U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 12:12 PM

2 posts, read 3,272 times

Advertisements

Hello all, first time poster here looking for some opinions. I'm living in Utah right now and am looking to get out. I feel this place is a bit too narrow minded overall and I hate the cold weather during the winter time. I'm looking to move somewhere without the snow and that I can hopefully make a living working as a delivery courier year round on either bike or motorcycle. I'm not interested in owning a car. I've looked up cities that companies such as Postmates, Ubereats, etc. work out of and Vegas and Phoenix are two that are always on the list. Would Nevada's no income tax be a big check in its favor for a courier? I also have read that Vegas stays a little cooler than Phoenix during the summer which might be a benefit doing that type of work. Also, I've heard Phoenix is very spread out which might make deliveries slower which means less cash to be made. I have no firsthand knowledge on either city. Both are close enough to Utah that I could still visit family here.

A little about me... I'm a male in my mid twenties. An introvert over the party scene and much more of a homebody now. Politically I'm socially liberal and fiscally conservative. A live and let live type I guess. I don't have any expensive hobbies and can get by without a lot of money. A minimalist for sure. I really don't want to do the 9-5 job thing anymore. It's too draining being around bosses/co-workers just to make a buck...

Well thanks for taking the time to read and any insight is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 12:15 PM

18,927 posts, read 6,856,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19000rgm View Post
Hello all, first time poster here looking for some opinions. I'm living in Utah right now and am looking to get out. I feel this place is a bit too narrow minded overall and I hate the cold weather during the winter time. I'm looking to move somewhere without the snow and that I can hopefully make a living working as a delivery courier year round on either bike or motorcycle. I'm not interested in owning a car. I've looked up cities that companies such as Postmates, Ubereats, etc. work out of and Vegas and Phoenix are two that are always on the list. Would Nevada's no income tax be a big check in its favor for a courier? I also have read that Vegas stays a little cooler than Phoenix during the summer which might be a benefit doing that type of work. Also, I've heard Phoenix is very spread out which might make deliveries slower which means less cash to be made. I have no firsthand knowledge on either city. Both are close enough to Utah that I could still visit family here.

A little about me... I'm a male in my mid twenties. An introvert over the party scene and much more of a homebody now. Politically I'm socially liberal and fiscally conservative. A live and let live type I guess. I don't have any expensive hobbies and can get by without a lot of money. A minimalist for sure. I really don't want to do the 9-5 job thing anymore. It's too draining being around bosses/co-workers just to make a buck...

Well thanks for taking the time to read and any insight is much appreciated.
There is more work for couriers in Phoenix, and summer is about the same both places, at least July is. I almost moved to Las Vegas two years ago from Phoenix, and I'm glad I didn't. Let's put it that way

Old 08-31-2016, 12:28 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,519,707 times
Phoenix for sure.

Old 08-31-2016, 02:02 PM

5,616 posts, read 3,936,707 times
Have you ridden a motorcycle with a helmet and gear on in 116-degree heat? Come down here in mid June and try it, see if you like it. I guarantee you wont. lol

Vegas is a bit cooler in summer and winter, which is quite nice, IMO.

Old 08-31-2016, 03:04 PM

432 posts, read 356,224 times
haha Move to Phoenix over vegas.

Old 08-31-2016, 03:13 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,015,302 times
Go to Las Vegas. It is more compact and slightly cooler. It is a 24 hour city, so courier opportunities likely far exceed anything here in Phoenix where people hit the sheets around sunset. There are far more restaurants per capita, including 24 hour places in Vegas, making Ubereats that much more in demand.

Old 08-31-2016, 03:18 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,400,744 times
My opinion, Vegas to party, Phoenix to live in day to day.

Old 08-31-2016, 03:19 PM

3,254 posts, read 1,631,733 times
Las Vegas is much more dense and easier to get around. It is on a grid also and much easier without a car then Phoenix.

Phoenix is very, very spread out. I knew before I lived there how spread out it is and I could hardly believe it. It makes Las Vegas and Denver seem tiny in comparison. Las Vegas feels like density city compared to Phoenix.

Both cities are made for the car with long streets on a grid, but Las Vegas is far easier without a car.

I would think a courier job would much better in Las Vegas as it does feel very dense compared to most western metropolitan areas.

Both Phoenix and Las Vegas are married, family cities but Phoenix is very married and family-oriented. The culture of Metro Phoenix is just as conservative as the Salt Lake City area.

Las Vegas is a libertarian city, but introverted it is not. Phoenix is far less libertarian but is very introverted. With so many people working in tourism and hospitality in Las Vegas it would be impossible to be introverted as a city.

Las Vegas tends to have a less extreme temperatures in May and June temperatures then Phoenix. In fact, May in Las Vegas is still very comfortable as opposed to Phoenix which is already has very hot temperatures.

Las Vegas and Phoenix have very similar temperatures in July

Phoenix will have more moderate weather in August. Phoenix has a strong monsoon as opposed to Las Vegas which means much more rain, humidity, but more days with slightly more moderate/cooler temperatures. There is much more cloudiness also in Phoenix in the late summer as opposed to Las Vegas which has a sunny summer with little relief.

Las Vegas also has more reasonable rents then Phoenix. Both are cheaper then Salt Lake City, but Phoenix has been appreciating rather rapidly because so many large companies have been moving to Phoenix.

In my humble opinion, I would think Las Vegas would be a much better city.

Last edited by lovecrowds; 08-31-2016 at 03:28 PM..

Old 08-31-2016, 03:25 PM

18,927 posts, read 6,856,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Las Vegas is much more dense and easier to get around. It is on a grid also and much easier without a car then Phoenix.

Phoenix is very, very spread out. I knew before I lived there how spread out it is and I could hardly believe it.

It makes Las Vegas and Denver seem tiny in comparison. Las Vegas feels like density city compared to Phoenix.

Both cities are made for the car with long streets on a grid, but Las Vegas is far easier without a car.

I would think a courier job would much better in Las Vegas as it does feel very dense compared to most western metropolitan areas.

Phoenix is a conservative, comformist metropolitan area as opposed to Las Vegas.

Both Phoenix and Las Vegas are married, family cities but Phoenix is very married and family-oriented.

The only areas that are not family-oriented in metro Phoenix are North Tempe and Scottsdale.

Las Vegas is a libertarian city, but introverted it is not. Phoenix is far less libertarian but is very introverted.

Las Vegas tends to have a less extreme temperatures in May and June temperatures then Phoenix.

Las Vegas and Phoenix have very similar temperatures in July

Phoenix will have more moderate weather in August. Phoenix has a strong monsoon as opposed to Las Vegas which means much more rain, humidity, but more days with slightly cooler temperatures.

Las Vegas also has more reasonable rents then Phoenix. Both are cheaper then Salt Lake City, but Phoenix has been appreciating rather rapidly because so many large companies have been moving to Phoenix.
Only the strip, which isn't even in the Vegas city limits is easy to traverse without a car. And Vegas is not that much more dense than Phoenix as you make it out to be. They both have about 6,000ppsm in the populated parts of both cities. And I'd say public transport is better in Phoenix, especially with the light rail, which just got expanded further this year

Old 08-31-2016, 10:16 PM

2 posts, read 3,272 times
Seems pretty split from the responses so far... I think I've been sold on Vegas slightly more than Phoenix but I should do more research. Visiting both before a final move is not an option unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or