U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite U.S. river city?
Cincinnati 9 5.08%
Pittsburgh 22 12.43%
NYC 15 8.47%
Minneapolis 6 3.39%
Detroit 3 1.69%
St. Louis 21 11.86%
Kansas City, MO 1 0.56%
Philadephia 3 1.69%
Washington, D.C. 4 2.26%
Boston 6 3.39%
Wilminton, DE 0 0%
Providence, RI 0 0%
Richmond, VA 1 0.56%
Memphis, TN 6 3.39%
Nashville, TN 1 0.56%
Chattanooga, TN 1 0.56%
Knoxville, TN 2 1.13%
Wilmington, NC 1 0.56%
Charleston, SC 3 1.69%
Savannah, GA 5 2.82%
New Orleans, LA 11 6.21%
Jacksonville, FL 2 1.13%
Portland, OR 11 6.21%
Sacramento, CA 4 2.26%
San Antonio, TX 11 6.21%
Omaha, NE 11 6.21%
other (specify in your post) 17 9.60%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 11:46 PM

395 posts, read 1,222,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by torchwoodchi View Post
Regardless of whether St. Louis is southern, it's a great town rich with American culture, music, food and history. I'll certainly keep returning, although chiwarrior said I should be banned.
Dude, i never said YOU should be banned...i was talking about AFJ! I was so confused by your last post...I was like "i never said you should be banned? ()" I was talking to YOU about afj.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Omaha has about 400,000 people in the city, about 800,000 metro. I don't know anything about Nashville.
Katiana, i'm not saying at all omaha is a bad place, but in reference to a lot of other cities mentioned, that is relatively small.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:03 AM

93 posts, read 63,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post
Dude, i never said YOU should be banned...i was talking about AFJ! I was so confused by your last post...I was like "i never said you should be banned? ()" I was talking to YOU about afj.
Sorry, I misunderstood.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:16 PM

11,883 posts, read 32,924,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
O.K. I would include Omaha, but I was being carefull not to include smaller towns else the list would be far too long. Is Omaha really that big? Also, I didn't include Nashville because I don't know what river that it's on. Is it a major river?
Nashville is on the Cumberland River. But I wouldn't include it in the list of the country's great river cities, either. Again, just because there happens to be a river running through a city doesn't make it a river city in the classic sense. That's why I wouldn't consider Omaha to be a river city, either, nor Knoxville even though the Tennessee River starts right here. I mean geez, most cities in the country are on a river of some sort, and for most it was merely for convenience. Only a select few seem to embrace their river heritage. And no, building a park on the riverbanks doesn't magically transform a city into a "river city," either.

So some of you people can throw a temper tantrum all you want, but that doesn't make your cities into river cities in the classic sense. Otherwise, by merely having a few parks along your city's river and even some trendy condos, just about every city in America that's located on a river can be labelled a "river city."

Old 02-28-2008, 12:22 PM

87,011 posts, read 102,621,396 times
Quote:
Katiana, i'm not saying at all omaha is a bad place, but in reference to a lot of other cities mentioned, that is relatively small.
I know; someone asked for its size. I think it is slightly smaller than Kansas City, also on the MO.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:26 PM

7,731 posts, read 12,194,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
The U.S. is blessed to have so many cities with rivers. Which U.S. river city do you like the most? What river cities would you rank in 2nd and 3rd place?
Washington D.C.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:29 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,706,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Nashville is on the Cumberland River. But I wouldn't include it in the list of the country's great river cities, either. Again, just because there happens to be a river running through a city doesn't make it a river city in the classic sense. That's why I wouldn't consider Omaha to be a river city, either, nor Knoxville even though the Tennessee River starts right here. I mean geez, most cities in the country are on a river of some sort, and for most it was merely for convenience. Only a select few seem to embrace their river heritage. And no, building a park on the riverbanks doesn't magically transform a city into a "river city," either.

So some of you people can throw a temper tantrum all you want, but that doesn't make your cities into river cities in the classic sense. Otherwise, by merely having a few parks along your city's river and even some trendy condos, just about every city in America that's located on a river can be labelled a "river city."
Fine i'll list more things we are doing with our river or have already done

1) We are building our baseball stadium, which will host the CWS, by the river

2) our botanical gardens are on the river

3) to me buildings have faces I know that sounds weird but most of our buildings "faces" are towards the river

4) our convention center is by the river

5) Gallup's headquarters is on the river

6) We are building a landmark pedestrian bridge on the missouri river

Picture found on: http://www.offenburger.com/images/Om...dPedBridge.jpg

7) We are still constantly developing our riverfront

Old 02-28-2008, 04:08 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,706,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
1) We are building our baseball stadium, which will host the CWS, by the river
http://www.ballparkwatch.com/images/new_omaha.jpg (broken link)
An artists impression of the stadium
Picture found on: http://www.ballparkwatch.com/images/new_omaha.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-01-2008, 10:19 AM

OMaha seems to be a nice little city for its size.

Old 03-01-2008, 01:51 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,907,044 times
Quote:
HAHAHA. he makes st. louis look so bad and is making a fool of himself. the people of st. louis should ban him from the city. he needs to learn how to interact with people and get a freaking sense of humer. maybe getting a good _____ will cure him .

afj are you a member of urbanstl? after reading some posts there, i doubt they would accept you into their community with your thoughts and strange bizzarro ways, as they seem to all be extreme urban enthusiasts...
Oh wow...i make St. Louis look so bad by saying its Midwestern... I guess you must be ashamed of being from Chicago for that very reason. I have acknowledged that St. Louis has a few Southern characteristics, but it is still an overall Midwestern city. How that makes the city look bad I have no friggin' clue. Excuse me for making a fool out of myself by telling the truth. And yes I am a member of urbanstl for your information, was invited by several people to join and I'm perfectly well accepted there. Nice try though. Maybe you oughta stick to representing your own city instead of trying to speak for others I'd say that you are a bad rep. for the Midwest in general because you can't stand the idea of St. Louis being a Midwestern city...well it is...its demographics, most of its history, culture, dialect, trees, industry, architecture, and weather pretty much give all the evidence necessary, so get over it, grow up, take a shower, shine your shoes, and go back to your little cubicle and do your paperwork like a good second-fiddle employee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.