U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 03:32 PM

5,645 posts, read 4,130,341 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from FL and we get zero snow. Then we moved to Wisconsin and saw how it is to deal with heavy snow for months on end. We are currently in the Atlanta area and looking to move somewhere that can better reconcile the extremes of heat and cold. My main concern with this area and slightly north is that the cities are not equipped to handle snow or ice, making road conditions hazardous and shutting the city down. People freaking out, etc. You don't get that in Wisconsin! But that's b/c they have plows and salt trucks and are able to deal with it efficiently, and the residents are also used to being out in it and (mostly) know how to drive safely.

We are considering the following areas but definitely open to other ideas: Knoxville, Nashville, Lexington, southern to mid Indiana (Indianapolis at the north end). I'm not sure SC or NC get cold enough for my taste but maybe. Ohio, Illinois, WV and VA are out for reasons irrelevant to this discussion. What do you think?

ETA: We wouldn't live *in* a major city, we are looking for some acreage, but I'm mostly wondering the general reactions of the cities and people to having snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 12:32 AM

2,549 posts, read 1,638,245 times
The cities you mention don't have snow that often. So I doubt any of them are good.
MN definitely. They are very good at clearing snow but too cold for you.
On the other hand, Michigan is terrible despite being way up north. I guess because they didn't have/budget enough money.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:03 AM

56,609 posts, read 80,910,543 times
I would say much of Upstate NY, but that may be too much snow for you.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:25 AM

3,961 posts, read 3,492,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
The cities you mention don't have snow that often. So I doubt any of them are good.
MN definitely. They are very good at clearing snow but too cold for you.
On the other hand, Michigan is terrible despite being way up north. I guess because they didn't have/budget enough money.
Yay another person who's functioning under the impression that it's still 2009 and Michigan's economy hasn't improved for the last 8 straight years.

I don't know what part of Michigan you had snow clearing experience in, but I where I live we average 80 inches a year and they are an organized army about it. Not to mention the drivers here are seasoned to it and handle it as good as anyone in the country.

Check out Grand Rapids and the Michigan gold coast. Definitely gets more snow, but it doesn't slow the area down. The area is also less prone to the temperature extremes that can sometimes be seen west of Lake Michigan.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:46 AM

5,012 posts, read 4,717,795 times
Nashville is terrible at dealing with snow. We get very little snow, so we don't have a ton of snow equipment. But even more importantly than that, we usually get a really wet snow with tempatures hovering right around freezing. When tempatures drop over night, some of that wet, melting snow will turn to ice, and it makes it dangerous to drive.
I was talking with some Candian transplants over the weekend, and they said before they moved here they thought the only problem was that we were bad at dealing with snow. But once they experienced the first snow, they realized how dangerous the ice was.

If you're looking for somewhere that is good with snow, you will need look somewhere north of here.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:19 AM

7,151 posts, read 13,084,457 times
The southernmost city that can handle snow is St. Louis. Plenty of areas around it where you can get affordable acreage.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:37 AM

7,909 posts, read 12,169,181 times
If you drew a line from above Virginia that went west, every city south of that line has trouble dealing with snow and ice. Perhaps the only places that wouldn't would be the more rural places in North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, extreme North Georgia, and Tennessee along the Appalachians. Those areas get a ton of winter every year, and likewise have the equipment to deal with it.

I am curious though as to why in your OP you specifically call out where you live now as being problematic. Atlanta doesn't deal with snow and ice well because, as you pointed out, we havent invested in the equipment to deal with it because it happens very rarely.

On average, Atlanta get 2 inches of snow a year but it isn't abnormal to go 10 years where you'd only see a couple of flurries. Last year for instance Atlanta had zero storms. Basically what I'm getting at is that it is so rare it shouldn't impact your life that much. I've lived in Atlanta most of my 40+ years, and I can count on my hands how many times the city has shut down due to winter weather (it's seven in that time frame for the record).

Old 08-30-2016, 09:26 AM

4,259 posts, read 5,480,306 times
Central Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio. Since you ruled out Illinois and Ohio, that leaves you with central Indiana. St. Louis would work, too.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:23 AM

5,645 posts, read 4,130,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post

I am curious though as to why in your OP you specifically call out where you live now as being problematic. Atlanta doesn't deal with snow and ice well because, as you pointed out, we havent invested in the equipment to deal with it because it happens very rarely.

On average, Atlanta get 2 inches of snow a year but it isn't abnormal to go 10 years where you'd only see a couple of flurries. Last year for instance Atlanta had zero storms. Basically what I'm getting at is that it is so rare it shouldn't impact your life that much. I've lived in Atlanta most of my 40+ years, and I can count on my hands how many times the city has shut down due to winter weather (it's seven in that time frame for the record).
Thanks for your reply (and to everyone else as well). Reason is b/c my family is from here and some of them refuse to move back b/c of problems with ice. The combo of hills and curves plus ice has me a bit worried. This will be our first winter here but I have heard the ice can be an issue. There are very few guardrails and in many cases, no shoulders on the roads even, and it just makes me nervous. I'm in Dallas if that makes a difference but travel about an hour in any given direction several times a week.

That is really only one small aspect of wanting to move more north, though...I don't tolerate heat well. Hubby doesn't like dealing with snow, though, and there are pros and cons to homesteading in any given area due to its weather. But for the purpose of my question here, I'm wanting to know about cities that are equipped to deal with it.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:08 AM

8,340 posts, read 14,100,781 times
Indianapolis resident, have lived in Michigan and the Evansville area. In winter, Indy averages 25-30 inches of snow. Some winters, it only snows a couple of times. Other winters, it seems to snow every week. This past winter, I can only think of two significant snow events, 8 inches on a Sunday and 3 inches on a weekday.

Regardless, I can only think of a couple of times in the last few years Indianapolis was "shut down" by winter weather, and both involved what would be described as historic ice storms coupled with unusual sub-zero weather. When we had 8 inches of snow on the Sunday, most of the roads were clear by Sunday evening. Had that snow fallen on a weekday, I suspect the city would have seen some disruption. The city has plows, and does what they can, but snow removal is inconsistent. In general, I think the city does a better job with city streets than INDOT does with the interstates. INDOT is not particularly proactive clearing interstates. Three inches of snow, the city is not shut down. They don't normally delay schools for that. I am sure Indy would seem worse handling snow than Wisconsin, but better than more southern cities. Evansville, for example, shuts down for days after 3 inches of snow. Much different from Indy in that regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or