Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 06:40 PM

445 posts, read 398,836 times

Advertisements

Okay, this is a very simple question. For those of you who have moved away from South Florida, where did you go? Are you happier? Did you end up getting a much better paying job by leaving the state? Is the cost of living much better where you chose to move to? Is there more to do, nightlife, hiking clubs, etc. in your new location? Do you wish you could come back to South Florida or are you very happy that you made the move? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 06:53 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,117,390 times
I moved from south Florida to central Florida, then to many different parts of the country, then back to south Florida. Almost moved to north Florida this month but decided against it, so still in south Florida. looking for my feedback?

Old 08-27-2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
I moved from south Florida to central Florida, then to many different parts of the country, then back to south Florida. Almost moved to north Florida this month but decided against it, so still in south Florida. looking for my feedback?
What made you come back to South Florida?

Old 08-27-2016, 09:52 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,602,221 times
I've moved out of South Florida many times and have moved back again. I don't currently live there as is obvious by my 'Location' field.

Its where I was born and raised and I've seen it change a lot. There are a lot of great memories there and a lot of bad ones. I used to think that location determined happiness, but now after living in a lot of different areas, I've come to learn that this isn't true. People will find every excuse in the world to complain about an area and then blame their situation on those things.

Miserable people will shout, that location has everything to do with happiness, but usually only because they have found miserable people in their current 'Happy' location to agree with their every thought.

Old 08-27-2016, 11:52 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,619,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMouse111 View Post
What made you leave South Florida?

Old 08-28-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
What made you leave South Florida?
I didn't leave YET! I'm STUCK here! LOL

Old 08-28-2016, 10:31 AM

23,452 posts, read 44,061,014 times
I left in 1989 and never looked back. It was far and away the worst place I ever lived, and I have lived in Atlanta, Washington DC, NYC, Seattle and Orlando.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:17 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,117,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMouse111 View Post
A health scare originally. I wanted to be with family during that time. Health recovered 95% but I found a job that keeps me here. I like south Florida in most ways actually. Just don't like the constant heat.

Old 08-28-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I left in 1989 and never looked back. It was far and away the worst place I ever lived, and I have lived in Atlanta, Washington DC, NYC, Seattle and Orlando.
Wow! Care to elaborate?! There is definitely a story you have there if you care to share...

Old 08-28-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
I've moved out of South Florida many times and have moved back again. I don't currently live there as is obvious by my 'Location' field.

Its where I was born and raised and I've seen it change a lot. There are a lot of great memories there and a lot of bad ones. I used to think that location determined happiness, but now after living in a lot of different areas, I've come to learn that this isn't true. People will find every excuse in the world to complain about an area and then blame their situation on those things.

Miserable people will shout, that location has everything to do with happiness, but usually only because they have found miserable people in their current 'Happy' location to agree with their every thought.
I have to disagree because I originally thought the same way you did for a long time, BUT and here is the BIG BUT, if there are very few jobs to go around, you will end up having many homeless people living in the woods around the Treasure Coast. They can't find work and they are stuck here! Do you think that makes for a happy camper? These are GOOD people who can't find work in the area. Meanwhile, many greedy bosses in South Florida are out on the water with their beautiful boats on the weekends. They aren't thinking about giving their employees a LIVING wage so they can have a roof over their head and food on the table (basic things). They want to give the minimum and if you're lucky they'll be kind enough to give you a 25 cent raise in a year or so. Wow!

It is well known that Florida offers the worst wages in the nation so if you're looking for a livable wage you will have a very difficult time making ends meet on $15/hr here in Florida and that's if you're even lucky enough to make that much. In Palm Beach County alone, currently 50% of the jobs earn $15 or less. Try looking at the rents in the Palm Beach area! Very high rents! Who can afford these rents beyond certain professionals and snowbirds mainly???

Also, many young people (20s/30s) discover ONCE coming down here to South Florida that their demographic hardly exists in certain areas they jump ship as soon as they realize it's a mostly 60+ demographic. Jobs are very hard to come by that pay a decent wage, many people are struggling to make ends meet, and many articles back up what I'm saying so where you choose to live is very very important or you will be sorry you didn't do your research beforehand. You really have to give your location a lot of thought.

I have learned a happy person does their research. A happy person plans ahead and thinks things through. When I came to Florida in 2009, I didn't do the proper research and I have no one else to blame but myself. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. All I cared about was being closer to my family so I had no idea what I was getting myself into and yes, I have a degree and lots of experience. Florida is a different beast!! Many people will agree with me on this!

Survival comes first. Happiness comes second. If you can't survive, it's pretty hard to be happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.