U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 03:25 PM

5,300 posts, read 3,312,452 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from NC and I think most people from that part of the south consider anything west of the Mississippi and north of the Mason-Dixon line to be "not the South". The exceptions are Arkansas and Louisiana. Texas isn't the north or the south... it's just Texas.

I bet someone originally from Texas, Louisiana, or Arkansas would consider Texas to be the South.

Oklahoma has some southern elements, but I don't think North Carolinians would consider it to be part of the South.

Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Sorry but you're very wrong. St. Louis and most of the counties north of Cape Girardeau are culturally, demographically, and linguistically not Southern. You have no idea what the South is.
I moved to Columbia, Missouri from North Carolina. My graduate advisor kept insisting that I was in the South. I kept reminding her that I'm from NC and that this is not at all the South. I don't think she had ever ventured out much. Even in the bootheel of Missouri, I still didn't feel like I was in the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 03:27 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,229,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I'm originally from NC and I think most people from that part of the south consider anything west of the Mississippi and north of the Mason-Dixon line to be "not the South". The exceptions are Arkansas and Louisiana. Texas isn't the north or the south... it's just Texas.

I bet someone originally from Texas, Louisiana, or Arkansas would consider Texas to be the South.

Oklahoma has some southern elements, but I don't think North Carolinians would consider it to be part of the South.
Arkansas and Louisiana and Texas are all solidly Southern and south of the Mason Dixon line.

Old 10-13-2016, 03:32 PM

54 posts, read 33,099 times
Having lived in Kansas for a large portion of my life, i never once considered it as "northern" or "southern". I considered it as the central of the United States . I always consider Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, as the "south"

Old 10-13-2016, 07:27 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,229,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanresources View Post
Having lived in Kansas for a large portion of my life, i never once considered it as "northern" or "southern". I considered it as the central of the United States . I always consider Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, as the "south"
Kansas is geographically central but culturally linguistically and demographically it is Northern.

Old 10-14-2016, 05:44 AM

2,082 posts, read 2,902,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
So, some people are trying to categorize St. Louis as southern. It's really subjective, and one opinion has no more value than the next. The reason? St. Louis is in Missouri, which is a part of the Midwest. Unless that changes, all of Missouri is Midwestern. It may have some southern influence, but it's not a part of the south.
Most people here are discussing culture, not what the census designation is. St. Louis is the midwest in every way. The bootheel is the south in every way except in census designation, just like northern Kentucky is the midwest in every way except in census designation.

Old 10-14-2016, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post

I moved to Columbia, Missouri from North Carolina. My graduate advisor kept insisting that I was in the South. I kept reminding her that I'm from NC and that this is not at all the South. I don't think she had ever ventured out much. Even in the bootheel of Missouri, I still didn't feel like I was in the South.
Columbia being called southern is laughable. Maybe your advisor was referring to Mizzou moving into the SEC?

I'm surprised that you say that about the bootheel. I can't think of a single thing about it that feels different than the south other than what state it is in.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:09 AM

436 posts, read 331,749 times
I would agree that Kansas is more southern than northern in terms of culture and linguistics. It's really along the same lines as Missouri in my regards, even being centrally located. There's really no shortage of the southern and country lifestyle in those states especially as you drift past the median north/south line bisecting the states.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:21 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,348,473 times
The most central point in the contiguous 48 is in Kansas not far from the Kansas-Nebraska border.
Geographic center of the contiguous United States - Wikipedia

Old 10-14-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjmars View Post
I would agree that Kansas is more southern than northern in terms of culture and linguistics. It's really along the same lines as Missouri in my regards, even being centrally located. There's really no shortage of the southern and country lifestyle in those states especially as you drift past the median north/south line bisecting the states.
All I can say is that you must be from the upper midwest or the northeast. Most people from Missouri don't sound southern unless they are from the bottom 1/3 or 1/4 of the state. There is still a pretty significant difference in mannerisms and food between the rural south and rural midwest.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:26 AM

2,199 posts, read 2,323,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjmars View Post
I would agree that Kansas is more southern than northern in terms of culture and linguistics.
You would be demonstrably wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or