U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When I think of Pennsylvania...
I generally have a favorable opinion of the state. 94 53.41%
I generally have an unfavorable opinion of the state. 30 17.05%
I have no strong opinion regarding the state. 52 29.55%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 06:10 PM

7,196 posts, read 4,072,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
On a national scale there are quite a few states that tend to evoke either positive or negative reactions from those who reside in other areas. For example, New Jersey has a fair number of detractors nationwide while it seems Colorado has a fair number of admirers nationwide. Although I live in PA whenever I've praised Massachusetts to others in the Mid-Atlantic I've been told on more than one occasion it's home to too many "Mass-holes". People wrongfully stereotype people from places like Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, or West Virginia as being backwater redneck hicks. People think of the stereotypical OR resident an underemployed naturalist hippy and the stereotypical ND resident to be like what you see in the movie Fargo.

Pennsylvania, on the other hand, seems to get a lot of shrugs. It seems to me that most people have neither a positive NOR negative opinion on our state. When Southerners lament being overrun by Yankee transplants it's normally NY and NJ that are faulted universally even though PA is a very high net exporter of residents to places like NC, TN, SC, FL, and AZ, too. Pittsburgh is a relatively unimportant metropolitan area on a national scale, and Philadelphia is often overshadowed nationally due to its very close proximity to NYC and DC. Do we really fly this far under the radar despite being such a large state?

What do you think about Pennsylvania overall?
Before going back and reading everyone else responses...I will tell you what I think.
Pennsylvania is a large state - so vast and so diverse, that I think a lot of things. Most good. Really good.

I mean Philly - is Philly with it's own Personality and is one of the truly great American cities. Pittsburgh
has a whole different rep, and you are always hearing bad jokes about it(from tv comedians)....I can't truly say, have only been passing through there before for very short periods, but it didn't seem all that bad to me. In fact, what little I saw it seemed like a perfectly pleasant little city.
The Pocono's conjure up visions of posher, romantic hideaways tucked far, far away from things....Then we have Gettysburg and Lancaster - so steeped in Natural Beauty and History that it is mind boggling.
What could be more American than Hershey Park? Or seeing the Amish go down a rural road?
The Solemn battlefields of Valley Forge and Gettysburg - where much of our nations history played out...Americana, at it's very finest. Lush green grass, and beautiful forests of trees (Yes, I have taken a couple of road trips through Pennsylvania in my day!) The Liberty Bell - one of the most Classic symbols of American Freedom and Independence in the world. Then there are the hard working coal miners. And the Great Lakes and Lake Erie!!!! So beautiful, so diverse!

So in short, I see it as a land of incredible diversity and beauty and culture. I see it as a state with hard working blue collar people - the kind of people who have built this country and made it great. It's a state that everyone should visit and see,and it is a state that if you live there - you should feel very Blessed.

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 08-28-2016 at 06:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 06:11 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,188,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco21 View Post
How are they blatantly incorrect? These were things that I experienced first hand while living there. Sorry I am not a fan of living in eastern pa. I think it is great to visit, but it is much overpriced in my opinion. It would've been great in my 20s but those days are long gone.

I don't have a superiority complex in regards to Columbus. I know it's a great city and so do the thousands of others that move here each year. The same thing with the businesses and startups that occur here. We don't have to advertise the people recognize the excellence of the region and so does the federal government with its smart city grant. Philly and Pittsburgh are behind the curve in that regard. Those cities have to do more to get better.

I think PA has a long way to go before it gets it's political house in order. Too many fragmented governments statewide and the old "commonwealth" thinking that holds it back. You cannot have the highest corporate income tax in the nation and expect to be competitive with neighboring states. The stagnant statewide economy and higher state unemployment numbers reflect that. Most of the manufacturing has avoided PA or left all together.

Even Pittsburgh based PPG has their bread and butter plants in Columbus area and Cleveland. The auto coatings and paints are made here, while the executive offices remain in Pittsburgh.

Mack trucks pulled its corporate headquarters from pa nearly 10 years ago now. That is about the only vehicle manufacturing left in PA. Does GE make locomotives in Erie anymore or is that gone now as well?
A lot of the stuff you are saying, though, is evidence that the PA economy is moving on from manufacturing. Truth be told I'd rather those type of jobs remain in PA but their departure is simply a sign of that continual shift.

Your statement that "all of the good jobs" in the Philly metro are in NJ is blatantly incorrect. The NJ side of the Philly metro is where many of the lower income manufacturing and warehouse jobs are; the PA side is pharma, healthcare, finance, etc. You should know that if you actually lived here.

There are also currently multiple "where to live" threads about how you can live in Metro Philly and have all the amenities of places like Boston and DC (and almost all the amenities of NYC) at 2/3 and sometimes 1/2 the cost of a house.

I would have expected someone who lived in PA to at least be accurate about PA's goofier and/or bad things such as archaic alcohol laws and constant roadwork on highways that are over capacity.

Old 08-28-2016, 06:13 PM

2,324 posts, read 3,038,837 times
Pennsyltucky! Ha!

Really not that bad of a state. Afterall, many of their residents come here in the summer and spend their money so why knock the place?

In all seriousness though it seems like it is an underrated state as far as scenery goes even though it has a good portion of the Appalachians going through it. I guess it gets overshadowed by nearby WV and VA as well as the more publicesed fall color change in New England.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:24 PM

4,501 posts, read 7,577,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
There are also currently multiple "where to live" threads about how you can live in Metro Philly and have all the amenities of places like Boston and DC (and almost all the amenities of NYC) at 2/3 and sometimes 1/2 the cost of a house.

I would have expected someone who lived in PA to at least be accurate about PA's goofier and/or bad things such as archaic alcohol laws and constant roadwork on highways that are over capacity.
Indeed. While metro Philly isn't the East Coast "bargain" it once was, it still has incredible value for the big, urban amenities, loads of history, access to gorgeous countryside/beaches and other top US cities, fantastic schools and healthcare, and a stable and increasingly dynamic economy.

Complaints about alcohol laws, even though they've substantially loosened over the past couple years, and high taxes, are such tired cliches. Millions of PA residents manage to purchase their booze and maintain properties (on middle class salaries) just fine.

Old 08-28-2016, 08:55 PM

7,185 posts, read 9,982,628 times
Quote:
On a national scale there are quite a few states that tend to evoke either positive or negative reactions from those who reside in other areas. For example, New Jersey has a fair number of detractors nationwide while it seems Colorado has a fair number of admirers nationwide. Although I live in PA whenever I've praised Massachusetts to others in the Mid-Atlantic I've been told on more than one occasion it's home to too many "Mass-holes". People wrongfully stereotype people from places like Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, or West Virginia as being backwater redneck hicks. People think of the stereotypical OR resident an underemployed naturalist hippy and the stereotypical ND resident to be like what you see in the movie Fargo.

Pennsylvania, on the other hand, seems to get a lot of shrugs. It seems to me that most people have neither a positive NOR negative opinion on our state. When Southerners lament being overrun by Yankee transplants it's normally NY and NJ that are faulted universally even though PA is a very high net exporter of residents to places like NC, TN, SC, FL, and AZ, too. Pittsburgh is a relatively unimportant metropolitan area on a national scale, and Philadelphia is often overshadowed nationally due to its very close proximity to NYC and DC. Do we really fly this far under the radar despite being such a large state?

First, let me say I have a very favorable view of the Commonwealth. It is one of my favorite states, very well rounded and up there with other favorites like New York and Virginia. Lots of scenery, lots of history, lots of both cities and open land. The only (minor) drawbacks for me are that there are too many commercial signs along the highways and the fracking.

You raise a very interesting question! Why does Pennsylvania and Pennsylvanians seem to get less notice? The only reason I can think of is that Pennsylvania is in a crowded neighborhood. Pennsylvania is sort of overshadowed by New York, New England and the Washington DC area. Even by New Jersey to some extent because unlike other major East Coast states like New York, Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, etc., New Jersey blocks Pennsylvania from having a ocean coastline.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:35 PM

4,990 posts, read 7,668,833 times
A couple of great, if completely different cities, both of which have some amazing attributes as well as very challenging deficits, surrounded by very scenic but utterly Hicksville rural small towns scattered through the woods and fields in the rest of the state. Overall, I like it. Pittsburgh especially so captures my imagination, (thanks to the O.P. for setting up a great portfolio of places to explore when I finally made it there a few years ago).

Some dear friends are moving to Pittsburgh in a few weeks from here, trading in there $1.1M late '20s Spanish bungalow for a $150k beautiful 1910 brick colonial revival in Regents Park. That whole move, and potentially bringing an equal ridiculous amount of equity to that city intrigues me, wondering if it does, in fact, hold enough of urban renaissance as often extolled. But the endless grey cloudy days, shrinking (slowly) population and just general lack of growth and apparent dynamism in that city also holds me back. But again, I've only visited it once.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:36 AM

4,285 posts, read 5,541,750 times
I generally have a positive impression of Pennsylvania and think it is a very pretty state.

The notion I get from most other people is that they have a generally positive view of Philadelphia, a generally negative view of Pittsburgh (carry-over rust-belt stereotypes), and an ambivalent view on the rest ("Wasn't that where three-mile island occurred?").

Old 08-29-2016, 08:57 AM

2,197 posts, read 1,489,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco21 View Post

So as it stands right now Pittsburgh is great access to other activities nearby, but Pittsburgh is very remote. Cleveland and Erie are the closest big cities within a two hour drive. Then you have Columbus the next closest at 3 hours. It puts Pittsburgh in its own bubble.
I don't get how Pittsburgh is remote, especially compared to a place like Columbus.

DC is just a 3.5 hour drive from Pittsburgh, and the main reason you go to another city is to go to a larger city that offers more than what is in your own. Also the entire eastern seabord NYC, Philly, beach areas, etc, is within a 5-6 hr drive which is not that far.

Columbus and Ohio in general is quite remote from any top tier thriving metro area. Pittsburgh has much more available within a reasonable drive.

Last edited by _Buster; 08-29-2016 at 09:11 AM..

Old 08-29-2016, 09:12 AM

24,037 posts, read 17,897,365 times
It's Yankeeland.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:26 AM

17,485 posts, read 19,743,118 times
Quote:
I enjoy Pennsylvania.

I think Marylanders generally have a favorable opinion about Pennsylvania because of the playground stuff in the southern part of the state - Hershey Park, Lancaster County, Whitetail Ski Resort, Laurel Highlands, etc.

How can anyone not like Amish country? :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or