Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When I think of Pennsylvania...
I generally have a favorable opinion of the state. 133 54.29%
I generally have an unfavorable opinion of the state. 41 16.73%
I have no strong opinion regarding the state. 71 28.98%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 02:26 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Rundown urban areas with a nice major city in Philly. But mainly kind of rural rust belty midwestern. Some more typical suburban area in eastern PA. Not that desirable to me. Not very diverse ethnically. 'Typical old school America' along with Ohio. States like MO and IA are also 'America' but slightly different...to an outsider-obviously i know PA and IA are extremely different
You seem to be underestimating the urban diversity of PA; ethnic white heritage/identity is also generally much stronger in Pennsylvania compared to the actual Midwest.

"Old School" America is also a very nebulous term. I can't think of any part of this country that hasn't been impacted by the trends of globalization and diversification.

Old 08-12-2019, 03:08 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,676,743 times
Only driven through it. Many times though. It doesn't really have much that appeals to me. It's never been a state that draws my curiosity.

Old 08-12-2019, 04:48 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,042,314 times
Love the state and most people I know do also. Mountainous/hilly/rural with very cosmopolitan cities with great history. Glad its so close by, was there just a few weekends ago on the Allegheny trail.

Old 08-12-2019, 05:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
I think the saying is as followed, "Philly on one side, Pittsburgh on the other, Alabama in the middle".
It's also said as "Kentucky in the middle". Go to either one of those states, compare to Pennsylvania and then post.

Old 08-12-2019, 10:25 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,522,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Liberals seem to hold the state shifting to the right to vote for Trump in contempt while conservatives are more endeared towards PA for this reason.
I think above being just endeared towards PA, they also seem to have no doubt that the state will stay red in the next election, even though they barely got by with a plurality.

Old 08-13-2019, 02:05 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,597,419 times
Going to Amish country this Saturday. I plan on seeing that stuff in the daytime and hanging out in Lancaster City at night, I hope it goes well!

Old 08-13-2019, 05:09 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,615,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I think you've just summarized what is frankly a national issue/long-term concern. Note that the state also passed a gas tax increase several years ago, which now places it as the second highest gas tax in the nation (behind only California). So, it's certainly an issue getting the attention--and spending--of lawmakers.

Certainly infrastructure pains are felt more acutely in PA, due in no part to being much older than most of the US. But if anything, Pennsylvania serves as a glimpse of the future of US infrastructure, which is that legacy costs of maintenance and a greater share of budgets going towards social programs (i.e., Medicare) will begin to put much more of a pinch on infrastructure budgets.

Heck, Pennsylvania is "under-highwayed" to begin with. What're states in the Sun Belt gonna do when their superhighways have to be completely reconstructed? It won't be pretty.
Where did the state get the money to build the roads and bridges in the first place?

Old 08-13-2019, 06:37 AM

842 posts, read 825,932 times
My impression is good overall. I've only really spent time in Philadelphia and have driven from Harrisburg to there and also through the section of southern PA on the route from Baltimore to Harrisburg. Oh yeah, the Hershey visitor center too!

When I randomly check out the countryside on Street View, it looks beautiful and a great place for a country drive. Would really like to see it in the fall. With so much Appalachian country and associated parks, there are no doubt many great locations to camp and hike.

Old 08-13-2019, 06:53 AM

453 posts, read 345,036 times
Meh. Not for me. I like Philly but can do without the rest. Lots of road work all the time. Drivers come here and drive 5 under the speed limit in the left lane constantly. Why is this a thing? My friend recently moved to a "nice, desirable suburb" with the "best schools in the area" not far from Scranton. I couldn't believe how run down the downtown area looked and the schools are middling compared to NJ.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:07 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wherewhatwho View Post
Meh. Not for me. I like Philly but can do without the rest. Lots of road work all the time. Drivers come here and drive 5 under the speed limit in the left lane constantly. Why is this a thing? My friend recently moved to a "nice, desirable suburb" with the "best schools in the area" not far from Scranton. I couldn't believe how run down the downtown area looked and the schools are middling compared to NJ.
To be fair, there are certainly many desirable suburbs with some of the best schools in the country (better than NJ), but they are mostly in and around Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.