U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 08:09 PM

78 posts, read 56,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankOcean View Post
That's usually how I feel about Rural Texas.

Compared to Rural MS, AL, and GA, Texas always felt a bit more religious, right-wing, gun-toting, and etc.
He said the exact opposite of what you are saying here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 08:27 PM

6,060 posts, read 3,386,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostInTheMatrix View Post
Yes, those scrubby, plains areas are WEST of the DFW metro. Like I said, the I-35 corridor and eastward has the eastern aesthetic as it regards scenery. The DFW landscape is a humid prairie/cross-timbers region, not the true semi-arid short-grass prairie typical of the west.

Actually, it is largely agreed upon that Dallas is the "eastern" side of a transition, if the DFW metro were to constitute such a division. Areas west of DFW are on the "western" side.

And once again, "Southern" is a state of culture, not landscape. Why do you think many Central/South Floridians are trying to swear up and down that they are not Southern, when they have many of the same plants and animals associated with the South (alligators, bald cypress, pines, spanish moss, live oaks, etc).

No, it is about climate. Dallas is a humid climate, which gets as much rain as cities like Chicago or Detroit, or even more. The "plains" in Dallas aren't the real, western plains; they are humid prairies typical of the East, and are completely edaphic (meaning that the prairie's existence is largely a factor of the soil).

As far as Florida's prairies, yes, there are the Everglades and saw-grass prairies. They are what are known as "wet prairies," which, in many cases, can look quite indistinguishable from marsh:
Campus Ecosystem Model (CEM)

Then you have areas known as "dry prairie:"
Dry Prairie in Florida // LandScope America

Remember Chicago has a huge chunk of the year where it's too cold too rain so that may skew the data. Counting rain and snow, Chicago has about 150 precipitation days, where as Dallas has about 80.

And the people who live in FL and say they're not "southern" are the ones who

A. moved from up north and are true to their hometown/state.

B. pretentious people who think "southern" automatically equates "hillbilly." I've never disassociated myself from the South.

Old 09-04-2016, 08:34 PM

20 posts, read 18,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostInTheMatrix View Post
He said the exact opposite of what you are saying here.
Hmm, might have a point.

*Kermit head nod*

Old 09-04-2016, 08:56 PM

78 posts, read 56,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Remember Chicago has a huge chunk of the year where it's too cold too rain so that may skew the data. Counting rain and snow, Chicago has about 150 precipitation days, where as Dallas has about 80.

And the people who live in FL and say they're not "southern" are the ones who

A. moved from up north and are true to their hometown/state.

B. pretentious people who think "southern" automatically equates "hillbilly." I've never disassociated myself from the South.
Actually, rain and snow precipitation days are already counted differently, as per the weather charts. Regardless, Dallas still gets more rainfall annually than Chicago, or many other Midwestern cities. 30 inches of rain is wet enough to support forest, and Dallas has above that amount; it only has prairie due to edaphic (soil) technicalities.

I agree that all of Florida is southern, but was just using that sentiment as an example of how "Southern" is largely a matter of culture, rather than geography.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:41 PM

6,520 posts, read 7,463,600 times
Quote:
But the North also goes further east than the South. The eastern most part of the South is the Outer Banks of NC.. New York City is further east than that. If you take the span of western most Arkansas to eastern most North Carolina.. its not a whole lot further than westernmost Pennsylvania to easternmost Maine. The US east coast curves northeasterly.

I was going to point out the same thing. The northern US is much wider east to west than is the South. That is why places like Wisconsin and Michigan seem so far west to a New Englander, when those states are no further west than Tennessee or Alabama in the South. Here in Tennessee we are a 5 hour drive to the east coast. In Michigan it is at least a 10-12 hour drive to reach Atlantic blue water.

Anyone doubt how much wider the North is should try to drive from Maine to Washington state. Compare that to the drive from Savannah Georgia to San Diego CA. It is a much easier drive in the South.

Old 09-04-2016, 10:46 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,160,241 times
Quote:
The scenery of Texas is actually western, however. It's mostly plains, and further west its desert and canyons. Ditto for Oklahoma. Texas' westernmost point is further west than Denver.

Can't get much more western than cowboys and open ranges.
There are cowboys in the south. And only part of the state of Texas has terrain that could be described as truly western.

There is absolutely no valid definition of "the southeast" that could include Louisiana and Arkansas but not East Texas.

Old 09-04-2016, 10:49 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,160,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee2 View Post
It's amazing how similar New Mexico looks to most of Texas. If it weren't for the border sign you truly would not notice any difference.

Definitely prototypical Western.
Absolute bulls---. Most of Texas is far too humid and green to resemble any part of New Mexico.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ted_States.png

Old 09-05-2016, 06:05 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,592,169 times
Regarding Texas, any of the areas to the east of the Yellow shaded region could be considered the Southeast to me.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:11 PM

63 posts, read 45,099 times

I would say all the dark red but many people add the light red ones.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:25 PM

1,223 posts, read 581,166 times
I've always thought the Southeast equals the South Atlantic states (or it should in theory...especially when the North it Mid-West and Northeast).

Some of these maps that are supposed to be Southeast are strange because they are basically the entire South sans TX and OK....that's like saying that the Northeast ends at MN and Iowa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.