U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 06:45 PM

386 posts, read 1,536,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamseight View Post
pre-visit: Rockies, Broncos, beer, skiing
post-visit: Rockies, Broncos, beer, skiing
Classic!

And so, so, so very true. (Well...maybe minus the Rockies part. It's not a great baseball town at all. Before the World Series, the Rockies couldn't pay people to see their games).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It's certainly not treeless, though trees don't grow naturally around here, exept for Cottonwoods and Willows near the creeks. Much of the city is flat; the western part and the western suburbs are hillier. Boring is in the eye of the beholder.
Well....unless you're from Vegas....yeah it is treeless. lol. It is brown and very treeless.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:11 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,746,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westyguy View Post
and also the drunkest city in america.
Does this explain the riots they have after winning some sort of championship?
That's the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Denver: happy violence over a basketball game.

Other than that, it seems like just another big city. I'm familiar enough with geography to know that it's not nestled among the forests of the Rockies. It supposed to have a nice view from what I could tell, flying out of the airport there.
Unfortunately, after reading about Denver on these forums, it looks less appealing than before. I never really thought about moving there, but after hearing that the winters are mild, and the summers are hotter than I would have thought, there isn't anything weather-wise to draw me there. The one person I've known from there didn't have much good to say about it, either.
I don't mean to be completely negative, I just don't know much about it. I'm sure it has it's good points, like any city. A few million people in the metro can't all be wrong.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:49 PM

86,981 posts, read 102,540,351 times
The humidity is low. And the weather is very changeable, with wide swings all the time. Summer nights are great for watching Rockies games or doing other stuff outside, and for sleeping; nice and cool. Look at City-Data's temperature graph. Cooler than average, yr round, at night. It can be 70 degrees on New Year's Day and 70 degrees on the 4th of July, in the same year. It can also be 0 on NYD and 100 on the 4th, same year. Sunny. That's the weather scoop.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:55 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,710,539 times
About the "isolation" thing-- I'd rather live in an isolated nice city that has everything I need to enjoy life and be happy and that has close proximity to the exotic landscapes of the American West than a mediocre city that happens to be within a four hour drive from other mediocre cities and is surrounded by nothing but farms on all sides.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:18 PM

6,955 posts, read 14,086,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
About the "isolation" thing-- I'd rather live in an isolated nice city that has everything I need to enjoy life and be happy and that has close proximity to the exotic landscapes of the American West than a mediocre city that happens to be within a four hour drive from other mediocre cities and is surrounded by nothing but farms on all sides.
I think you just described every midwest city except Chicago.

LOL. Nah, jk. But I can think of some such as Topeka, KS; OKC; Pierre; Sioux Falls; and several others.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:36 AM

14,330 posts, read 19,536,502 times
I always pictured Denver as a place with beautiful rocky mountains, pickup trucks, and rednecks.

I admit though, I will withhold judgment and keep an open mind until I visit.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:47 AM

phillyhomelessguy, I'm not trying to be snide, but have you been to Denver? There are many old suburban neighborhoods with mature landscaping. When our old neighborhood was built, the city of Louisville gave people coupons for trees (so I am told). It's not a rainforest, no, but it's not treeless in the metro area.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyhomelessguy View Post
This is what cracks me up about Denvernites. You all think East Colfax is soooo bad, and that the rest of the area is soooo nice. Well east colfax is not fad at all. Yeah it has its bums and crackheads. It is not bad. However, there are many other ghetto areas in the city. Visting Denver's sterile and bland downtown is nice and all. There are many areas that are ghetto. Anything west of Broadway has bad areas going in south dever. South West denver has many murders. North denver is very bad. Around the dog food factory and other areas of its sterile mtreeless, bland, and dusty neighborhoods. Comerece city is compeletly ghetto. Once you go on I-70 and keep going on Colorado, that is ghetto. Many of the bland and sterile suburbs are bad. Areas of thorton, Arvada, and of course AURORA is bad. Aurora has murders all the time.

Quit pretending Denver is peaches and Cream. Yeah the downtown is nice. It is a city, like any other city.
I don't know about that, phillyhomelessguy. I'm from Denver living in St. Louis. You wanna see ghetto...lol.

I think Denver has to be one of the most sheltered, isolated towns out there. People there just don't realize what's going on in the world around them. It's got a decent economy, people make good money, it's in beautiful area...it's really idyllic. People dont' really need to look outside of Denver because, for most, all they'll ever really need is right there. The flip side is that people there tend to be really not know much about the world below a mile high.

That said....I kinda like the Denver bubble. If you gave me a choice between faux-cosmopolitan Denver and whacky LA or NY....of course I'd pick Denver. There is definitely something to be said for sheltering your kids in this crazy world. lol.

And let me also say that St. Louis isn't much better. Most people don't even come outside of their SUBURB....let alone state. It's very parochial. But...again....there is something charming about that.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoDude View Post
I don't know about that, phillyhomelessguy. I'm from Denver living in St. Louis. You wanna see ghetto...lol.

I think Denver has to be one of the most sheltered, isolated towns out there. People there just don't realize what's going on in the world around them. It's got a decent economy, people make good money, it's in beautiful area...it's really idyllic. People dont' really need to look outside of Denver because, for most, all they'll ever really need is right there. The flip side is that people there tend to be really not know much about the world below a mile high.

That said....I kinda like the Denver bubble. If you gave me a choice between faux-cosmopolitan Denver and whacky LA or NY....of course I'd pick Denver. There is definitely something to be said for sheltering your kids in this crazy world. lol.

And let me also say that St. Louis isn't much better. Most people don't even come outside of their SUBURB....let alone state. It's very parochial. But...again....there is something charming about that.
I find parochialism big in many places. What you said of St. Louis can be said of Pittsburgh. Here in CO, I find that people have at least been somewhere else, mainly b/c they are all from somewhere else. It is common to go "home" for summer, Christmas, whatever. In some of the eastern and midwestern cities, you meet people who have literally never been more than 50-100 miles from home, unless they have been to Cali or Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or