the next move...lol
I have several friends that moved from south Florida to these areas. They are to a one content with the move and are hardly what you so kindly refer to as 'losers' (shades of my south Florida experience). I'm sure one thing that contributed to their newfound contentment was encountering a sense of decency, class and generosity of spirit rarely found in their former home. As for me, I had nearly forgotten such a thing existed until I escaped that hellhole.

Enjoy your sour grapes.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:18 AM

1,750 posts, read 1,642,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadytoleaveFL View Post
Florida is a huge state...you can't compare DC/MD to the entire state of Florida. Yea if you go up to the panhandle you could probably find a decent house for 175k but come down to South Florida and you will have a tough time finding a house that needs repairs in a bad area for that amount.
South FL is the only exception in FL(different market). For ex: the median house price in Tampa Bay is $175K. You can find decent houses in TB or surrounding areas (same in metro Orlando, parts of Southwest FL and in the Panhandle). A quick search indicates the median home price in DC is $460K(in 2012). Right now it's in excess of half a mil. Basically you get fleeced if you buy a house, hence why wages are higher(among other reasons). Property taxes are unreal up there (FL has no income taxes either). So, it evens out in the end..it boils down to what people prefer, fast paced vs more laid back environments.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:50 AM

2,152 posts, read 3,051,728 times
I lived in South Florida full-time for 9 years, and enjoyed every minute of it. Currently I still own a condo in Deerfield Beach. My reason for leaving beautiful South Florida was to simply be close to family. I absolutely loved living in SFL, however my wife hates it. So it looks like I will be in Atlanta until I can convince her otherwise.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:11 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,635,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
South FL is the only exception in FL(different market). For ex: the median house price in Tampa Bay is $175K. You can find decent houses in TB or surrounding areas (same in metro Orlando, parts of Southwest FL and in the Panhandle). A quick search indicates the median home price in DC is $460K(in 2012). Right now it's in excess of half a mil. Basically you get fleeced if you buy a house, hence why wages are higher(among other reasons). Property taxes are unreal up there (FL has no income taxes either). So, it evens out in the end..it boils down to what people prefer, fast paced vs more laid back environments.
I wouldnt consider Miami slow paced by any metric. I would say that Tampa and Orlando are rapidly losing their family friendly feel and COL is rising even though QOL and pay is either stagnant or on the decline. At least my experience in the I-4 corridor of Florida.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:15 PM

17,393 posts, read 19,670,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
I would consider moving to Florida if the state had an engineering school at least the same rank as the University of Maryland is for a public university.

Old 08-31-2016, 04:15 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,964,284 times
I moved to South Florida for less than a year and moved back to Atlanta...I did not like it there at all. Still love to visit though.

Old 09-02-2016, 01:52 PM

21,280 posts, read 30,559,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
I wouldnt consider Miami slow paced by any metric. I would say that Tampa and Orlando are rapidly losing their family friendly feel and COL is rising even though QOL and pay is either stagnant or on the decline. At least my experience in the I-4 corridor of Florida.
You are spot on. The population is growing dramatically on the backs of low skill/lower wage jobs primarily, which isn't sustainable over the long haul. Orlando especially is ground zero for that type of growth and makes me shudder as to what his area will be like in 10-15 years as I don't plan to stick around to watch it.

Old 09-03-2016, 04:32 PM

3,399 posts, read 4,833,811 times
Aggghh! The same story about South Florida; nice beaches/low wages. It's such a beautiful part of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or