U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 01:37 PM

23 posts, read 42,767 times

Advertisements

I'm in my mid twenties and I am looking for somewhere to move to that has all four seasons. I was born and raised in New York (just south of Albany) and am tired of the high crime rates, ridiculous taxes, poor education and most importantly the morals of the people around here.

I have no idea where to begin my search of where the best area would be to move to. I'm looking for a new beginning that is the opposite of New York. I love to ski and Christmas isn't normal to me without snow. My career is in accounting but am willing to commute to work if necessary. The country style living is more me rather than the loud obnoxious noises from a big city. I would love to find a place that has a prosperous lifestyle for a family with outdoor activities and a sense of community pride.

Any opinions or helpful tips would be great!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2016, 02:12 PM

345 posts, read 335,412 times
the south

Old 09-03-2016, 02:18 PM

2,533 posts, read 1,822,304 times
Lots of places come to mind including the Smokey Mountain states, Southern Minnesota/Wisconsin/Michigan, Arkansas, Missouri

Old 09-03-2016, 04:03 PM

Grampatom - can you tell me why you think those states are an option? I've traveled in the US but mainly on the east coast. I've been to Virginia and the weather in the summer was horrendous .. It was 100 degrees with a heat index of 110 and so humid you could barely breathe outside .. Some research I found said that Colorado and Oregon was an option as well but I don't know much about any of those places .. Thanks again for your help!

Old 09-03-2016, 04:04 PM

7,906 posts, read 4,864,721 times
You likely would enjoy a Cleveland suburb such as Richfield or Chagrin Falls, perhaps Peninsula. You would be within half an hour of small ski slopes (Alpine Valley and Boston Mills Brandywine), and two hours from western NY slopes (Peek 'n Peak and Holiday Valley).

You definitely would have four seasons of weather, and the great area Metroparks, such as Cleveland's "Emerald Necklace," and the Cuyahoga Valley National Park, with which to enjoy the seasons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Metroparks

Kirtland, OH, would be ideal, as home to both the exquisite Holden Arboretum and very good Lake Metroparks such as Chapin Forest and Penitentiary Glen.

Picture Ohio! – Icicles in Stebbins Gulch, Using an iPhone 6 | Ian Adams Photography

canopywalk

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gildersleeve_Mountain

Chapin Forest Reservation | Lake Metroparks

Kirtland also is a short distance from Lake Erie.

http://cityofmentor.com/wp-content/u...s-brochure.pdf

http://parks.ohiodnr.gov/headlandsbeach

The only problem is that with global warming, a white Christmas no longer is common in northern Ohio. Although snows can occur as early as November. More consistent snow cover doesn't occur until after Christmas these days. Winter conditions such as ice are more typical of January and February, and, in recent years, some winters are cold, and some, such as last year, are not.

This thread discusses Cleveland winters.

A Year in the Cleveland Area

Candidly, global warming has reduced the likelihood of a white Christmas in much of the continental U.S.

Mountain communities such as Aspen might be your best bet.

Check individual months in the right margin for cities here:

https://weatherspark.com/averages/29...-United-States

Old 09-03-2016, 04:11 PM

WRnative- thank you !! I will definitely look into Ohio .. An old friend lived there for a year but I don't remember where she was exactly.. Thanks again for your input and helpful links

Old 09-03-2016, 04:19 PM

6,550 posts, read 10,254,632 times
Skiing? Go west. Denver, Colorado Springs, Salt Lake City, Flagstaff, or Boise.

Old 09-03-2016, 06:15 PM

1,228 posts, read 973,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlf123 View Post
I'm in my mid twenties and I am looking for somewhere to move to that has all four seasons. I was born and raised in New York (just south of Albany) and am tired of the high crime rates, ridiculous taxes, poor education and most importantly the morals of the people around here.

I have no idea where to begin my search of where the best area would be to move to. I'm looking for a new beginning that is the opposite of New York. I love to ski and Christmas isn't normal to me without snow. My career is in accounting but am willing to commute to work if necessary. The country style living is more me rather than the loud obnoxious noises from a big city. I would love to find a place that has a prosperous lifestyle for a family with outdoor activities and a sense of community pride.

Any opinions or helpful tips would be great!!
You might like northern New England (NH/Maine). The big cities being Manchester and Portland but they're less than half the size of Albany and there are plenty of small towns around if you wanted to stay away from them.

You'd only be a few hours from Albany if you have family there. You would pretty much get everything you're asking for. NH is one of the freest states in the US and there is no income tax nor sales tax which I like even if property taxes are a bit higher. NH is the only state with no seat belt law to give you an idea of its mindset. Yeah it's dumb to drive without a seat belt but I like that they aren't babying you. Maine is also pretty reasonable and both these states have crime rates that can't get much lower.

The tallest mountains in the northeast are in NH so the skiing is there. The NH lakes and the ocean are close by. Northern Maine is probably the least developed region on the east coast. Plenty of untouched land up there. New England in general takes pride in its communities and New Englanders are pretty logical people so you don't see as many tacky holiday decorations as you do in other regions, at least that's what I've noticed.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 09-03-2016 at 06:46 PM..

Old 09-04-2016, 01:07 AM

6,507 posts, read 7,452,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Skiing? Go west. Denver, Colorado Springs, Salt Lake City, Flagstaff, or Boise.

I was thinking this too. They also want to see snow at Christmas, well that rules out everything south of Mason Dixon line. (someone suggested Smoky mountains) It rarely snows for Christmas in this region. (I live in the Southern Appalachians)The "four seasons" component of the South is quite short on cold and snow. You have a long summer, a warm fall, short cool winter and a warm spring.

Other states to consider for skiing and snow at Christmas....... Vermont and New Hampshire come to mind, as well as Maine. also... Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota. Cold and snowy for sure up there and they do have decent skiing.

Old 09-04-2016, 07:46 AM

2,544 posts, read 1,633,029 times
Northern Nevada. Lake Tahoe is nearby for ski enthusiasts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or