U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When I think of Pennsylvania...
I generally have a favorable opinion of the state. 94 53.41%
I generally have an unfavorable opinion of the state. 30 17.05%
I have no strong opinion regarding the state. 52 29.55%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 06:05 PM

4,501 posts, read 7,577,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
The rural parts of PA feel more conservative than the rest of the Northeast, even the rural parts. It seems more like the rural Southeast in some ways, different accent, but similar social/political viewpoints (no comment on this really, just making an observation).
Interesting perspective. It's generally true that rural PA is more conservative than its other Northeastern brethren, but I'd certainly posit that it's not nearly as accutely socially conservative as the South--it mainly has a longstanding history of Republicanism that was prevalent throughout the Northeast until the mid-20th century but did not undergo the same Democratic shift.

Social conservatism historically in PA is also a result of a very different religious profile than the South, whereas the former is very Catholic and Anabaptist/Mennonite influenced, the latter is heavily Southern Baptist. I digress, but it's a key distinction between North and South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 06:11 PM

12,723 posts, read 10,629,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
The thing you don't seem to want to acknowledge, though, is that we educate many of your citizens via our numerous top-tier colleges and universities, and we train many of your doctors at our numerous top-tier medical schools. We provide more jobs to NJ residents than you provide to us, and we provide 1/2 of the culture located in other states that NJ residents brag about. Plus we took care of well more than our share of major important historical and industrial accomplishments for you. And, we provided one of the cities that the highways and train tracks that cut across (and greatly contributed to the development of) your state connect to. Plus we provided the railroad that built and controlled those tracks. But, hey, that shoreline that you had nothing to do with; you provide us that. Plus, in fairness, you have more good bagel places than we do, so you have that going for you, which is nice. And, you're less rural, so I guess that's cool. Plus your drivers go faster, which is really cool.
PA is larger in both population and size than NJ. It makes sense that a larger state by both measures would have more schools and jobs. We also have top tier colleges and universities so it's a matter of where you would rather be and often, money. PA has a TON of colleges, most of which are little regional state schools that aren't relevant outside the immediate area. But that's not unique, all states have schools like that, including NJ (Stockton, Ramapo).

The majority of NJ residents (about 75% to 25%, I did the math once) actually live in the NY Metro area. The population of South Jersey aka Philly territory is very small and when people think "New Jersey" they're probably thinking North Jersey. Even South Jersey complains about this and their lack of attention WITHIN the state, and how stereotypes and stuff are very North Jersey and NYC centric geared. PA does not provide "half" our culture when the PA influence is much smaller than the NY one and NJ also has its own strong culture, including the shore culture which is really untouched by any other state and very unique.

As a resident of North Jersey, I could not care less about PA and/or the Philly influence. I don't use those tracks that go into PA, I use tracks going into New York. The NJ and NY shared systems are much more extensive and more heavily used anyway (for obvious reasons). I spend more time in the NY area than the Philly one. PA people may somehow feel superior to NJ like it seems you do, but I can assure you NJ residents living in North Jersey, so again far more than half the state, don't usually think about PA or Philly. It's simply a matter of NY having a stronger influence on us than Philadelphia, like NY has a strong influence on a lot of things given its size and cultural significance. North Jersey and the NYC area is unquestionably the bulk of New Jersey, from jobs to culture to unfortunately stereotypes. I don't doubt South Jersey is much more Philly and PA centric but there are far less South Jersey residents and South Jersey is much more spread out.

My taxes contribute to the beach and the highways leading to the beach. My family, much of whom live in shore towns, contribute even more to the beach than I do as someone not living in a beach town. Next time I see my family I will thank them for allowing the shoobies and bennies to use our beaches. Don't feel too bad though, locals call even me a Benny.

Driving fast is important when I want to beat Pennsylvanians to our beaches.

Old 08-29-2016, 06:14 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,186,006 times
I like PA it reminds me of my home state of Ohio. PA has a bit of everything a true microcosm of America. Not a big of Philly but I love Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh is one my favorite cities on earth it rocks.

Old 08-29-2016, 06:33 PM

3,512 posts, read 3,006,239 times
Delawarean here! Dude who listed all the neighboring states kind of forgot about us, Pennsylvania's little brother. While I don't consider myself a true "outsider" since the state border is less than 10 miles from my house, I'll comment on this thread on a technicality.

Obviously, I'm much more familiar with SE PA than the rest of the state, since I live in the Philadelphia metropolitan area. Philly is my third favorite major city in the whole country, and I view it as severely underrated. But it's not just Philly. I enjoy many of the municipalities that surround it, from West Chester to Villanova to Kennet Square, etc. Beautiful wooded areas, quaint, historic towns and the nation's third biggest traditionally urban city (imo) all in a 30 mile radius. Best part of the state and easily the most populated.

I've driven through the rest of the state, but haven't really explored it. Saw a minor league game in Reading, been to Hershey Park, and have briefly visited Pittsburgh on my way to Cleveland. Much of the state is lush, hilly and beautiful, but I haven't really been to "Pennsyltucky", so I can't comment on it.

Overall, I view PA favorably, and even enjoy some of its quirks (the alcohol laws are actually kind of awesome. I can buy a six pack when I'm leaving the bar? Yes!). Easily the second most important state in the Northeast, and about on par with Illinois, imo. New Jersey, Massachusetts and Maryland maybe heavy hitters for their size, but PA really only trails NY, imo. The only thing really holding it back is the lack of beaches (besides Erie, in the middle of nowhere), but hey, that's why there's Delaware!

Old 08-29-2016, 06:34 PM

2,986 posts, read 2,069,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Interesting perspective. It's generally true that rural PA is more conservative than its other Northeastern brethren, but I'd certainly posit that it's not nearly as accutely socially conservative as the South--it mainly has a longstanding history of Republicanism that was prevalent throughout the Northeast until the mid-20th century but did not undergo the same Democratic shift.

Social conservatism historically in PA is also a result of a very different religious profile than the South, whereas the former is very Catholic and Anabaptist/Mennonite influenced, the latter is heavily Southern Baptist. I digress, but it's a key distinction between North and South.
Thanks for the detailed comments and pointing out some subtle and not so subtle differences. I will be the first to admit that I haven't lived in rural PA, so as the OP requested, I'm answering the question as an outsider, based on fairly casual perception thinking that it would be different than rural Vermont or even rural New York, but what you say does make sense. It's always good to learn from those who experience the culture firsthand.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:19 PM

4,990 posts, read 7,668,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo-Fi View Post
Does this mean Regent Square? I'm unfamiliar with Regents Park, but Regent Square goes on my short list of favorite neighborhoods I've ever been to, ever, anywhere. And I say that as a guy who's put in time in NYC, Chicago, and DC, among others.

Great, small, thriving, trendy main street, gorgeous homes on old brick roads lined with mature trees. Walking distance to my favorite park in Pittsburgh, and all the fun of Squirrel Hill just a short jaunt away. Mmmmm, love me some Square.

Though, I wouldn't think 150k would go very far, there. Maybe a duplex?

I've probably just got the wrong area entirely. But I love to talk up Regent Square when I can.
You are correct. I think I had just looked it up on the 3D Apple maps and noted it being adjacent Frick Park and that stuck out in my mind. It looks like a great neighborhood, like you said, just a bit further out than Shadyside and Squirrel Hill but still definitely in the city. She and her wife are real estate agents and serial renovators and flippers (I have designed the remodels for two of their homes) so I imagine it is a fixer, they know how to quickly determine the viability of a renovation and they drove a hard bargain. I don't know the exact address yet but I did do a quick Realtor.com search and agree that the apparent beautiful home that they acquired, two and a half story brick colonial with some great exterior details that stir my architectural loins per their shared Facebook photo, and certainly couldn't find anything similar for less than $350-400k. (Pittsburgh used to be so cheap- so much for my beautiful early 20th century Shadyside Arts and Crafts for a song haha).

But those gals look like they did it, sold their much smaller house here for over a million and got what would be considered a mini-mansion out here SFH in a great area for next to nothing. They will be putting a couple hundred thousand into it I'm sure. Damn, crazy Californians over improving and upping the real estate values and taxes needlessly haha!

It initially looks a good distance away from downtown- being an urban animal like yourself where we are used to and love being able to get downtown walking from our historic house in a half hour or so here- but I put in an address adjacent Frick Park on Goggle maps to Heinz Field and it showed it as 15 minutes away by car! That seems highly unlikely but then again I am only somewhat familiar with the the city. They may be further east from the park as well.

I can't wait to visit, and can only surmise they may wish to use my architecture designs skills once again- which is fine by me! If only to enjoy exploring another beautiful Pittsburgh neighborhood.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:41 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,396,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
PA is larger in both population and size than NJ. It makes sense that a larger state by both measures would have more schools and jobs. We also have top tier colleges and universities so it's a matter of where you would rather be and often, money. PA has a TON of colleges, most of which are little regional state schools that aren't relevant outside the immediate area. But that's not unique, all states have schools like that, including NJ (Stockton, Ramapo).

The majority of NJ residents (about 75% to 25%, I did the math once) actually live in the NY Metro area. The population of South Jersey aka Philly territory is very small and when people think "New Jersey" they're probably thinking North Jersey. Even South Jersey complains about this and their lack of attention WITHIN the state, and how stereotypes and stuff are very North Jersey and NYC centric geared. PA does not provide "half" our culture when the PA influence is much smaller than the NY one and NJ also has its own strong culture, including the shore culture which is really untouched by any other state and very unique.

As a resident of North Jersey, I could not care less about PA and/or the Philly influence. I don't use those tracks that go into PA, I use tracks going into New York. The NJ and NY shared systems are much more extensive and more heavily used anyway (for obvious reasons). I spend more time in the NY area than the Philly one. PA people may somehow feel superior to NJ like it seems you do, but I can assure you NJ residents living in North Jersey, so again far more than half the state, don't usually think about PA or Philly. It's simply a matter of NY having a stronger influence on us than Philadelphia, like NY has a strong influence on a lot of things given its size and cultural significance. North Jersey and the NYC area is unquestionably the bulk of New Jersey, from jobs to culture to unfortunately stereotypes. I don't doubt South Jersey is much more Philly and PA centric but there are far less South Jersey residents and South Jersey is much more spread out.

My taxes contribute to the beach and the highways leading to the beach. My family, much of whom live in shore towns, contribute even more to the beach than I do as someone not living in a beach town. Next time I see my family I will thank them for allowing the shoobies and bennies to use our beaches. Don't feel too bad though, locals call even me a Benny.

You are taking this whole thing too seriously. But I'm glad you know nj is NYC's toilet.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:43 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,396,756 times
Pennsylvania is a beautiful state and depending on what part of the state you are in, your perception changes.Philly and Pittsburgh are amazing cities and the small towns can be...interesting. I love PA in the fall...well anywhere really.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:06 PM

12,723 posts, read 10,629,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
You are taking this whole thing too seriously. But I'm glad you know nj is NYC's toilet.
Did you see the post I was replying to? I'm not the one taking it too seriously.

I said PA is a beautiful state. This is one of the nicest things someone can say about a place. So I don't like Philly and I think the state's drivers suck - so what? If someone wants to bash NJ they can start their own thread. Based on replies like yours I'm sure it will get a lot of attention, most of it negative. But this one asks about PA and I'm allowed to say what I want without some insecure resident low key bashing where I live and turning it into some p*ssing contest.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:19 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,188,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post

True, Philadelphia does not provide half of the culture. Probably your calculation of 25% is accurate.

I assure you that most people who live in PA don't follow NY news, but the ones in NEPA that have NYC coverage likely do. My point is to question why you could feel so superior to Pennsyltucky as you call it when this state affects your state more than NJ affects PA. Given that being a blowhard can be part of the North Jersey mentality I won't waste my breath.

Shore culture and toolbagery are loosely related IMO but I digress.

I'm happy to stand up for Jersey when people who live halfway across the country demean it but I can't not respond to some of your posts about PA. I know that you often respond to posters who demean NJ so I hope you can understand where I am coming from.

Also, the train tracks I am referring to are the Northeast Corridor tracks which originally connected the industrial powerhouse of what you would call Lowly Philadelphia to the financial powerhouse of what you would call Almighty New York. Also, many of the natural resources that built Almighty NY came from Pennsytucky and the Northeast Corridor was important in the development of NJ whether you'll acknowledge it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or