U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 04:33 PM

627 posts, read 273,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
That's not the question.
Meant southeast my bad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2016, 05:41 PM

6,060 posts, read 3,384,906 times
Quote:
I think it's interesting how many people want to end the Northeast before you get to Buffalo, but are willing to extend the southeast west of Chicago. Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky and the gulf states are clearly the SOUTH, just not the Southeast.
But the North also goes further east than the South. The eastern most part of the South is the Outer Banks of NC.. New York City is further east than that. If you take the span of western most Arkansas to eastern most North Carolina.. its not a whole lot further than westernmost Pennsylvania to easternmost Maine. The US east coast curves northeasterly.

Old 09-03-2016, 05:43 PM

The Southeast is

VA, KY, TN, NC, SC, GA, FL, AL, MS, LA, AR..

Texas and Oklahoma are the SOUTH but not SouthEAST. They're Southwest, though different than Arizona and New Mexico. They're SOUTHwest more than southWEST.

Old 09-03-2016, 05:46 PM

78 posts, read 56,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
The Southeast is

VA, KY, TN, NC, SC, GA, FL, AL, MS, LA, AR..

Texas and Oklahoma are the SOUTH but not SouthEAST. They're Southwest, though different than Arizona and New Mexico. They're SOUTHwest more than southWEST.
At one point, AR, LA, even MS and AL were considered to be Southwestern.

Old 09-03-2016, 05:51 PM

The problem is that the South is a huge region, relatively homogeneous in demographics, geography and climate; basically the same types of racial societies (black and white) landscapes and climate can be seen from Virginia all the way to East Texas. Alot of times, it ends up that the dividing line between the "South Central" and the "Southeast" are completely arbitrary.

Honestly, I'd just limit the SE to the Eastern Time Zone. Then, the Gulf Coast states (from AL to Texas), along with places like AR and OK, are South Central.

Old 09-03-2016, 06:36 PM

29,940 posts, read 27,365,450 times
Quote:
I think it's interesting how many people want to end the Northeast before you get to Buffalo, but are willing to extend the southeast west of Chicago. Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky and the gulf states are clearly the SOUTH, just not the Southeast.
TN is definitely Southeastern in my estimation. I consider KY to be the same, but bordering the Midwest I can understand the objection. AR is borderline for me but probably best classified as South Central.

Old 09-03-2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostInTheMatrix View Post
At one point, AR, LA, even MS and AL were considered to be Southwestern.
Yes, but now that the US is spread out from sea to shining sea and the far west is no longer the Mississippi river, we can easily see that Alabama, Arkansas and Louisiana are not western at all.

Old 09-03-2016, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Yes, but now that the US is spread out from sea to shining sea and the far west is no longer the Mississippi river, we can easily see that Alabama, Arkansas and Louisiana are not western at all.
Yes, and the same now goes for Texas and Oklahoma as well.

However, the fact that ALL share a history of being considered "the West" for at least some point in time, allow them all to belong together with their own region. The entire region from AL as far west at least to East Texas is its own region.

Old 09-03-2016, 07:20 PM

29,940 posts, read 27,365,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostInTheMatrix View Post
Yes, and the same now goes for Texas and Oklahoma as well.

However, the fact that ALL share a history of being considered "the West" for at least some point in time, allow them all to belong together with their own region. The entire region from AL as far west at least to East Texas is its own region.
What region is that? AL isn't South Central; it's Southeastern for sure. Unless you're talking about the Gulf Coast which is also a cultural subregion.

Old 09-03-2016, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
What region is that? AL isn't South Central; it's Southeastern for sure.
AL I'd say is South Central because it is in the Central Time Zone, and has had a history where it, at one point, was considered the frontier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.