U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which culture do you prefer?
LA 14 24.14%
Chicago 19 32.76%
Boston 13 22.41%
Atlanta 7 12.07%
Denver 2 3.45%
Phoenix 5 8.62%
Other state below 12 20.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 06:42 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,124,669 times

Advertisements

Chicago is 1 part NYC, one part Cleveland and one part Minneapolis culturally. Outgoing and friendly, polite in small groups but selfish in crowds. Most areas have a slightly blue-collar feel except for certain areas, which are like Manhattan wannabes. Definitely an 'underdog' mentality about being the 'second city' (and if you point out that it's probably actually the third they don't appreciate it).

Best large city in America IMO. Phenomenal service in public businesses. Locals are outgoing. Sports, food, outdoor recreation in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 07:41 PM

3,491 posts, read 5,663,351 times
Out of those cities I prefer Phoenix.

Old 09-10-2016, 04:04 PM

3,254 posts, read 1,632,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post

Denver (I'm a Denver native btw) is changing rapidly. Even as recently as 5 years ago, the city was a very, very "casual" place (probably the worst dressed city in America) full of old, crappy cars, old looking houses (although many have been fully renovated and modernized on the inside) and also a lot of that work to live kind of culture. Very strong outdoors athletic (or wannabe athletic) subculture and very strong support for local sports teams. Tons of communal festivals going on all summer long (in contrast to cities like Phoenix or LA). For the most part, Denver is just an average middle America kind of city-- with an attitude (good or bad depending on one's opinion). I agree with David Aguilar that the people here have a "freeze" and are kind of phony. There is a lot of this "native"/ "CO Yay!" pride crap has gone too far which you just don't get in SoCal or in Phoenix. Granted, most of what made Denver Denver 5 years ago are still true, but now prices have gone through the roof and the city has gotten so much more dense and crowded that a lot of that laidback-ness that Denver used to have is gone.
I sure miss the Denver of the 90s but then again many people I might just be nostalgic for when I was younger.

I remember there used to be a joke about people living in Washington Park having old, run-down Suburu's that were worth less then their ski's.

I remember Denver used to be outdated, gritty but interesting in the 1990s. Most have the older apartments that were remodeled once every 50 years in Capitol Hill are now upscale condos with stainless steel appliances.

It seemed like Denver used to be a casual city where it was easy to just have a conversation out of the blue. Now, many of people are trying to emulate the upscale-lifestyle magazines and try to act like the city is some sort of a Nordic resort when its just a city on the plains.

Then again it is not unique to Denver, many former laid-back cities are trying very hard to be pretentious, overrated, bourgeois resorts

Old 09-11-2016, 05:34 AM

3,144 posts, read 2,826,606 times
The Great Lakes culture is my favorite. Buffalo, Rochester, Cleveland, Toledo, Ann Arbor.

Old 09-11-2016, 08:58 AM

3,399 posts, read 4,801,179 times
Hmmm, no mention of San Diego, Miami or D.C.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or