U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 11:21 AM

213 posts, read 208,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Cow tipping? I never saw that anywhere in Ohio.
Heard of it growing up in Arkansas!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 07:51 PM

17,669 posts, read 4,066,013 times
Midland,Texas-white collar stereotype is mostly true.Another stereotype is that were mostly oil and gas and thats very true. Another true stereotype is that were krazy about the Friday Night Lights.

Old 06-19-2019, 01:20 PM

4,221 posts, read 2,505,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post

I still cannot believe Milwaukee/Wisconsin doesn't have an NHL team.
Despite it being my dream, it's never gonna happen.

Old 06-19-2019, 03:04 PM

1,230 posts, read 794,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Despite it being my dream, it's never gonna happen.
Why not?

Milwaukee:

Baseball: check.
Basketball: check.
Football: GB, check.
Hockey:

Despite Wisconsin being perhaps the most fitting climate for a hockey team, and Wisconsin being a big sports centric state, I don't understand why it wouldn't be possible.

Old 06-19-2019, 03:26 PM

760 posts, read 588,972 times
Denver, CO: Mountain obsessed, outerwear formal, heavy "social" beer drinkers, heavy "social" pot heads, favoring recreational drugs.

Not everyone obviously...but a much higher percentage than anywhere else in the country. I think Seattle beats Denver for heavy Marijuana consumption though.

Old 06-19-2019, 05:57 PM

5,888 posts, read 6,321,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Cow tipping? I never saw that anywhere in Ohio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlove View Post
Heard of it growing up in Arkansas!!
It takes several guys to do this, requires more force than pushing a car.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:09 PM

883 posts, read 440,209 times
Quote:
Why not?

Milwaukee:

Hockey:

Despite Wisconsin being perhaps the most fitting climate for a hockey team, and Wisconsin being a big sports centric state, I don't understand why it wouldn't be possible.
Almost the most fitting but your western neighbor probably takes that crown. Still, WI needs hockey.

Old 06-20-2019, 06:46 AM

4,221 posts, read 2,505,774 times
Quote:
Why not?

Milwaukee:

Hockey:

A little thing called Chicago is why not. We don't have the population or media share. Trust me, I'd be the first in line for season tickets but it's not practical. We have the Admirals, a 90 mile train ride to the Blackhawks or a 80 mile car ride to see the Badgers. We're good. My kids are in youth hockey here and they have a great program but hockey isn't exactly huge in Milwaukee.

The Pettit family actually considered buying the Hartford Whalers and relocating them to Milwaukee and then considered an expansion team but balked at the fee. They build the Pettit Olympic speed skating/ice rink instead.

But back to the topic, Wisconsin has a lot of cheese. There are cheese stores up and down every highway in the state. Oh, and frozen custard. Yummy frozen custard. And beer everywhere. I can walk to two beer gardens in public parks from my house.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:10 AM

291 posts, read 121,758 times
No representation for the City of Brotherly Love? We have plenty of stereotypes (some true, others not so much). Here are the ones I think hold water.

Philadelphia:
Sports crazed, ravenous fans: Google "grease the light poles" or "Gritty tattoo" for starters.

Rude, angry, unlawful and dangerous drivers: it is really worse than anywhere I have lived or visited, and I have lived and visited quite a few places. People will go around you for stopping at stop signs, honk after 1/2 sec of a light changing to green, cut you off at pedestrian right-aways, and drive on the (very narrow) shoulder of 76 to cut traffic. The list goes on.

Good food: I think this is generally understood about the city, but what may not be understood is that it goes far beyond cheesesteaks and pretzels.

Trash: The problem is ridiculous in *some* parts of the city. What is often not understood is that many parts of the city are beautiful and well kept.

There are many more stereotypes about the city, but I think they are often exaggerated or simply untrue. The city has a ways to go to shake many of its negative stereotypes and hype up the positive transformation the city has undergone in the last decade or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.