U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-04-2016, 03:04 PM
 
7,738 posts, read 4,581,276 times
Reputation: 8445

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Maybe Atlanta? Blacks make up nearly 20% of the entire U.S. population so the chance of ever finding or forming a city that's majority black is close to zero. Latinos have a better chance of creating one. We're already seeing it in El Paso and cities in the Deep South by the U.S. / Mexico border.
Atlanta is a historically Black city that is losing it's predominantly black status, not the other way around. Black people are more like 13% of the US population, and that percentage is declining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-04-2016, 03:41 PM
 
Location: USA
2,753 posts, read 2,223,350 times
Reputation: 2135
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Atlanta is a historically Black city that is losing it's predominantly black status, not the other way around. Black people are more like 13% of the US population, and that percentage is declining.
Are you sure about the percentage declining? Do you have a source? I know the percentage of whites is declining. I'm almost 100% sure but as for blacks and Latinos I would assume their gaining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2016, 03:50 PM
 
Location: Floribama
15,046 posts, read 31,432,547 times
Reputation: 13844
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Are you sure about the percentage declining? Do you have a source? I know the percentage of whites is declining. I'm almost 100% sure but as for blacks and Latinos I would assume their gaining.
Blacks are gaining, it just doesn't look like it in the statistics because of the rapid rise in other minority groups. Same with the white population, they are actually increasing slightly as well, it just isn't noticeable since it isn't nearly as much as Hispanics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2016, 04:06 PM
 
7,738 posts, read 4,581,276 times
Reputation: 8445
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Are you sure about the percentage declining? Do you have a source? I know the percentage of whites is declining. I'm almost 100% sure but as for blacks and Latinos I would assume their gaining.
Between 2000-2010, Atlanta dropped from 61% Black, to 53%. In 1990, it was 67% Black.

Atlanta city Georgia QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2016, 04:08 PM
 
7,738 posts, read 4,581,276 times
Reputation: 8445
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Blacks are gaining, it just doesn't look like it in the statistics because of the rapid rise in other minority groups. Same with the white population, they are actually increasing slightly as well, it just isn't noticeable since it isn't nearly as much as Hispanics.
No, just know. The city of Atlanta lost over 30,000 black residents between 2000 and 2010. It's not just that other groups are outpacing black population growth, Atlanta's black population is genuinely in decline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2016, 05:05 PM
 
Location: Floribama
15,046 posts, read 31,432,547 times
Reputation: 13844
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
No, just know. The city of Atlanta lost over 30,000 black residents between 2000 and 2010. It's not just that other groups are outpacing black population growth, Atlanta's black population is genuinely in decline.
I wasn't talking about Atlanta, I was talking about nationwide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2016, 05:05 PM
 
56,708 posts, read 81,038,544 times
Reputation: 12548
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Atlanta is a historically Black city that is losing it's predominantly black status, not the other way around. Black people are more like 13% of the US population, and that percentage is declining.
Actually, the Black percentage is increasing and we count the Black population the way Black people do, it is actually 14%: BlackDemographics.com | The African American Population
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2016, 08:22 PM
 
9,948 posts, read 6,894,117 times
Reputation: 4221
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Maybe Atlanta? Blacks make up nearly 20% of the entire U.S. population so the chance of ever finding or forming a city that's majority black is close to zero. Latinos have a better chance of creating one. We're already seeing it in El Paso and cities in the Deep South by the U.S. / Mexico border.

And to respond to your opening post about racism not being as bad as it used to be...I disagree. I think America now is more racist than it's ever been. That's what happens when you become the melting pot of the world. Back in the 50's and 60's it was openly acceptable to be racist in parts of the U.S. Now it's socially unacceptable and you get called out on it so people keep it to themselves. Just because someone doesn't say anything racist doesn't mean they're not because you can still have internal racist tendencies. There's a reason you can find more racist comments online than in person because it's not face to face. It's gotten worse since we have a black president IMO.
Yes....I agree that it has gotten worse sent there has been a black president. Every action creates a reaction. That said, I things are way better than when I was a youth....or it seems that way. This is a much more populated country than it was in the 70's and there still might be the same absolute number of racist people, but as a percentage of the population, I think they are smaller. You have whites who do not care for blacks then you have the whites who don't have a problem with being around blacks or even seek to be around blacks. This is a double edge sword kind of because the latter whites do not offset the behavior of the former and being around whites that are cool with blacks may give the false impression that racism is a thing of the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2016, 06:17 PM
 
Location: Thunder Bay, ON
2,610 posts, read 3,764,950 times
Reputation: 1616
Probably not a whole lot of cities will become newly majority black. Not so much because of reverse white flight, but because growth of the Latino population and to a lesser extent Asians is outpacing the population growth of blacks. The cities that have big increases in blacks as a percentage of the total population are often cities that have relatively little Latinos or Asians moving into them like Buffalo or Cincinnati. I'm not too surprised Mobile became majority black in 2010, Latinos and Asians don't have much a foothold there, and the city limits are expansive enough that they take in areas experiencing "white flight" that would be considered inner ring suburbs in other metro areas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2016, 09:26 PM
 
56,708 posts, read 81,038,544 times
Reputation: 12548
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Probably not a whole lot of cities will become newly majority black. Not so much because of reverse white flight, but because growth of the Latino population and to a lesser extent Asians is outpacing the population growth of blacks. The cities that have big increases in blacks as a percentage of the total population are often cities that have relatively little Latinos or Asians moving into them like Buffalo or Cincinnati. I'm not too surprised Mobile became majority black in 2010, Latinos and Asians don't have much a foothold there, and the city limits are expansive enough that they take in areas experiencing "white flight" that would be considered inner ring suburbs in other metro areas
While the Latino percentage isn't huge, Buffalo is a respectable 10% Latino/Hispanic and it is probably steadily growing. It is also getting refugees from parts of Asia and Africa on its West Side, which the same side where the Hispanic/Latino population is concentrated(old Italian area with a presence still there and some "revitalization" as well). So, Buffalo may be up in the air in regards to this topic.

As a "Did You Know", Buffalo has the country's longest running urban FM radio station(WBLK 93.7 since 1964) and has the highest percentage of Black owned companies with paid employees in the country(11% of Black owned companies).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top