U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What is your favorite U.S. river city?
Cincinnati 9 5.08%
Pittsburgh 22 12.43%
NYC 15 8.47%
Minneapolis 6 3.39%
Detroit 3 1.69%
St. Louis 21 11.86%
Kansas City, MO 1 0.56%
Philadephia 3 1.69%
Washington, D.C. 4 2.26%
Boston 6 3.39%
Wilminton, DE 0 0%
Providence, RI 0 0%
Richmond, VA 1 0.56%
Memphis, TN 6 3.39%
Nashville, TN 1 0.56%
Chattanooga, TN 1 0.56%
Knoxville, TN 2 1.13%
Wilmington, NC 1 0.56%
Charleston, SC 3 1.69%
Savannah, GA 5 2.82%
New Orleans, LA 11 6.21%
Jacksonville, FL 2 1.13%
Portland, OR 11 6.21%
Sacramento, CA 4 2.26%
San Antonio, TX 11 6.21%
Omaha, NE 11 6.21%
other (specify in your post) 17 9.60%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-24-2008, 11:24 AM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 22 days ago)
 
Location: New Albany, Indiana (Greater Louisville)
9,829 posts, read 21,130,434 times
Reputation: 9413

Advertisements

San Antonio is my favorite CREEK city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-24-2008, 12:14 PM
 
Location: Chicago
395 posts, read 1,220,974 times
Reputation: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by torchwoodchi View Post
Mayor Daley's new pet project is the Chicago river walk, which is coming to fruition(yet another crown jewel in Chicago's cap). Which will claim the river front as Chicago's new waterfront front yard. Which will again solidify Chicago as the best designed city in America. Chicago is so ahead of the rest of the country, dating back to the 19th century, when it comes to urban planning it's not even a contest!
SO TRUEEEEE!!!!!! We have so much here, that's why i don't spend time "defending" chicago cause its not even worth it. I just defend smaller cities i really like. I really feel we are so far ahead...just wait till the spire, trump tower, and south loop all get developed..AND we get the summer olympics. we'll have to have a forum for ouselves and start comparing the neighborhoods we live in

I for one have chose to defend st. louis on this forum. So in this thread I will say St. Louis wins this river city escapade, and new orleands. There's no other river I think of when river comes to my mind other than the mississippi. The MIGHTY mississippi, and when i think of the mississippi i think of St. Louis, Memphis, and New Orleans, cities of the Big Muddy (minneapolis is too far north) and muddy water blues. With that said, the where the two largest rivers converge (missouri and misssissppi) ill rest my plea in st. louis. Half southern, half midwestern/northern the gateway to the west wins the river city battle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2008, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Portland, Maine
4,180 posts, read 13,046,465 times
Reputation: 1609
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post
SO TRUEEEEE!!!!!! We have so much here, that's why i don't spend time "defending" chicago cause its not even worth it. I just defend smaller cities i really like. I really feel we are so far ahead...just wait till the spire, trump tower, and south loop all get developed..AND we get the summer olympics. we'll have to have a forum for ouselves and start comparing the neighborhoods we live in

I for one have chose to defend st. louis on this forum. So in this thread I will say St. Louis wins this river city escapade, and new orleands. There's no other river I think of when river comes to my mind other than the mississippi. The MIGHTY mississippi, and when i think of the mississippi i think of St. Louis, Memphis, and New Orleans, cities of the Big Muddy (minneapolis is too far north) and muddy water blues. With that said, the where the two largest rivers converge (missouri and misssissppi) ill rest my plea in st. louis. Half southern, half midwestern/northern the gateway to the west wins the river city battle.
Rather narrow point of view. The Ohio, the Missouri and many others are definitely major river routes. That being said, I am sticking with New Orleans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2008, 12:41 PM
 
6,351 posts, read 19,341,703 times
Reputation: 9919
If I could only choose one; Sacramento. But Louisville, Savannah, Annapolis, MD and San Antonio all have a special place in my heart...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2008, 01:56 PM
 
Location: Omaha
189 posts, read 159,373 times
Reputation: 32
Chattanooga did not 'turn its back' on the river, in fact theres a 2nd smaller downtown on the 'North Shore of the TN River.
But not on the list is Paducah. Home to many barge companies and totally dependant on the river for commerce. That town 'turned their back' on the river but had no choice, to build floodwalls.
Omaha where I live now- well our chamber commerce has already spoken on the forum. The Missouri River has been 'tamed' in recent years and is not used as much now for commerce/barge traffic, used more for recreation. The riverfront factories and docks are being replaced with parks, condos, and greenspaces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2008, 02:25 PM
 
Location: Chicago
395 posts, read 1,220,974 times
Reputation: 192
I posted this in another thread and thought I'd share the beauty of stl with people, that many people aren't aware of. A medium large midwestern city with southern flair and deep rich auro of history, culture, and urban living.

Here's the skyline everyone knows:



So what's behind this "skyline" everyone associates st. louis with:


thats a stretch of at least 4-5 miles and thats not even including clayton below:






midtown

forest park bordering central west end


and heres some photos for a little urban perspective:









university city - washington university, fontbonne university, place where chuck berry still plays, birth of nelly, muphy lee, etc. listed top 10 must see streets in america by ANA, 2nd in midwest after michigan avenue










Forest Park, home of 1904 worlds' fair, introduction of mustard, ice cream cones, iced tea, etc and summer olympics:





1904:



typical urban neighborhood park:



washington avenue:






urban living:













































And not too far from St. Louis within a 1.5 hr drive, this natural beauty from the ozarks:














St. Louis is a remarkable urban gem and on my top 10 US cities list. It's a must see and I highly recommend a visit in the summer!!! that's why it's my favorite river city.

Photos thanks to urban-photos.com and urbanstl.com!

Last edited by chitownwarrior; 02-24-2008 at 02:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2008, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Rio Grande Valley/Tone City
362 posts, read 941,104 times
Reputation: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by torchwoodchi View Post
Maybe not. However, at least with the Chicago river, you'd have to know how to swim if you fell in. As oppose to just standing up!


Some parts are shalow at 4 feet and other parts over 10 feet in the downtown area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2008, 03:04 PM
 
Location: Chicago
395 posts, read 1,220,974 times
Reputation: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Rather narrow point of view. The Ohio, the Missouri and many others are definitely major river routes. That being said, I am sticking with New Orleans.
great, im sure they are major river routes, but the two longest rivers are the missouri and mississippi. its not a narrow point of view, its just an opinion. plus, see my pictures to explain why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2008, 03:34 PM
 
11,870 posts, read 32,895,741 times
Reputation: 8615
Quote:
Originally Posted by downthathighway View Post
Chattanooga did not 'turn its back' on the river, in fact theres a 2nd smaller downtown on the 'North Shore of the TN River.
But not on the list is Paducah. Home to many barge companies and totally dependant on the river for commerce. That town 'turned their back' on the river but had no choice, to build floodwalls.
Omaha where I live now- well our chamber commerce has already spoken on the forum. The Missouri River has been 'tamed' in recent years and is not used as much now for commerce/barge traffic, used more for recreation. The riverfront factories and docks are being replaced with parks, condos, and greenspaces.
I don't recall seeing anyone in here say that Chattanooga has turned its back on the river. I posted something saying that Knoxville has, but not Chattanooga. I think Chattanooga is a wonderful river city that has embraced its river heritage. Knoxville, sadly, pretty much ignores the river.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2008, 05:18 PM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 22 days ago)
 
Location: New Albany, Indiana (Greater Louisville)
9,829 posts, read 21,130,434 times
Reputation: 9413
Thanks, Chi, that's a cool website

Of course I must post some Louisville pics from it





Source of photos: Louisville Kentucky: Urban Photos: Black and White City Stock, Skyline, and Aerial Photography
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top