U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 02:06 PM

4,849 posts, read 2,978,355 times

Advertisements

Just returned to Texas for a very short 4 day vacation. Here is my very brief observations on how they compare regarding a few popular topics here in City Data:

Customer service - in "low wage" type jobs, think servers, clerks, and cashiers. Texans are much friendlier. They seem to like their job, or at least pretend to. DC area seems to have the most apathetic workers among the low wagers anyway.

Traffic - Flew into Houston, had to drive through it around 8:45, so I was at worst at the tail end of the morning commute. Much better in Houston vs Nova. Never had to stop, traffic always flowed. Obviously the NOVA drivers were more aggressive, but that may be out of necessity. Both areas have boneheaded drivers. Type of cars? A lot of trucks, SUVs and just higher end cars in Texas. It's a status symbol. Nova seems to be more non descript Sedan oriented.

Weather - I was in Corpus Christi for most of the vacation. Humidity, humidity, humidity. It's hot.

Food - I think for middle class Americans, Texas has the best cuisine. Pretty strong Asian presence, but great bbq and Mexican. I personally think with the bbq, the large Texas cities have the best overall food.

End of the day, I miss Texas and there's a lot to like. I lived there for 37 years so a lot of ties, memories and family. Enough to leave DC? Not right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 03:48 PM

1,011 posts, read 639,839 times
I have always preferred the friendlier, more laid-back attitudes of Texas than the more uptight, elitist, calculated attitudes of Northern Virginia.

Old 08-30-2016, 04:32 PM

Oh, one more thing regarding traffic, the people who haul ass and tailgate in Texas seem to be driving pickups.

Old 08-30-2016, 04:49 PM

1,004 posts, read 601,193 times
I've lived in different parts of the country and have observed that pickup truck drivers either drive really slow and plodding as if they're still in Mayberry or they drive extremely fast and enjoy tailgating. No in between.

While there are superficial similarities between NOVA and the major metros in Texas (Tysons Corner could just as easily be Uptown Houston; Wilson Blvd Corridor is superficially similar to Uptown Dallas; Reston is like Plano or the Woodlands; PW County reminds me of Katy or Cypress; etc.), I will say that Texans are a lot more laid back and friendlier than people in NOVA or the rest of the DMV area for that matter. Better food too...be that as it may, I'd rather stay here than move to Texas, but wouldnt turn down an opportunity in DFW or Houston

Old 08-30-2016, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
I've lived in different parts of the country and have observed that pickup truck drivers either drive really slow and plodding as if they're still in Mayberry or they drive extremely fast and enjoy tailgating. No in between.

While there are superficial similarities between NOVA and the major metros in Texas (Tysons Corner could just as easily be Uptown Houston; Wilson Blvd Corridor is superficially similar to Uptown Dallas; Reston is like Plano or the Woodlands; PW County reminds me of Katy or Cypress; etc.), I will say that Texans are a lot more laid back and friendlier than people in NOVA or the rest of the DMV area for that matter. Better food too...be that as it may, I'd rather stay here than move to Texas, but wouldnt turn down an opportunity in DFW or Houston
Both places are super diverse, but DC feels more authentic, if that makes sense. I don't mean just racially, the DC area has a lot of people from all parts of the country. You'd be giving yourself a pretty big pay raise if you move to Texas. It's a lot less expensive. I don't know if I'm necessarily ready to move back. I enjoy the 4 seasons, the hustle and bustle as well. It's noticeably hotter in a lot of parts of Texas.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:21 PM

18,637 posts, read 27,047,623 times
The heat and lack of urbanity are the two main reasons why I'm not in a hurry to go back to Texas myself. If I do go back to Texas, it's Houston or DFW myself. All three places are very diverse. The people of Texas are far more friendly though. It really isn't close. DC is not the friendliest of cities.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:37 PM

29,893 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The heat and lack of urbanity are the two main reasons why I'm not in a hurry to go back to Texas myself. If I do go back to Texas, it's Houston or DFW myself. All three places are very diverse. The people of Texas are far more friendly though. It really isn't close. DC is not the friendliest of cities.
You can say that again. I'm trying really hard to hold onto my Southern sensibilities but man...

Old 08-30-2016, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I have friends at work. Neighbors in my building do say hi, so it's not all bad. I don't think DC is your stereotypical cruel east coast city. And the daily metro ride is usually uneventful and quiet. While guarded, they do seem willing to help with directions and small talk.

I guess my complaint is just the service industry types.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:17 AM

1,004 posts, read 601,193 times
I lived in the South for about 20 years before moving to other parts of the country and while there are aspects of southern friendliness that I do like, I didn't like the invasive nature of a lot of people there in regards to personal and private matters (regarding religion, finances, etc.) or the insular attitudes and binary thinking many people there have. People in DC are not friendly, but I think its because a lot of people here are introverted and socially awkward - its type-A nerd central here. In terms of outright rudeness and unfriendliness in this region, I'd say Philadelphia and Boston are a lot worse in that aspect.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:26 AM

29,893 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
I lived in the South for about 20 years before moving to other parts of the country and while there are aspects of southern friendliness that I do like, I didn't like the invasive nature of a lot of people there in regards to personal and private matters (regarding religion, finances, etc.) or the insular attitudes and binary thinking many people there have. People in DC are not friendly, but I think its because a lot of people here are introverted and socially awkward - its type-A nerd central here. In terms of outright rudeness and unfriendliness in this region, I'd say Philadelphia and Boston are a lot worse in that aspect.
You don't really get that in the larger cities as much as the smaller cities/towns and suburban areas. But church doubles for both a social and religious thing in much of the South, more so than other regions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.