U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 09:00 AM

56,780 posts, read 81,149,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo-Fi View Post
The small, liberal, safe one next to the lake, with the vibrant main street, the mature tree-lined streets, and the assortment of affordable housing options showcasing mostly pristine Craftsmans and upscale, restored Federalist row houses. It has that world class library, that one really friendly cafe, a nice grocery store a walkable distance away, and a handful of pubs you can settle into and call home. It's got a couple lush parks and green spaces, oh, and a great 24 hour diner together with a handful of hidden gem restaurants of varying cuisines, styles, and price points.

The only reason I don't live there is that it doesn't, as far as I know, exist.
Maybe Geneva NY? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tGswej8vbw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKVJ9NXphv0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJl0NDiKJqQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hp7WE9WXvc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV8cq_M_XKQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vsr1C-_jgo

Geneva | Uniquely Urban
Geneva Area Chamber of Commerce | and Business Improvement District
Downtown Geneva, New York 14456 - The Difference is Downtown!

Ithaca NY comes pretty close.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-30-2016 at 09:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 12:12 PM

More Geneva: Property Search Results

Old 08-30-2016, 01:43 PM

3,792 posts, read 3,020,655 times
Cleveland, OH. I know many call it the Mistake on the Lake, but honestly, I really love it there, and would move back in a heartbeat if I could. I spent the first 18 years of my life there, and still like to get back at least a few weeks a year.

Why do I like it? Well, if I'm being honest, there isn't ONE thing about the city that I would say is absolutely, out of this world spectacular.

It has pretty great culture/museums (likely Top 10) in the US in that regard, I personally really like the natural setting (A Top 5 Metroparks/Trails system, a Great Lake, 3 National Scenic Byways, a National Park, and is within 5 hrs. of some of the most beautiful lakes, waterfalls, geologic features, forest, farmland, and mountains that our country has to offer. Building on that location, it has 8 major league cities within 5 hours, including 2 of the 5 most dynamic urban experiences in North America, it's an hour from the Sandusky area which is one of the more interesting coastal retreats in this country, it has excellent (Top 5) healthcare, a pretty great stock of historic architecture/neighborhoods/ethnic cuisine, and good enough shopping/airports/economy/other city features to satisfy me, and probably many people. I also like the 4 season climate and that it hardly ever gets excessively hot (cooler by the lake). But yet, at the same time, it is one of the Top 10 most affordable cities in the US (Top 40), probably has some of the best commute times in the US among Top 50 metros, and while some would call it provincial, I like that there are a lot of locals, and the sense of community/main street charm that thrives here.

Why haven't I moved back? Well, I think that one thing about being married is that you very much have to take the person you are married to into account, and she is VERY MUCH, not a cold weather person. Also, her entire family is in Florida, and my whole immediate family is also, which is likely why I didn't move back earlier. Florida isn't bad, but there are a number of things about Ohio that I simply like better. Will I ever move back? I'm not positive, as it's likely that in a few years when I'm looking for a job in the professoriate, that I will move wherever that job happens to put me. At very least, I would like to have a schedule for work that would allow me to get back there for at least a month or two every year.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
https://theurbanphoenix.com/2016/04/...-of-grateness/

Old 08-30-2016, 02:31 PM

497 posts, read 273,918 times
Tucson , Az. I miss it so much. The reason I don't live there is my husband. I consider running away on a daily basis lol.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:46 PM

3,491 posts, read 5,678,796 times
I live in Midland,Texas but my city of choice is Lubbock,Texas.I do not live there right now because I just got out of college and I need to start a business before I move there in 2020.I want to move there for the better social and dating scene.I only plan on living there for 2 years and then I will go somewhere else but Lubbock will be my city of choice until then.
-WT

Old 08-30-2016, 02:54 PM

3,690 posts, read 1,557,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Cleveland, OH. I know many call it the Mistake on the Lake, but honestly, I really love it there, and would move back in a heartbeat if I could. I spent the first 18 years of my life there, and still like to get back at least a few weeks a year.

Why do I like it? Well, if I'm being honest, there isn't ONE thing about the city that I would say is absolutely, out of this world spectacular.

It has pretty great culture/museums (likely Top 10) in the US in that regard, I personally really like the natural setting (A Top 5 Metroparks/Trails system, a Great Lake, 3 National Scenic Byways, a National Park, and is within 5 hrs. of some of the most beautiful lakes, waterfalls, geologic features, forest, farmland, and mountains that our country has to offer. Building on that location, it has 8 major league cities within 5 hours, including 2 of the 5 most dynamic urban experiences in North America, it's an hour from the Sandusky area which is one of the more interesting coastal retreats in this country, it has excellent (Top 5) healthcare, a pretty great stock of historic architecture/neighborhoods/ethnic cuisine, and good enough shopping/airports/economy/other city features to satisfy me, and probably many people. I also like the 4 season climate and that it hardly ever gets excessively hot (cooler by the lake). But yet, at the same time, it is one of the Top 10 most affordable cities in the US (Top 40), probably has some of the best commute times in the US among Top 50 metros, and while some would call it provincial, I like that there are a lot of locals, and the sense of community/main street charm that thrives here.

Why haven't I moved back? Well, I think that one thing about being married is that you very much have to take the person you are married to into account, and she is VERY MUCH, not a cold weather person. Also, her entire family is in Florida, and my whole immediate family is also, which is likely why I didn't move back earlier. Florida isn't bad, but there are a number of things about Ohio that I simply like better. Will I ever move back? I'm not positive, as it's likely that in a few years when I'm looking for a job in the professoriate, that I will move wherever that job happens to put me. At very least, I would like to have a schedule for work that would allow me to get back there for at least a month or two every year.
I know Cleveland's gone through a lot over the years, but it's an area I have great affinity for.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:07 PM

2,199 posts, read 2,326,716 times
New Orleans. I don't live there because it sucks at most of the things in life that actually matter.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:34 PM

8,571 posts, read 12,694,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo-Fi View Post
The small, liberal, safe one next to the lake, with the vibrant main street, the mature tree-lined streets, and the assortment of affordable housing options showcasing mostly pristine Craftsmans and upscale, restored Federalist row houses. It has that world class library, that one really friendly cafe, a nice grocery store a walkable distance away, and a handful of pubs you can settle into and call home. It's got a couple lush parks and green spaces, oh, and a great 24 hour diner together with a handful of hidden gem restaurants of varying cuisines, styles, and price points.

The only reason I don't live there is that it doesn't, as far as I know, exist.
They might not meet all of your requirements, but some towns that meet several include:
New Hope, PA
Doylestown, PA
Media, PA
Hillsborough, NC

Have you read Bill Bryson's The Lost Continent: Travels in Small-Town America? (You'll either love it or hate it. I loved it). He remembers the ever-present perfect small town of classic movies - the ones with "a tree-lined Main Street full of friendly merchants ("Good morning, Mrs. Smith!") and a courthouse square, and wooded neighborhoods where fine houses slumbered beneath graceful elms. There was always a paper-boy on a bike slinging papers onto front porches, and a genial old fart in a white apron sweeping the sidewalk in front of his drugstore and two men striding briskly past. These two background men always wore suits, and they always strode smartly, never strolled or ambled, but strode in perfect harmony."

Bill Bryson sets out on a cross-country car trip in search of this perfect small town where "In this timeless place Bing Crosby would be the priest, Jimmy Stewart the mayor, Fred Macmurray the high school principal, Henry Fonda a Quaker farmer. Walter Brennan would run the gas station, a boyish Mickey Rooney would deliver groceries, and somewhere at an open window Deanna Durbin would sing. And in the background, always would be the kid on a bike and those two smartly striding men."

Your description of your perfect town reminded me of the book.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:49 PM

13,241 posts, read 24,473,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
They might not meet all of your requirements, but some towns that meet several include:
New Hope, PA
Doylestown, PA
Media, PA
Hillsborough, NC

Have you read Bill Bryson's The Lost Continent: Travels in Small-Town America? (You'll either love it or hate it. I loved it). He remembers the ever-present perfect small town of classic movies - the ones with "a tree-lined Main Street full of friendly merchants ("Good morning, Mrs. Smith!") and a courthouse square, and wooded neighborhoods where fine houses slumbered beneath graceful elms. There was always a paper-boy on a bike slinging papers onto front porches, and a genial old fart in a white apron sweeping the sidewalk in front of his drugstore and two men striding briskly past. These two background men always wore suits, and they always strode smartly, never strolled or ambled, but strode in perfect harmony."

Bill Bryson sets out on a cross-country car trip in search of this perfect small town where "In this timeless place Bing Crosby would be the priest, Jimmy Stewart the mayor, Fred Macmurray the high school principal, Henry Fonda a Quaker farmer. Walter Brennan would run the gas station, a boyish Mickey Rooney would deliver groceries, and somewhere at an open window Deanna Durbin would sing. And in the background, always would be the kid on a bike and those two smartly striding men."

Your description of your perfect town reminded me of the book.
I read the book too, several years ago. Did he ever find it? (I don't remember).

I came away enjoying the adventure more than the payoff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or