U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 09:48 AM

11,172 posts, read 22,372,703 times

Advertisements

I was surprised how warm it is. I mean even in mid February the average highs are in the low 50's.

I was there and it snowed a lot, but then within a day or two it was 65 and everything melted. I think the thing about Denver is that while it snows, it always seems to warm up a lot, and you don't get the snow sitting around on the ground like out east/north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 10:16 AM

3,451 posts, read 8,153,310 times
From watching NFL games for many years (since the early 1980's), I've long said the weather in Denver is strange. You can have snow there I think anytime between October and April, and you can also have nice, warm days in the winter as well. I perceive the weather in Denver as being like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates. Football commentator John Madden has said in so many words if you want to see many different types of weather, go to Denver.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:57 PM

32,374 posts, read 59,827,196 times
Snow, mountains, smog, skiing, pretty neighborhoods, nice downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVBurn View Post
We think of the Broncos...[snip]..John Elway!
I try not to think about that. [/20-year-old grudge]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
I would have thought for a guy from Cleveland the first thoughts about Denver would be "The Drive", John Elway, "The Fumble", Earnest Byner, and Jeremiah Castille.
Yeah. That either.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:55 PM

4,180 posts, read 13,050,716 times
I think Denver is one of the cleanest cities in the states. The downtown is lively with lots to do. Most of the neighborhoods are livable. I enjoy my visits there and always have a nice time. However, I wouldn't more there because it is in the middle of nowhere to me. I need to be by some water.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:57 PM

48,092 posts, read 45,475,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westyguy View Post
What do people generally think of denver that have never been there??
I think it's better than Atlanta.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:26 PM

2,851 posts, read 5,589,018 times
Before some family moved there:

Denver Broncos, Mile High, Rocky Mountains, Lots of snow cold weather, Mostly white, That's about it.

After:

Boomtown, In plains next to mountains not mountains (can you actually build a city in mountains?), Not as cold as I thought although it can be sometimes, Mostly white and hispanic (not many blacks compared to Georgia), Beautiful scenery, Hip, vibrant intown.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:55 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,228,890 times
I think of a flat, dusty city fronted by tall mountains. I think of a whole lotta sprawl all the way out to Boulder. That's about it, since I know practically nothing about Denver.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:17 PM

4,896 posts, read 7,656,879 times
Before I started reading about Denver here, I didn't know anything about the city. I was led to believe, by someone who lived there briefly, that the weather was wacky. One minute it could be a beautiful summer day, and the next minute a ferocious thunderstorm has blown up out of nowhere.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:36 PM

3,940 posts, read 13,338,550 times
Most people think Denver is a cold, mountainous city that has snow 9 months out of the year.

Infact, Denver is at the foothills, it is relatively warm there, and snow melts quickly with the intense sun and quick warm ups.

Denver has more of a "southwestern" feel than you think.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:50 PM

86,996 posts, read 102,581,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post
Mild temperatures, outdoorsy people, newer looking downtown, generic suburbs, lots of sprawl, mountains, fresh dry air, not many cultures there other than white, black, Latino, American Indian and Asian, moderate job climate, brand new Childrens' Hospital, no public transportation other than buses, decent schools. I may be WAY off, but you asked.
No one else has stepped up to clarify these issues, so I will. Generic suburbs? I don't think so. Not all of them, anyway. To the west, Arvada, Wheat Ridge and Golden were communities in their own right before they became part of the suburbs. Golden was, I believe, the territorial capital of Colorado, and is home to the Colorado School of Mines. Arvada and Wheat Ridge were farming communities. To the NW, Louisville, Lafayette, Superior, Erie and Boulder were all mining communities. Louisville has a statue of a miner in front of City Hall, and does a lot to maintain its mining history, as does Lafayette. Littleton to the south, and Castle Rock all have "histories". The culture statement is true, but really, what more could you want. There is a large international community in Boulder and Denver. There is a light rail system that is growing, regarding public transportation. And the bus service is extensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or