Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When I think of Pennsylvania...
I generally have a favorable opinion of the state. 133 54.29%
I generally have an unfavorable opinion of the state. 41 16.73%
I have no strong opinion regarding the state. 71 28.98%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 06:04 PM

795 posts, read 472,060 times

Advertisements

Was in Pennsylvania in 2007 and enjoyed my time there very much! Gettysburg was absolutely amazing!!

Old 08-11-2019, 01:21 PM

26,374 posts, read 46,217,550 times
Pennsylvania is spread far too thinly regarding the investing of infrastructure in the state as well as improving it up to modern standards. That is an ongoing issue that will not be solved easily. Examples include: bridges, roads, highway, highway design, traffic lights, etc.

Old 08-11-2019, 05:20 PM

7,246 posts, read 10,489,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Pennsylvania is spread far too thinly regarding the investing of infrastructure in the state as well as improving it up to modern standards. That is an ongoing issue that will not be solved easily. Examples include: bridges, roads, highway, highway design, traffic lights, etc.
I think you've just summarized what is frankly a national issue/long-term concern. Note that the state also passed a gas tax increase several years ago, which now places it as the second highest gas tax in the nation (behind only California). So, it's certainly an issue getting the attention--and spending--of lawmakers.

Certainly infrastructure pains are felt more acutely in PA, due in no part to being much older than most of the US. But if anything, Pennsylvania serves as a glimpse of the future of US infrastructure, which is that legacy costs of maintenance and a greater share of budgets going towards social programs (i.e., Medicare) will begin to put much more of a pinch on infrastructure budgets.

Heck, Pennsylvania is "under-highwayed" to begin with. What're states in the Sun Belt gonna do when their superhighways have to be completely reconstructed? It won't be pretty.

Old 08-11-2019, 05:25 PM

8,333 posts, read 4,576,734 times
I always lumped it in with the Northeast, which to me was an epithet.

Having driven through dozens of times since then as a trucker, I’m not sure what to think. It has a strong rural culture. In some places, it’s like being in the South, only without the accent, and with better mountains. But its old-style infrastructure and roads give it a northeastern twang. I can say that one of my better days was delivering livestock wood shaving bedding to an Amish farmer, who gave me a big ol’ Block of cheese and a bottle of chocolate milk after finishing unloading. It was delicious, and I’d be lying if I said I didn’t get a kick out of the juxtaposition of his son using a forklift to unload my truck, and him heading to his neighbor’s farm in a horse-drawn wagon to help with some harvest stuff. Nowadays I don’t have much of an opinion at all, mostly because it’s a hard place for me to wrap my head around.

Old 08-11-2019, 05:37 PM

8,771 posts, read 10,172,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Uh, I kind of view it as ... even though technically it's in the North, it probably has more in common with Kansas or Arkansas than it does its neighboring states. Obviously I'm aware of Philly, just saying overall.
I think the saying is as followed, "Philly on one side, Pittsburgh on the other, Alabama in the middle".

Old 08-11-2019, 06:43 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,497,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
This was a major news story in Shamokin recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1IXyujNbVE
Damn! I need some of what they're shamokin!

Old 08-11-2019, 06:51 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,497,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I used to have a very positive impression of the state: two major yet very different American cities, old architecture, a ton of history, Ben Franklin, the Amish. It was near the top of my list of states to move to when I was in high school and college.

Lately my perception is a little less positive since the rural areas managed to swing the state for Trump and I've learned from a couple friends who used to live there about the issues with bigotry and closed-mindedness that are present and how much the majority of young people want to get out of there. (I think this is less true of smaller towns in, say, Washington.)
Yeah. It sucks butt that Trump stole PA by 43,000 votes. 0.72 % of the state population. Well, at least PA isn't alone in this regard. Michigan turned on the democrats too. I'm hoping with tons of boomers dying or moving to sunny conservative Florida (and Georgia ect.) (not trying to call all boomers rednecks) plus tons of Ex-Brooklynites and immigrants from NYC, hopefully that little screw up will not happen again.

Besides, even tons of Pennsylvanians who voted for Trump in 2016 have changed their minds about him for different reasons.

Old 08-11-2019, 06:52 PM

8,333 posts, read 4,576,734 times
I can’t really think about places in political terms. I couldn’t exist anywhere if I did. Places I like and dislike don’t tend to correlate with red or blue.

Old 08-11-2019, 09:00 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,538,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
Interestingly, none of Fargo was filmed in (or set in) North Dakota.
Wasn't the end where the bad guy gets arrested in the hotel set in Fargo?

Old 08-11-2019, 10:22 PM

4,134 posts, read 2,766,716 times
Fargo is where he hires the kidnappers towards the beginning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.