U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What is your favorite U.S. river city?
Cincinnati 9 5.08%
Pittsburgh 22 12.43%
NYC 15 8.47%
Minneapolis 6 3.39%
Detroit 3 1.69%
St. Louis 21 11.86%
Kansas City, MO 1 0.56%
Philadephia 3 1.69%
Washington, D.C. 4 2.26%
Boston 6 3.39%
Wilminton, DE 0 0%
Providence, RI 0 0%
Richmond, VA 1 0.56%
Memphis, TN 6 3.39%
Nashville, TN 1 0.56%
Chattanooga, TN 1 0.56%
Knoxville, TN 2 1.13%
Wilmington, NC 1 0.56%
Charleston, SC 3 1.69%
Savannah, GA 5 2.82%
New Orleans, LA 11 6.21%
Jacksonville, FL 2 1.13%
Portland, OR 11 6.21%
Sacramento, CA 4 2.26%
San Antonio, TX 11 6.21%
Omaha, NE 11 6.21%
other (specify in your post) 17 9.60%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-26-2008, 09:24 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
117 posts, read 373,528 times
Reputation: 61

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
u forgot new york city. the east river meeting with the hudson river into the atlantic. nyc is the best river city in the world. pittsburgh is another amazing river city, probably followed by seattle (isn't puget sound a cross between a river and a bay of some type?)
Neither the East River or the Hudson River are true rivers. They are utimately extensions of the Atlantic Ocean via New York Harbor. The only true river in NYC is the Bronx river.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-26-2008, 09:31 PM
 
Location: Chicago
3,340 posts, read 8,715,577 times
Reputation: 1216
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post
How could Omaha possibly be a "brother" to st. louis? My cousins from would be like...omg get away. Omaha??? Is that the new comeback city now? Isn't that where our beef comes from? .... just joking... Omaha = 820,000 people, St. louis = 2,900,000 people. Please don't tell me you're going to start comparing those two cities now. i met someone in chicago from omaha, and my friend was like, so how do you like living in the big city?? and she said..what do you mean im from omaha, its not that different. and my friend was confused...he said, it isn't? then she replied...yeah its bigger than st. louis and minneapolis....riiiiiight. (i guess she was going by "city" populations, and if so she was correct -Indy residents tend to do the same thing which annoys the heck out of me)...please dont tell me your ignorant enough to go by "city" stats....

Honestly if people in cities like Indy or Omaha or Tulsa or OKC or Louisville would just be like....it's a smaller city, and for its size offers X which is really great. Come check out the ___. THEN, people would be like, oh my god! let me check that out. Instead, they annoyingly put themselves in with cities MUCH further developed in history and cutlure and most of the time size and say "my city is on the same page as your city". That's why all these arguments break out. That's also why San Antonio folks always fight with Houston and Dallas folks, because they try to be ont he same tier (Because their city gains population by annexing land so their residents think theyre living big city life and beef up their city based on foundationless facts)

I wouldn't say Indianapolis is a nice city, I would say its an "OK" city. See the Indianapolis forum, even Indy residents agree with this. I wouldn't say it offers "nothing to the world", but I get what he's saying with that comment.

THe only midwestern cities I would give two looks at, or tell foreign visitors who visit Chicago all the time looking for other midwestern cities worth visiting are:

Minneapolis, St. Louis, Detroit...maybe KC, Cleveland..then Cincinatti, Milwaukee period. Why those three? Because 1.) their size 2.) their cultural offerings, history and things to see and 3.) they're developed enough to have light rail and decent public transportation. Yes, Detroit still has many cultural offerings to visitors and isn't as bad as people make it out to be.
Sorry about the little explosion it just happens whenever I feel insulted in some way and and most Chicagans who have posted before have really annoyed me with the way they act superior to everyone else. estimates for our 2028 metro are at 2 million though sooo ya we are a thriving city right now. Our job market is great and our economy is constantly expanding right now. Besides, our tallest building is taller than everything in St. Louis. Ok Omaha is a great city to visit 1) why is size a factor anyway but here goes. We have booming western suburbs that have caused many new malls to be built. 3 within the last decade. 2) We have one of the best zoos in the country, we have a huge music scene, we have the old market in downtown, the Qwest center attracts most major concerts, and we are developing the Lewis and Clark landing site 3) why is public transportation a factor anyway? Well omaha has a few buses but thats about it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2008, 09:35 PM
 
Location: Chicago
3,340 posts, read 8,715,577 times
Reputation: 1216
I wonder whats the largest city in the united states that's not on a river or is on the ocean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2008, 09:46 PM
 
Location: yeah
5,716 posts, read 14,591,270 times
Reputation: 2834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
I wonder whats the largest city in the united states that's not on a river or is on the ocean
Dallas, I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2008, 09:46 PM
 
Location: USA
2,779 posts, read 6,701,746 times
Reputation: 1869
my hometown and favorite city-shreveport!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2008, 09:50 PM
 
Location: St. Louis, MO
3,742 posts, read 6,922,370 times
Reputation: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post
THANKYOU. My points in a nutshell. Did ANYONE see the cool pictures I posted on st. louis??? They're remarkable!!! A completely urban city with a southern flair is all i stated.

What is Your Favorite U.S. River City?

Why afj is blowing up is beyond me...i posted it as a compliment to st. louis. Why are people labeling us chicago *******s? Why are you picking fights with people trying to point out how cool your city is???

Westcodude, you're a DUDE! Thanks for being chill.
Chitownwarrior, just stop trying to make me conform to you. You are trying to make St. Louis impossible to classify with the Midwest or the South, and that is total bull. Just because a city has a few Southern characteristics does not mean therefore it's impossible to classify or therefore it cannot be a Midwestern city. How this city is even remotely half-Southern is beyond me. I don't have a problem with people saying it is "a little" Southern. What I have a problem with is people saying that it cannot be classified as Midwestern because it has a few Southern characteristics, which is like chicken soup with a little salt in it. and you therefore conclude that oh ajf131 must want to be Midwestern, he's anti-Southern, he's b****ing and moaning. Well, you're wrong. The truth of the matter is that St. Louis, like Kansas City and Cincinnati, is a Midwestern city with a few Southern characteristics. And you are not in the South once you are below these cities. You have to go at least 100 miles south of these cities before you are in the true South. If you can't accept that, fine, I'm talking to a solid wall that believes so firmly that his opinions override the facts that he is willing to turn any entire forum against somebody just to get them to bend to his will. I'm not gonna do it pal. You're gonna need a million people before I decide to bend the truth so it suits your arguments. 50% Southern...that is a wild tale if I ever heard one. I'm not gonna give facts I've already laid out ten thousand times before to get Chitown to open his eyes, but if I have to do it one more time, so be it. You would have to not have a brain to think St. Louis cannot be classified as Midwestern. It's that obvious. Since I actually have a life, I'll leave you forumers who lean towards chitown's misguided view of St. Louis to waste your brainpower trying to get your opinions to override concrete facts. I acknowledge St. Louis' few Southern characteristics...what I do not acknowledge is it's not being an overall Midwestern city, which it IS!!!!

Last edited by ajf131; 02-26-2008 at 10:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2008, 09:52 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,500 times
Reputation: 10
my vote is absolutely for Louisville. Beautiful town, stunning river, and top-notch riverside parks. any town could take pointers from this city on how to utilize the river banks. it's something to truly feel like the downtown is safe and clean stemming off such a majestic river view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2008, 10:00 PM
 
Location: Chicago
395 posts, read 1,223,552 times
Reputation: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Chitownwarrior is full of sh**. You are trying to make St. Louis impossible to classify with the Midwest or the South, and that is total bull. Just because a city has a few Southern characteristics does not mean therefore it's impossible to classify. How this city is even remotely half-Southern is beyond me. I don't have a problem with people saying it is "a little" Southern. What I have a problem with is people saying that it cannot be classified as Midwestern, and you therefore conclude that oh ajf131 must want to be Midwestern, he's anti-Southern, he's b****ing and moaning. Well, you're wrong. The truth of the matter is that St. Louis, like Kansas City and Cincinnati, is a Midwestern city with a few Southern characteristics. And you are not in the South once you are below these cities. You have to go at least 100 miles south of these cities before you are in the real South. If you can't accept that, fine, I'm talking to a solid wall that believes so firmly that his opinions override the facts that he is willing to turn any entire forum against somebody just to get them to bend to him. I'm not gonna do it pal. You're gonna need a thousand people before I decide to bend the truth so it suits your arguments. 50% Southern...that is a wild tale if I ever heard one. I would've noticed by now if it were 50% Southern.

OH. MY. GOD.

(so i take it you didnt see the pics -- cause you see, the whole point of my post before was to show how beautiful st. louis was, not some crazy conspiracy to make st. louis a southern city....!!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2008, 10:04 PM
 
Location: Chicago
395 posts, read 1,223,552 times
Reputation: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Sorry about the little explosion it just happens whenever I feel insulted in some way and and most Chicagans who have posted before have really annoyed me with the way they act superior to everyone else. estimates for our 2028 metro are at 2 million though sooo ya we are a thriving city right now. Our job market is great and our economy is constantly expanding right now. Besides, our tallest building is taller than everything in St. Louis. Ok Omaha is a great city to visit 1) why is size a factor anyway but here goes. We have booming western suburbs that have caused many new malls to be built. 3 within the last decade. 2) We have one of the best zoos in the country, we have a huge music scene, we have the old market in downtown, the Qwest center attracts most major concerts, and we are developing the Lewis and Clark landing site 3) why is public transportation a factor anyway? Well omaha has a few buses but thats about it
Cool, I'm going to have to check omaha out . 311 is from there so it's gotta pretty dope. What's the lewis and clark landing site going to be like...and whats the old market like???

No worries on the "explosion". I didn' t take it as an explosion at all, and understand where your frustrations are coming from. (there's someone else who's heart health i worry about though ) Chicagoans I must admit are a bit of elitists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2008, 10:10 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
117 posts, read 373,528 times
Reputation: 61
Default Thanks from STL to Chitown

Geez, maybe we should cool our jets a little.

Saint Louis is my hometown and I LOVE it. Passionately. It is without a doubt my favorite river city. But that doesn't mean there aren't a lot of wonderful river cities all across the country. The pictures for San Antonio alone prove that. (And San Antonio seems to have embraced it's river in a way a lot of larger cities might envy).

As a native St.Louisan now living in NYC (the Bronx) I want to thank Chitownwarrior for posting those gorgeous photos of my hometown. I especially appreciate that you selected photos of various STL neighborhoods and locales. Some of them are views I'd never seen before. As stunning as the Gateway Arch is, I'm grateful you showed that there's true depth and heart to St. Louis as an urban center. Thank you.

Please forgive the touchiness some of us St.Louisans feel around Chicagoans. It's a flinch response. Last year I was at large arts function in Boston and struck up a conversation with a guy who mentioned he was from Chicago. I was excited to meet a fellow urban midwesterner. I told him I was from St. Louis hoping to stir up a little midwestern warmth amid the beautiful but sometimes chilly streets of Boston.

He slapped me down good. And in front of several people.

"St. Louis?" he said with more than a little disdain...and it went downhill from there. My gut reaction was that he - for some bizarre reason - felt a little intimidated by the Boston crowd and felt a need to distance himself from the "taint" of the midwest by insulting my city and me. Like in elementary school - trying to get in with the cool kids by slapping down someone he perceived as even more "uncool" than himself.

All of which was in his head.

That said, its disappointing that we'd do the same thing on this thread. Putting down Oklahoma, Nebraska, etc. Never been there, but they look lovely. I know - "good natured ribbing" and all that. Be proud of your city folks, but don't start insulting everyone else's.

My vote for sleeper river city: Providence. Lovely small city that has embraced its river beautifully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top