Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 06:21 AM

12,805 posts, read 9,529,246 times

Advertisements

Picturesque, middle America, small bustling downtown. I love his art work. I know he painted NYC as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 06:34 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Picturesque, middle America, small bustling downtown. I love his art work. I know he painted NYC as well.
Norman Rockwell was from the Northeast/New England.

Old 09-01-2016, 06:52 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
Norman Rockwell lived and worked in Stockbridge, MA. The museum there houses his work. Stockbridge is very quaint, and well worth visiting. New England has many towns that have the same feeling as his paintings. I was just in MA last week, and passed through several towns like this.
If you go to Stockbridge, make sure to dine at The Red Lion Inn.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:13 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,235,535 times
Quote:
That is because he grew up in New York City and lived there and nearby suburbs for many years.

But because he began to be a illustrator for national magazines while he was still a teenager, many of his painting and drawings have a "Americana" look to them. Not so much a specific city or town but a generalized American city or town that anyone could identify with.

There is something about his paintings that are innocent, quaint and comforting to people.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:18 AM

12,805 posts, read 9,529,246 times
I think a place like Ann Arbor, w/o the giant university in it has the feel.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:53 AM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
I think a place like Ann Arbor, w/o the giant university in it has the feel.
How? It is quite urban and while it has areas in its Downtown that look like some of his paintings, it definitely has more modern urbanity.

Anyway, I'd say that a place like Skaneateles NY would work: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sk...!6m1!1e1?hl=en

Old 09-01-2016, 08:14 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,672,030 times
Greenwood, Mississippi.

https://padresteve.files.wordpress.c...njustice-1.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 09-01-2016 at 10:01 AM..

Old 09-01-2016, 09:15 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
Quote:
Though Norman Rockwell supposedly depicted life in New England, I agree it always felt (and still does) seems more representative of small town life in the Midwest/Plains states.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:25 AM

12,818 posts, read 21,988,267 times
When I think of Rockwell, I think of the Berkshires, or some of the more "alive" communities in Western Mass and Southern Vermont.

Northampton, MA jumps out the most, although it is kind of collegiate. Stockbridge (for obvious reasons) is another one and neighboring Lee as well. I've always thought Shelburne Falls fits the description nicely too. In Vermont, Brattleboro and Bellows Falls jump out the most, but there are others. I've always felt Littleton, NH and Keene, NH gave off the vibe as well.

Aesthetically speaking, there are probably hundreds of older towns in New England, the Mid-Atlantic, and the Midwest that fit the bill. The hard (and sad) part is trying to find one that A) Is still vibrant/active and B) not built around a major university.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Though Norman Rockwell supposedly depicted life in New England, I agree it always felt (and still does) seems more representative of small town life in the Midwest/Plains states.
There's probably some truth to that. When Norman Rockwell depicted life in rural New England, it was at a time that life in that area looked a lot more like life in the Midwest. It's different now, although many of those towns in the Berkshires and CT/VT are still good examples of the world of Rockwell.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:33 AM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
When I think of Rockwell, I think of the Berkshires, or some of the more "alive" communities in Western Mass and Southern Vermont.

Northampton, MA jumps out the most, although it is kind of collegiate. Stockbridge (for obvious reasons) is another one and neighboring Lee as well. I've always thought Shelburne Falls fits the description nicely too. In Vermont, Brattleboro and Bellows Falls jump out the most, but there are others. I've always felt Littleton, NH and Keene, NH gave off the vibe as well.

Aesthetically speaking, there are probably hundreds of older towns in New England, the Mid-Atlantic, and the Midwest that fit the bill. The hard (and sad) part is trying to find one that A) Is still vibrant/active and B) not built around a major university.

There's probably some truth to that. When Norman Rockwell depicted life in rural New England, it was at a time that life in that area looked a lot more like life in the Midwest. It's different now, although many of those towns in the Berkshires and CT/VT are still good examples of the world of Rockwell.
I was going to say that you get the sense from his paintings of a more simpler time in a quaint small town setting. I think the architecture of the communities in his paintings gives off a New England/Northeastern small town look.

Hudson NY, a small, vibrant and ethnically diverse city of about 6500 south of Albany would fit. It is actually known for its art/antique scene and doesn't have a college. Nearby Chatham is another community that has that look.

Owego, Clayton and Watkins Glen are a few NY villages that would fit as well. Seneca Falls(a CDP/former village) is another one. Same for East Aurora and Cooperstown.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-01-2016 at 11:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.