U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 10:58 PM

7,150 posts, read 9,934,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
I've always thought the Southeast equals the South Atlantic states (or it should in theory...especially when the North it Mid-West and Northeast).

Some of these maps that are supposed to be Southeast are strange because they are basically the entire South sans TX and OK....that's like saying that the Northeast ends at MN and Iowa.
That is because the North, unlike the South, has long been divided into two separate regions (the Midwest and the Northeast). So you really cannot compare the North with the South.

I have been a map junkie since I was a teenager so I more or less see the Southeast as being EAST of the Mississippi River and SOUTH of the Ohio River. Not sure where I got this idea from but it is certainly true that major rivers like the Mississippi and the Ohio make excellent boundary lines for political and geographical reasons.

If you look up "Southeastern United States" and then look at images you will see that most agree with me. Very often they also include Louisiana and Arkansas as part of the Southeast but almost never Texas and Oklahoma. Texas and Oklahoma are usually considered "South Central" and sometimes confusingly even Southwest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_South_Central_States (South Central States aka "Trans-Mississippi" for Civil War buffs)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-...ppi_Department
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 12:06 AM
Status: "They say progress but I see degeneracy." (set 4 days ago)

1,246 posts, read 589,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
That is because the North, unlike the South, has long been divided into two separate regions (the Midwest and the Northeast). So you really cannot compare the North with the South.

I have been a map junkie since I was a teenager so I more or less see the Southeast as being EAST of the Mississippi River and SOUTH of the Ohio River. Not sure where I got this idea from but it is certainly true that major rivers like the Mississippi and the Ohio make excellent boundary lines for political and geographical reasons.

If you look up "Southeastern United States" and then look at images you will see that most agree with me. Very often they also include Louisiana and Arkansas as part of the Southeast but almost never Texas and Oklahoma. Texas and Oklahoma are usually considered "South Central" and sometimes confusingly even Southwest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_South_Central_States (South Central States aka "Trans-Mississippi" for Civil War buffs)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-...ppi_Department
Additionally, I've always associated the South Centrals & Southeast with time zones too (in elementary school). It's kind of ridiculous for the TN or MS person to observe Central Time and be like "I'm from the Southeast, man." No, you're from the South Central or Mid-South (throw Alabama in there too). It's all about association with me (time zones).

Old 09-06-2016, 06:43 AM

338 posts, read 247,885 times
Quote:
Additionally, I've always associated the South Centrals & Southeast with time zones too (in elementary school). It's kind of ridiculous for the TN or MS person to observe Central Time and be like "I'm from the Southeast, man." No, you're from the South Central or Mid-South (throw Alabama in there too). It's all about association with me (time zones).
Not exactly true for Tennessee as the state straddles two time zones, Eastern for East Tennessee and Central for Middle and West Tennessee. I see your point though.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:46 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,351,053 times
The Southeast is the South minus Oklahoma and Texas.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:11 AM

29,973 posts, read 27,498,725 times
Quote:
If that's the case, then you should be consistent and apply that line of reasoning to the North. All the Northern states in EST should be the Northeast (OH, MI, IN), and all the ones in CST should be Midwest.

As was stated, the Mississippi and Ohio rivers are most often seen as the regional boundaries for the Southeast, more or less. Most definitions of the Southeast align with that.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:30 AM

1,587 posts, read 991,046 times
Gladhands,
My opinion, SouthEast is basically Virginia and the Carolinas.
States like Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, etc are Deep, Dirty South..

I would say Eastern Shore of Maryland & Georgia could also be considered culturally and geographically SouthEast.. but I mainly think VA & Carolinas when I hear SouthEast (distinguished from the rest of the South). Just my take.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:37 AM

12,472 posts, read 11,975,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
Yeah, this is how I view it too. The Southeast is not the southern version of the Northeast. It's the southern portion of the Eastern United States - all Southern states which aren't in the Southwest. Although there have been attempts to create it, there is no "mid south" or "south Central" region of the country. This makes sense, because culturally speaking the South mostly changes based upon latitude/elevation - from deep coastal plain to Piedmont to Appalachia. Or on a statewide basis, the Gulf Coast states are much more similar to Georgia or South Carolina than they are to Tennessee (minus Memphis) or Kentucky).

Old 09-06-2016, 08:09 AM

345 posts, read 338,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
/thread.

Southeast= South without Texas or Oklahoma

Old 09-06-2016, 08:14 AM

7,747 posts, read 4,602,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funtraveler1 View Post
/thread.

Southeast= South without Texas or Oklahoma
Not entirely certain that either Texas or Oklahoma are the South. East Texas is the South, but it also straddles the Midlands and Southwest.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:36 AM

345 posts, read 338,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Not entirely certain that either Texas or Oklahoma are the South. East Texas is the South, but it also straddles the Midlands and Southwest.
lol I lived in both, Oklahoma is straight south.

For Texas, I agree when you go west of the triangle it gets western quick, but in it all, Texas is a southern state. Most of the state lives in the part considered the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.