U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: When I think of Pennsylvania...
I generally have a favorable opinion of the state. 94 53.41%
I generally have an unfavorable opinion of the state. 30 17.05%
I have no strong opinion regarding the state. 52 29.55%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-29-2016, 08:23 PM
 
Location: Montco PA
2,054 posts, read 4,188,517 times
Reputation: 1434

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Did you see the post I was replying to? I'm not the one taking it too seriously.

I said PA is a beautiful state. This is one of the nicest things someone can say about a place. So I don't like Philly and I think the state's drivers suck - so what? If someone wants to bash NJ they can start their own thread. Based on replies like yours I'm sure it will get a lot of attention, most of it negative. But this one asks about PA and I'm allowed to say what I want without some insecure resident low key bashing where I live and turning it into some p*ssing contest.
See my post above. Many of your posts on CD are defending NJ and arguing with people who demean it so who is the insecure one now? I would argue that the disdain of NJ by NYC pop culture has lead NJ'ians to in turn turn up their noses to PA, but I guess like another poster said, this is what people in neighboring states do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-29-2016, 08:31 PM
 
12,723 posts, read 10,629,475 times
Reputation: 17747
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
See my post above. Many of your posts on CD are defending NJ and arguing with people who demean it so who is the insecure one now? I would argue that the disdain of NJ by NYC pop culture has lead NJ'ians to in turn turn up their noses to PA, but I guess like another poster said, this is what people in neighboring states do.
When PA is stereotyped and hated as bad as NJ then we can talk and then maybe you can try to compare me saying PA is beautiful yet I dislike Philly and PA drivers to things people say about NJ that anyone with a brain would know aren't true.

As you can see PA has a mostly indifferent to favorable view to most of the country. This isn't surprising to me, and really shouldn't be to anyone.

I don't refer to PA as "Pennsyltucky" btw, I used it as an example of what others sometimes say - and it's usually a joke in my experience. I don't feel superior to anyone however I do think in northern NJ like I said PA and Philly aren't on our radar nor do they influence us or NJ as a whole but that goes for metros and areas everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2016, 08:56 PM
 
1,247 posts, read 1,610,080 times
Reputation: 1077
PA is a somewhat backwards state honestly. The Philly area is not like the rest of Pennsylvania. It might as well be in its own state, or another state (not New Jersey though which is widely considered the armpit of America especially north Jersey). Well maybe you could put it in Jersey just to help Jersey out considering Jersey doesn't have a real large notable city of its own. Jersey is overlooked by the U.S by the adjacent very notable and established cities of Philly and NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2016, 09:06 PM
 
Location: Boston Metrowest (via the Philly area)
4,501 posts, read 7,577,420 times
Reputation: 4396
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
PA is a somewhat backwards state honestly. The Philly area is not like the rest of Pennsylvania. It might as well be in its own state, or another state
Every state, including the most "progressive," has its "backwards" areas though, so it's definitely not unique to PA.

The rural/urban divide, which is where this notion of "backwardness" stems from, is in every single state in the US. Even many urban pockets are not immune to having a "stuck in time" vibe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2016, 09:24 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles,CA & Scottsdale, AZ
1,934 posts, read 1,724,386 times
Reputation: 1742
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
very backwards state, unless you visit Philadelphia or Pittsburgh. ( i lived in Pittsburgh for 4 years, and loved it)
I've always heard that. Law professors conducted a survey and found that Pennslyvania is the most racist state outside of the south.
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...map.html?_r=1&

"Pennsylvania consistently ranks poorly in surveys when whites are asked their views on the intelligence, trustworthiness, and work ethic of blacks, said University of California, Davis professor Christopher Elmendorf, who relied on National Annenberg Election Survey data."


Read more at Study: PA Is As Racist As The South | The Philly Post | News | Philadelphia Magazine

I've never been outside of Philly in terms of PA so I can't really comment on the subject matter and I've always thought of PA to be an accepting state (maybe I just stereotyped it because it's a blue state and it's in the northeast).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2016, 10:05 PM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
7,185 posts, read 9,982,628 times
Reputation: 6487
^ That is interesting but I do hope you are not informing your opinion on Pennsylvania based on some survey.

We should be cautious categorizing people because there are almost 13 million people in Pennsylvania and I doubt if even 1% of them (130,000 people) were asked their opinion on that survey or any other. Not to mention that surveys and polls can be slanted by the wording and the way questions are asked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2016, 10:15 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles,CA & Scottsdale, AZ
1,934 posts, read 1,724,386 times
Reputation: 1742
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
^ That is interesting but I do hope you are not informing your opinion on Pennsylvania based on some survey.

We should be cautious categorizing people because there are almost 13 million people in Pennsylvania and I doubt if even 1% of them (130,000 people) were asked their opinion on that survey or any other. Not to mention that surveys and polls can be slanted by the wording and the way questions are asked.
Nope I'm not at all, and I do realize that we need to be very cautious about surveys. I've just consistently heard that PA is backwards, especially when it comes to black/white relations. I've heard this from family members to friends to research. Even all of the comments on the website that I posted were basically Pennsylvanians talking about how racist their state is. Again, I really don't want to come across as being anti-PA because I actually really like PA, and I think it's one of the prettiest states in the country... I'm hoping that what people are saying about PA is more so just an exaggeration. It would be great to hear from an Arrican American who has lived in PA outside of Philly...and how they felt about their experience living there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2016, 11:13 PM
 
1,031 posts, read 2,396,756 times
Reputation: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Did you see the post I was replying to? I'm not the one taking it too seriously.

I said PA is a beautiful state. This is one of the nicest things someone can say about a place. So I don't like Philly and I think the state's drivers suck - so what? If someone wants to bash NJ they can start their own thread. Based on replies like yours I'm sure it will get a lot of attention, most of it negative. But this one asks about PA and I'm allowed to say what I want without some insecure resident low key bashing where I live and turning it into some p*ssing contest.
Yet you came in this thread with your negativity. This thread is about PA make another thread about NJ if you want people to gloat about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2016, 06:53 AM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
17,485 posts, read 19,743,118 times
Reputation: 13326
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
I've just consistently heard that PA is backwards, especially when it comes to black/white relations. I've heard this from family members to friends to research.
There is some of that backwardness in the rural areas of Pennsylvania. Western Pennsylvania is especially very white away from the urban areas. But to be honest, it is not much different than other rural areas on the east coast and really all over America.

People in rural areas tend to be less educated, more insular and more conservative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2016, 07:52 AM
 
Location: Boston Metrowest (via the Philly area)
4,501 posts, read 7,577,420 times
Reputation: 4396
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
There is some of that backwardness in the rural areas of Pennsylvania. Western Pennsylvania is especially very white away from the urban areas. But to be honest, it is not much different than other rural areas on the east coast and really all over America.

People in rural areas tend to be less educated, more insular and more conservative.
Exactly. And I think particularly among the elderly, white, and not-educated-beyond-high-school cohort, of which there is a larger percentage in PA than most other states given its high median age, you'll definitely find more racial bias/prejudice.

Nevertheless, these older generations of folks (pre-1950) is still a fairly small (and obviously continuously decreasing) minority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top