U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 07:22 PM

5,691 posts, read 8,760,259 times

Advertisements

Gladhands, you do know East TN is in the eastern time zone, don't you?

I just counted 35 businesses in the Knoxville phone book alone starting with southeast or southeastern. But I guess you know better than they do.

There are only 5 businesses starting with Mid- south for comparison. For all I know they are branches of Nashville companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2016, 07:26 PM

29,940 posts, read 27,375,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostInTheMatrix View Post
AL I'd say is South Central because it is in the Central Time Zone, and has had a history where it, at one point, was considered the frontier.
Very, very few sources put AL in the South Central region. The closest I've seen is one that makes it East South Central while TX, LA, OK, and AR are West South Central:

But I'm more than willing to bet that AL sources predominantly categorize the state as Southeastern. The Mississippi River is most often seen as the dividing line here, not time zones.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 09-03-2016 at 08:10 PM..

Old 09-03-2016, 09:43 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,746,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo-Fi View Post
This, except West Virginia, which is clearly not Southeast by any reasonable explanation.
By any reasonable explanation? Please explain.

It would be nice if people would not just give a list, but explain. After all, this is City Data, but I see no data in most of the posts on CD.

Old 09-03-2016, 09:59 PM

5,293 posts, read 3,510,480 times
People seem to be forgetting that half of the Florida panhandle is in the Central Time Zone.

Old 09-03-2016, 10:11 PM

6,488 posts, read 16,157,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Very, very few sources put AL in the South Central region. The closest I've seen is one that makes it East South Central while TX, LA, OK, and AR are West South Central:

But I'm more than willing to bet that AL sources predominantly categorize the state as Southeastern. The Mississippi River is most often seen as the dividing line here, not time zones.
Put those South Atlantic and East South Central regions together and you have a good "Southeast" region, IMO.

Old 09-03-2016, 10:36 PM

2,233 posts, read 1,512,012 times
I always considered the southeast as Florida, Georgia, south and North Carolina. Maybe sometimes throw Alabama and Tennessee in the mix. Kentucky, Virginia, Louisiana, Arkansas are all so far away.

Old 09-03-2016, 10:57 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,226,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
The Southeast is centered on the four Southern states that line the Atlantic seaboard: North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and Florida.

Virginia is too far north to be considered Southeast; in my definition, it's Mid-Atlantic along with Delaware, Maryland and DC.

Kentucky and West Virginia are too far north and too landlocked/removed from the Atlantic seaboard to be considered part of the Southeast; those states comprise the region of Appalachia.

Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, Louisiana and Arkansas are South-Central. Missouri and especially Kansas are not Southern states.

Texas and Oklahoma are the Western South, but definitely comprise more of a transitional region due to regional influences from the Southern, Southwestern, Great Plains/Midwestern and Mexican cultural zones.
Virginia is NOT Mid-Atlantic. It is Southeast culturally, linguistically, demographically, and historically.

Old 09-04-2016, 05:49 AM

29,940 posts, read 27,375,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Put those South Atlantic and East South Central regions together and you have a good "Southeast" region, IMO.
Yeah that would pretty much represent my core definition, minus MD and DE.

Old 09-04-2016, 05:57 AM

970 posts, read 1,640,800 times
Which is more southeastern and mid-atlantical, New Mexico or N.Dakota?

Old 09-04-2016, 06:00 AM

7,704 posts, read 4,566,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

This map's South Atlantic is pretty much my Sourheast, except for the fact that I put Maryland in the Northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.