U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-01-2016, 03:32 PM
 
Location: Nebraska
3,258 posts, read 1,638,323 times
Reputation: 2897

Advertisements

Denver late 1990s to be around 2000.

Denver had the excellent economy that has today but it was a very, very affordable city back then with a huge middle-class.

The city seemed to have just the right amount of people at the time and operated very efficiently and effectively.

The city was just as safe as it is today but still had the western grit that had until a decade ago that made it unique.

It was a far more laid-back city back then with a down to earth humble population and many interesting people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-02-2016, 02:48 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn, New York
3,754 posts, read 3,860,979 times
Reputation: 3570
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
NYC peaked around 2000-2003. Crime was low. Early-stage gentrification brought some cool things to formerly sleepy neighborhoods. Mexicans had just arrived, so you could finally get decent Mexican Food. Yankees AND Mets were good. Hypergentrification hadn't priced the middle-class out of the city, and it still FELT like NYC, as opposed to the ultimate 24hr yupsterville.
Umm... crime rate right now is almost half of what it was in 2000. Also, 9/11 happened in your time frame...
As far as OPs criteria is concerned, NYC is much more ethnically diverse place than at any other point and we have more parkland than ever.
The only criteria that really suffered is affordability, but thats an issue of the city simply becoming better to live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2016, 11:29 AM
 
311 posts, read 219,086 times
Reputation: 342
Philly in 1776 lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2016, 11:46 AM
 
7,744 posts, read 4,587,960 times
Reputation: 8454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Umm... crime rate right now is almost half of what it was in 2000. Also, 9/11 happened in your time frame...
As far as OPs criteria is concerned, NYC is much more ethnically diverse place than at any other point and we have more parkland than ever.
The only criteria that really suffered is affordability, but thats an issue of the city simply becoming better to live in.
How long have you been in NYC? No one is debating the fact that crime is lower now. The fact is that Yew York is more generic and less NEW YORK than it's been at any point in history.A lot of the magic is gone. As far as diversity goes, socioeconomic diversity is as important as racial diversity...and the city is only marginally more diverse now, than it was at the turn of the century, with Asians replacing ethnic whites and American whites replacing Af-Ams. Seriously, check the demographics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2016, 07:40 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, New York
3,754 posts, read 3,860,979 times
Reputation: 3570
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
How long have you been in NYC?
Why does it matter? FYI I have been living in New York since I was a kid, and I do remember pre-9/11 NYC.
Quote:
No one is debating the fact that crime is lower now. The fact is that Yew York is more generic and less NEW YORK than it's been at any point in history.A lot of the magic is gone. As far as diversity goes, socioeconomic diversity is as important as racial diversity...and the city is only marginally more diverse now, than it was at the turn of the century, with Asians replacing ethnic whites and American whites replacing Af-Ams. Seriously, check the demographics.
Why don't you look up the demographics? At the beginning of the 20th century NYC was something like 98% white, by 1970 it was 63% non-hispanic white, and here is the breakdown for 2000 vs 2010:

Year 2000:
white: 35%
black: 26.6%
asian: 9.9%
latino: 27%
other/mixed: 19%

Year 2010:
white: 33.3%
black: 25.5%
asian: 12.77%
latino: 28.58%
other/mixed: 17.68%

You can see that 2010 is literally the most diverse NYC has ever been in its history, and that's excluding the fact that both black and latino populations actually got more ethnically diverse compared to 2000 as well.
Not to mention that NYC is at a historic all time population high (over a million more people compared to 1990s), and there are more ethnic food restaurants, bars, nightlife, venues and events of all sorts than ever before.

Last edited by Gantz; 09-02-2016 at 07:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2016, 04:39 AM
 
Location: Albany, NY
51 posts, read 53,519 times
Reputation: 67
As far as NYC goes, I preferred it in the 1980s. The city had largely recovered from the doldrums and financial problems of the 70s, but was still inexpensive enough that artists and other creative types could afford to live there. The clubs were great - places like CBGB and Max's Kansas City were still open, and it didn't take a fat wallet and being recognizable from some reality show to get into them. You could go to the Village Gate for open mike nights and great, relatively cheap jazz shows - now it's closed, and most of the jazz clubs charge you $40 and a minimum food and drink tab for a "refined" experience. Times Square didn't look like it belonged in Orlando - some will disagree, but I preferred the days when the porno theaters and general seediness gave it some character. I'd say that was a heyday, but where NYC is concerned you can nominate just about any decade given that it's the nation's preeminent city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2016, 05:52 AM
 
7,744 posts, read 4,587,960 times
Reputation: 8454
Quote:
Originally Posted by caravan70 View Post
As far as NYC goes, I preferred it in the 1980s. The city had largely recovered from the doldrums and financial problems of the 70s, but was still inexpensive enough that artists and other creative types could afford to live there. The clubs were great - places like CBGB and Max's Kansas City were still open, and it didn't take a fat wallet and being recognizable from some reality show to get into them. You could go to the Village Gate for open mike nights and great, relatively cheap jazz shows - now it's closed, and most of the jazz clubs charge you $40 and a minimum food and drink tab for a "refined" experience. Times Square didn't look like it belonged in Orlando - some will disagree, but I preferred the days when the porno theaters and general seediness gave it some character. I'd say that was a heyday, but where NYC is concerned you can nominate just about any decade given that it's the nation's preeminent city.
Vehemently disagree. I remember NYC of the 80s, albeit as a child, so I can't speak to the nightlife. Like you, I actually miss the seedier Times Square, but the 80s were the crack years. The city was an absolute nightmare of crime and homelessness. Housing projects and shelters were overflowing, and the city had to house the homeless and hotels they came to be known as welfare hotels. You couldn't walk 10 feet without stepping on a crack vial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top