U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city best meets the criteria LISTED BELOW developed by a black, male lawyer, age 30, looking f
Phoenix 0 0%
San Jose 1 3.13%
Fort Lauderdale 1 3.13%
Washington, D.C. 9 28.13%
Honolulu 0 0%
Charlotte, NC 3 9.38%
San Diego 0 0%
Omaha 0 0%
Seattle 1 3.13%
Houston 5 15.63%
Berkeley, CA 0 0%
Portland 0 0%
San Francisco 1 3.13%
Cayman Islands 2 6.25%
Landra Heights, CA 1 3.13%
Vancouver 1 3.13%
Chicago 5 15.63%
West Palm Beach, FL 2 6.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 08:25 AM

697 posts, read 2,026,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
I would like to know who is voting for DC? DC is undoubtedly one of the most hectic cities in the country, is certainly not warm and sunny all year round, has never been noted for being polite (especially on the road), and is an older city with a lot of old architecture (which I love, but is not the the OP's request).

CMDallas: Concerning San Diego: SD is still rather conservative and historically goes for the Republican each presidential election. Although, you are right that Houston might be a good fit as California has a small black population (only 3% I believe, in San Jose).
I think people looked at the thread topic "Single, Black Lawyer" without looking at all the criteria in the post.

If you go by "Single, Black Male Lawyer" alone, people often think of D.C. fast, and it is an option on the poll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 04:20 PM

5,655 posts, read 8,679,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onliner1 View Post
In order of importance, with the most important factor listed first and the least last, which city best meets the following factors:

1. People move slowly, have time in their lives, and have time for family.
2. The people in the city or town embrace blacks and are friendly and kind.
3. The city or town has excellent shopping – both high end shopping (i.e., great shopping malls) and affordable shopping (i.e., Wallmart)

4. The city has predominately Democratic and not Republican political values; and, if the city was within a Democratic primary, the citizens voted for Senator Obama over Senator Clinton.
5. The people are warm to each, not overly materialistic, not high strung or frenetic, and not neurotically ambitious.
6. Warm, sunny weather year-round or close to year-round

7. The city has its own identity – it’s a relevant city with a meaningful economy that is connected to the world.
8. It’s multicultural (or even better, international) – and the multiculturalism has energy (not passivity) to it – in other words, minorities are a definite part of the power structure in local government and local corporations. Minorities have a strong voice.
9. The job market is appealing and, more importantly, has an entrepreneurial and business start-up spirit to it.

10. It is a modern city with modern spaces.
11. It’s good for allergies and not a pollen-ridden city or clouded in air pollution.
12. It has a sensible black culture.

* Please note, Atlanta is not an option in the poll.
Ok, I'll be the first one to vote for the Cayman Islands. It seems to meet most of your criteria. I lived in the British West Indies (Antigua) and loved it. I hope to move back someday. I've only visited the Cayman Islands but if I could live there, I'd do it in a NY minute.

The island is safe and the people are laid-back, kind, and family-oriented. People do move more slowly there - they're on "island time." The island is sunny, multi-cultural with great shopping and recreational activities. There are lots of opportunities in international finance and law and you can live TAX-FREE. It's a great place to make and save money. Plus the Caribbean economies are stabilizing with new businesses in tourism, construction, geothermal energy, etc.

I don't know what you mean by "sensible black culture" but I have met many sucessful, well-educated British, American, and Caribbean black men that have worked in the Cayman Islands.

Best of Luck!

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 02-22-2008 at 05:21 PM..

Old 02-22-2008, 07:32 PM

41 posts, read 89,197 times
Thanks to all who participated in the poll and generously provided insightful comments on the cities or suggested new alternates. I am naturally looking further into many of the options presented - thanks -

P.S. -

San Jose
San Diego
San Francisco
Berkeley
Seattle (but a bit cool)
Fort Lauderdale and West Palm

Finalists

Old 02-22-2008, 11:52 PM

6,992 posts, read 14,123,251 times
I think people didn't vote for Ladera Heights because they don't know what or where it is. You should keep it on your list.

Take out San Jose.

Take out West Palm Beach.

Add D.C.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:55 PM

1,528 posts, read 5,719,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
I would like to know who is voting for DC? DC is undoubtedly one of the most hectic cities in the country, is certainly not warm and sunny all year round, has never been noted for being polite (especially on the road), and is an older city with a lot of old architecture (which I love, but is not the the OP's request).

CMDallas: Concerning San Diego: SD is still rather conservative and historically goes for the Republican each presidential election. Although, you are right that Houston might be a good fit as California has a small black population (only 3% I believe, in San Jose).
yeah, I know SD is Conservative. Hes not going to find the perfect city...and anyways...I met a Lesbian Black from San Diego...how far wrong could he go?

Old 02-23-2008, 02:47 AM

I feel I should comment on the criteria. The criteria is based upon deciding what you do not like in the places were you have lived, and then reversing those factors, ranking them in importance, and stripping the list to 13 or so factors. Reversing a factor means living in a place that is traditional and not modern - as something you did not personally like - becomes living in a place with modern spaces, for example. So you end up with a list of factors representing you most optimal conditions, and then you seek to find a place that meets those conditions. Reversing the factors in the first step of the process means the list is not affirmatively created, so to speak ; in other words, you do no know how the list will turn out or whether it will proved to be attainable. Ladera Heights leaves a question mark with me on one major point - what is the economic or cultural connection to the world? And why do I want to live in what has been described as a predominately black neighborhood when the black culture in the city is the last (and least important) factor in the list. Is there a start-up community there? Is it a relevant economy? If you can answer these questions appropriately or affirmatively, then I would consider it.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:54 AM

And also - just a reminder that the criteria for this thread appeared in the first post - it is not a question in the abstract. A list of 12 factors exists which we are seeking to meet - again, see the initial post. Thanks -

Old 02-23-2008, 08:50 AM

8,931 posts, read 11,826,443 times
Houston will soon be the new black mecca but what is all this talk about it not be liberal, very conservative, and on the wrong side politically. Do you people do your research? I can't remember the last time this city put a republican in office. Unless you're talking about the "upper east siders" of River Oaks

Old 02-23-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Houston will soon be the new black mecca but what is all this talk about it not be liberal, very conservative, and on the wrong side politically. Do you people do your research? I can't remember the last time this city put a republican in office. Unless you're talking about the "upper east siders" of River Oaks
I think the perception is that, because Houston is in a state the typically votes Republican, then the city must be a place with Republican political values too. Perhaps that is not the case and I need to look at the hard research. But I would be surprised if someone was to say that it is as Democratic as say San Francisco, for example. Some cities - Atlanta is an example - have a strong Democratic base but are within a state that is Republican and that does affect the tone there.

Old 02-23-2008, 01:03 PM

I think in many respects it comes down to - am I willing to live in a more moderate political climate (i.e., San Diego, Houston, Florida) and a less vibrant start-up environment (i.e., San Diego, Houston, Florida) in order to have warm weather year round; or am I willing to sacrifice the warm weather year-round and the reliably laid back lifestyle in order to live in a more Democratic city (i.e, Seatte, San Jose, San Francisco) with a more vibrant start-up community (i.e., San Francisco, Seattle, San Jose).

1. Houston and San Diego are more laid back than probably San Jose, San Fran or Seattle
2. Houston probably treats blacks the best of the cities - with San Francisco (or Seattle) perhaps second and San Diego perhaps third or so
3. Houston probaly has the best overall shopping - for my purposes anyway - because at the end of the day they all have good malls and Houston is likely the most affordable
4. San Francisco or Seattle (or perhaps even San Jose) have the strongest Democratic values
5. Houston probably has the most friendly people
6. San Diego and Houston have the best weather - year-round sunny weather
7. San Francisco is probably the most relevant city on the world stage out of this bunch - but Houston, San Diego, Seattle, and Palo Alto are not exactly irrelevant towns - they too are very strong economically and so on.
8. San Francisco is the most diverse most likely - but Houston has a strong minority population as well obviously and one that may even be more strongly situated in the city's structure of power
9. San Francisco, Seattle, and San Jose have the strong startup communities - but Houston is not a slouch either. But San Jose and San Francisco certainly beat it from a tech start-up standpoint.
10. San Francisco is probably the most modern (and progressive) city - but Houston and San Diego are as modern as anywhere else in the country.
11. San Francisco, Seattle, and San Diego fair better than Houston when it comes to allergies I think
12. Houston has the strongest black culture.

So it's a dead tie - Houston won six, San Francisco performed well in six. San Diego and San Jose (and even Seattle) are still good options.

Last edited by Onliner1; 02-23-2008 at 01:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or