U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 05:55 PM

1,230 posts, read 974,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlf123 View Post
Can you tell me where in New Hampshire you would suggest moving to?
I lived in the seacoast region which is decent but probably the most congested area of the state. It's not terribly congested but it's not "country" either. It's like an exurb of the Boston metro area so I'm not sure if you'd like it.

It's hard to go wrong in NH though as far as finding a nice town. I'd avoid Rochester since it has a reputation as a slum even though it's not dangerous at all to me being from NY and Memphis. That place goes years without seeing a single murder.

Unfortunately there aren't many towns close to Manchester or Concord with low property taxes unless you're willing to commute a little bit. Depending on how much you save, it might not be worth it to commute for lower property taxes anyway. However the Lakes region typically has the lowest property taxes in the state. Alton would be decent (45 minute commute to Concord) but that of course would be a little longer when it snows.

Here's a map of property taxes in NH by town:
New Hampshire Property Tax Rates | NH Town Property Taxes

Should be noted though that even with NH's property taxes, it still has a lower overall tax burden than NY. I think you'd be taking a step up even if you choose the town with the highest property taxes in the state but it depends on how much you spend and how much you make. Overall I think at best NH is quite a bit cheaper than where you're at in NY and at worst they're the same.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 09-05-2016 at 06:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 10:03 AM

6,127 posts, read 6,445,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Periodic View Post
You're young right? Take advantage. Just travel. I did and it was one of the best decisions of my life. I seriously canít recommend it enough.

I forgot about Pocatello and Idaho Falls, ID. I would also strongly look at them.

I canít really comment on business climates since my profession is immune to that requirement. I do hear good things about all of the states I listed, but I canít confirm. Idaho Falls has the Idaho National Laboratory that is doing some great things with energy research.

Of the places I listed, I would assume Big Sky and Jackson hole to be the most expensive. They are also the most touristy. The biggest change from the east coast climate is way less humidity during the summer.
I love Wyoming, Montana and Idaho, but the touristy parts are expensive (the billionaires have run the millionaires out of Jackson) and jobs can be difficult to find. I would assume Missoula would have more opportunities than Kalispell.

Another thing the OP would need to be okay with is the isolation, especially with so few people in Wyoming. These are large states and your nearest town might be hours away. The lack of humidity is wonderful, though! I'd love to live in any of these states (certain parts of them) someday.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:14 AM

989 posts, read 594,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
I love Wyoming, Montana and Idaho, but the touristy parts are expensive (the billionaires have run the millionaires out of Jackson) and jobs can be difficult to find. I would assume Missoula would have more opportunities than Kalispell.

Another thing the OP would need to be okay with is the isolation, especially with so few people in Wyoming. These are large states and your nearest town might be hours away. The lack of humidity is wonderful, though! I'd love to live in any of these states (certain parts of them) someday.
Completely agree with this, also, if community pride is equally or more important as skiing, the upper midwest might be a better region. Towns have more of the "community feel" to them with old little downtowns, parades, etc. This exists in the west also, but it's not as prevalent.

Flagstaff and Boise did seem like a good options and were the first places that came to mind. If the OP really likes thick grass type environments, there isn't as much of that in the arid west, but if this isn't important, check these two out.

In the upper midwest, there is skiing - sure it's not Rocky Mountain stuff but it's there, and you definitely get snow, full winter, 4 seasons and many towns have community pride. There are areas near the Wisconsin Dells where you can get this feel.

The Most Beautiful, Charming Small Towns In Wisconsin

14 Places to Ski and Snowboard in Wisconsin - The Bobber

In Michigan, most, if not all of the skiing is in the Upper Peninsula, which is gorgeous. But you really have to like snow and winter a lot. If you do, check out Marquette, MI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or