U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city best meets the criteria LISTED BELOW developed by a black, male lawyer, age 30, looking f
Phoenix 0 0%
San Jose 1 3.13%
Fort Lauderdale 1 3.13%
Washington, D.C. 9 28.13%
Honolulu 0 0%
Charlotte, NC 3 9.38%
San Diego 0 0%
Omaha 0 0%
Seattle 1 3.13%
Houston 5 15.63%
Berkeley, CA 0 0%
Portland 0 0%
San Francisco 1 3.13%
Cayman Islands 2 6.25%
Landra Heights, CA 1 3.13%
Vancouver 1 3.13%
Chicago 5 15.63%
West Palm Beach, FL 2 6.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 06:40 PM

41 posts, read 89,147 times

Advertisements

In order of importance, with the most important factor listed first and the least last, which city best meets the following factors:

1. People move slowly, have time in their lives, and have time for family.
2. The people in the city or town embrace blacks and are friendly and kind.
3. The city or town has excellent shopping – both high end shopping (i.e., great shopping malls) and affordable shopping (i.e., Wallmart)

4. The city has predominately Democratic and not Republican political values; and, if the city was within a Democratic primary, the citizens voted for Senator Obama over Senator Clinton.
5. The people are warm to each, not overly materialistic, not high strung or frenetic, and not neurotically ambitious.
6. Warm, sunny weather year-round or close to year-round

7. The city has its own identity – it’s a relevant city with a meaningful economy that is connected to the world.
8. It’s multicultural (or even better, international) – and the multiculturalism has energy (not passivity) to it – in other words, minorities are a definite part of the power structure in local government and local corporations. Minorities have a strong voice.
9. The job market is appealing and, more importantly, has an entrepreneurial and business start-up spirit to it.

10. It is a modern city with modern spaces.
11. It’s good for allergies and not a pollen-ridden city or clouded in air pollution.
12. It has a sensible black culture.

* Please note, Atlanta is not an option in the poll.

Last edited by Onliner1; 02-21-2008 at 07:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 06:50 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,789,819 times
Out of those, I would vote Houston (it's more politically moderate than you think, and the type of conservatism there isn't the ignorant kind), Charlotte (clean, green, strong economy and welcoming to outsiders), the Ladera Heights section of LA (very much what you describe), Seattle (even though there aren't many blacks, it's very accepting), Fort Lauderdale (open minded and underrated city for blacks, just opened one of the most significant black research libraries in the country, also a large Caribbean black and subsaharan African population), DC (Great city with something for anyone, but some areas are very high on the materialism scale) and truthfully those are all good options except for the Caymans and WPB (a particularly high number of problems in it's black community).

I can tell you that out of all of those, Houston probably meets most of your criteria (1,2,3,5,6,7,8,9,10,12), followed by DC (2-5,7-9). Fort Lauderdale meets a surprising amount of your criteria (2-4,6,8,10-12). I think Houstons number one detractor is it might not be as liberal as you like, and it's also very polluted. DC can be material driven, and also has a somewhat cold winter. Charlotte might be lacking in some identity. Fort Lauderdale seriously lacks an entrepreneurial spirit to it, and it voted for Hillary although it is a more left leaning area. Chicago tends to be segregated, although it's a great city. San Diego has this sleepy feeling to it that I can't describe (it's definitely not an entrepreneur's environment), and does not have a large black population. I'm not familiar enough with the rest.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 02-21-2008 at 07:08 PM..

Old 02-21-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Out of those, I would vote Houston (it's more politically moderate than you think, and the type of conservatism there isn't the ignorant kind), Charlotte (clean, green, strong economy and welcoming to outsiders), the Ladera Heights section of LA (very much what you describe), Seattle (even though there aren't many blacks, it's very accepting), Fort Lauderdale (open minded and underrated city for blacks, just opened one of the most significant black research libraries in the country, also a large Caribbean black and subsaharan African population), DC (Great city with something for anyone, but some areas are very high on the materialism scale) and truthfully those are all good options except for the Caymans and WPB (a particularly high number of problems in it's black community).

I can tell you that out of all of those, Houston probably meets most of your criteria (1,2,3,5,6,7,8,9,10,12) followed by DC (1-5,7-9). Fort Lauderdale meets a surprising amount of your criteria (2-4,6,8,10-12).
Thanks very much for your feedback. But keep in mind that the black culture in the city is the least important factor on the list. It's a weighted scale really - so the higher numbered factors get more points. Now when I issued this poll previously, San Diego, Seattle, and San Francisco were overwhelmingly popular. But even those cities are not perfect. I guess we'll see how the poll turns out. But I probably should have deleted the reference to "black, male lawyer" in the question, which is irrelevant and so is the black culture in the city, by and large. I think most cities treat blacks well, with some minor exceptions. So some of the harder issues really come into play to turn the tide - the politics, the culture (not frenetic), the identity and connectivity to the world (Ft. Lauderdale, for example, is not in my view a meaningful economy), and so on.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:20 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,789,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onliner1 View Post
So some of the harder issues really come into play to turn the tide - the politics, the culture (not frenetic), the identity and connectivity to the world (Ft. Lauderdale, for example, is not in my view a meaningful economy), and so on.
Looking at that as a weighed scale, Houston is almost a perfect score in your first two "Brackets"...Fort Lauderdale is 30 minutes from Miami so it's part of a whole "South Florida" thing, but even Miami isn't really an economically "driven" city if you know what I am saying. I think the number one thing that would hold back Houston for you would be that it's on the right side of the center politically, but not by far...but I keep on sticking to it because it has so much else of what you are looking for, including very friendly people. DC also has so much of what you are looking for, but I think the people might be too material centered. I have a black friend here who sounds a lot like you and he has told me that although this isn't the best place on paper, there is something in the air here in South Florida that drew him here and he is doing very well.

IF you haven't already visited some of these places, visit them extensively and pick up the vibe.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:23 PM

2,237 posts, read 6,566,974 times
I can't say that I know for sure (being from the Northeast), but I think San Jose might be good fit for you. I think the San Jose area would be slower paced than many other major cities. Along with the rest of urban California, I seriously doubt the people there would be unwilling to accept and embrace blacks (and Northern California tends to be exceptionally "progressive" which seems to solve a number of your needs). Shopping should be good in Silicone Valley (or any other major metro for that matter). Again, Northern California is noted for its liberal ideals. The Bay Area is known for being fairly kind (at least for a major metro), and San Jose has a comfortable Mediterranean climate which means perpetual sun and it never gets cold.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
I can't say that I know for sure (being from the Northeast), but I think San Jose might be good fit for you. I think the San Jose area would be slower paced than many other major cities. Along with the rest of urban California, I seriously doubt the people there would be unwilling to accept and embrace blacks (and Northern California tends to be exceptionally "progressive" which seems to solve a number of your needs). Shopping should be good in Silicone Valley (or any other major metro for that matter). Again, Northern California is noted for its liberal ideals. The Bay Area is known for being fairly kind (at least for a major metro), and San Jose has a comfortable Mediterranean climate which means perpetual sun and it never gets cold.
What a charming analysis. Thank you - I like.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onliner1 View Post
What a charming analysis. Thank you - I like.
Thank you. Glad to help.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:56 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,657,970 times
Actually, I think St. Louis has most of those, except for probably 6 and 11.

But as far as diversity the city itself is 51% black and 43% white, and 53% female and 47% male.

And as far the job market I wouldn't think it would be hard for a lawyer to find a job. There are a few Law firms in the city.

But I know St. Louis isn't on your list. It does get fairly cold in St. Louis in winter, and allergies can be a problem. Although according to my pastor his sinuses aren't affected in Missouri nearly as bad as they were in Alabama.

I don't have anything bad to say about any of the cities on your list, but it does get fairly cold in Chicago.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:06 PM

1,528 posts, read 5,714,224 times
you're being a little picky, no city will fit all this criteria...

1. People move slowly, have time in their lives, and have time for family.
mmm...not many cities move slowly these days
2. The people in the city or town embrace blacks and are friendly and kind.
ahh thats mostly everywhere now...its is also not everywhere...so be prepared for a smile or a dirty look no matter where you go.
3. The city or town has excellent shopping both high end shopping (i.e., great shopping malls) and affordable shopping (i.e., Wallmart)
sounds like any big city

4. The city has predominately Democratic and not Republican political values; and, if the city was within a Democratic primary, the citizens voted for Senator Obama over Senator Clinton.
picky picky picky... San Diego probably went Clinton...I can see it mattering if it was GOP or Democratic but...Obama over Hilary...picky...
5. The people are warm to each, not overly materialistic, not high strung or frenetic, and not neurotically ambitious.
Cities are gathered up ambitious people, people are the same everywhere...but some cities do do a better job...you can't stereotype a whole city though.
6. Warm, sunny weather year-round or close to year-round
sounds like CA

7. The city has its own identity its a relevant city with a meaningful economy that is connected to the world.
yeah...
8. Its multicultural (or even better, international) and the multiculturalism has energy (not passivity) to it in other words, minorities are a definite part of the power structure in local government and local corporations. Minorities have a strong voice.
yeah...white people still control politics throughout the country
9. The job market is appealing and, more importantly, has an entrepreneurial and business start-up spirit to it.
mmm...Hawaii is not so good...well for Doctors i hear...

10. It is a modern city with modern spaces.
yeah...
11. Its good for allergies and not a pollen-ridden city or clouded in air pollution.
picky...sounds like socal
12. It has a sensible black culture.
mmm

overall I would go with Houston or San Diego.... San Diego is solidly Hilary as i recall...and still majority white...

Old 02-21-2008, 09:10 PM

I would like to know who is voting for DC? DC is undoubtedly one of the most hectic cities in the country, is certainly not warm and sunny all year round, has never been noted for being polite (especially on the road), and is an older city with a lot of old architecture (which I love, but is not the the OP's request).

CMDallas: Concerning San Diego: SD is still rather conservative and historically goes for the Republican each presidential election. Although, you are right that Houston might be a good fit as California has a small black population (only 3% I believe, in San Jose).

Last edited by ainulinale; 02-21-2008 at 09:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or