U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 07:16 AM

1,798 posts, read 1,160,832 times

Advertisements

Cincinnati is close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 08:47 AM

47,988 posts, read 45,443,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonWhite View Post
[/b]

I can't think of anything overwhelmingly positive about having a "majority BLACK city"...all you have to do is look presently at several cities that are already "mostly Black" such as Birmingham AL, Memphis TN, Montgomery AL, Detroit MI. I can't see any advantage really. I know I would never live in that kind of city like that from a cultural perspective - much too insular, and possibly much too subcultural in many aspects of daily life. Homogeneous communities generate a strange "group-think" - politically and even religiously.
You can find that in majority White areas, especially in West Virginia and Kentucky.

And those cities, Detroit, Memphis, and Birmingham, all have one thing in common. Alot of the best and brightest in the Black population have left those cities and gone elsewhere. If Detroit's Black population was mainly middle class and upper class, would it be in bad shape?

Old 09-07-2016, 09:05 AM

56,533 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Cincinnati is close.
I think it has a good chance, as does Dayton. So, perhaps SW Ohio will have a couple of cities that may answer this question in the near future.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:43 AM

432 posts, read 356,093 times
Seems like Little Rock could.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:21 AM

47,988 posts, read 45,443,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think it has a good chance, as does Dayton. So, perhaps SW Ohio will have a couple of cities that may answer this question in the near future.
SW Ohio is a sleeper region in terms of music by Black bands. The Isley Brothers, Zapp and Roger, The Ohio Players, Lakeside, Slave, Otis Williams and The Charms.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:26 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 41,929,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I disagree. Asian immigrants are driven by better educational opportunities and tend to work themselves into better neighborhoods (i.e. the suburbs) and with immigration numbers down that population will fall (and probably has since 2010). Also Philly has largely priced itself out of the NYC/Brooklyn Millennials exodus and is no longer the "bargain" it was 7-10 years ago. Factor in also that the vast majority of skilled, living wage jobs are located in the PA/NJ suburbs, there's not likely to be any growth of White/Non-Hispanic residents.
Regardless, the Asian population grew faster in absolute numbers than the black population in Philadelphia:

Philadelphia County Pennsylvania QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 09-07-2016, 10:31 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 41,929,314 times
How about majority black counties? Prince Georges County does well by many indicators, and is more affluent than most southern white counties:

Prince George's County Maryland QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Sure it's homogeneous, but so are white suburban counties

Last edited by JMT; 09-07-2016 at 02:27 PM..

Old 09-07-2016, 10:40 AM

12,414 posts, read 11,913,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
How about majority black counties? Prince Georges County does well by many indicators, and is more affluent than most southern white counties:

Prince George's County Maryland QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Sure it's homogeneous, but so are white suburban counties
Prince George's actually isn't that homogeneous. It's majority black, but has white and Latino areas.

The county does have a relatively high crime rate considering its income level. That said, from what I've seen the high crime is almost all concentrated in the black neighborhoods inside the beltway, which are mostly lower income. Some of the upper-middle class black neighborhoods have virtually no crime.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:50 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,792,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Reverse-white flight says no. We may, however, see more predominantly Latino cities.
We are likely to see more minority majority cities and states with very few having any specific minority being the majority of entire cities, metros or states. Multiculturalism is the face of the future.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:51 AM

12,414 posts, read 11,913,851 times
In terms of majority-black suburban counties, there will be a few more soon. In the Atlanta area, Rockdale for sure, and possibly Newton and Douglas. I don't think Fulton will ever turn majority black though - Atlanta's black population is falling, and not too many black people are moving to the Fulton County suburbs north of Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or