U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 02:03 PM

539 posts, read 245,388 times

Advertisements

I was going to suggest Hood River, OR (easily 2 hours from PDX airport) but if Eugene doesn't have enough "amenities" for you, whatever those might be, then Hood River will surely be out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 06:00 AM

2,545 posts, read 1,634,457 times
Try Reno, NV. Tons of outdoor activities. Emerging foodie scenes. Close to Lake Tahoe, etc.

Carson city/ Linden/ Gardnerville area would fit too. Check them out!

Old 02-15-2017, 06:05 AM

2,545 posts, read 1,634,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
You seem to have taken eastern cities out of the equation, is there any particular reason why? You don't think anything in the areas of the Appalachians might fit?
I think once you live in mountain town in the west, east coast mountain wouldn't cut it.

Old 02-16-2017, 12:00 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 16 days ago)

10,456 posts, read 14,303,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
I think once you live in mountain town in the west, east coast mountain wouldn't cut it.
OP stated they considered Ashville and crossed it off because of humidity, so I really doubt that is the reason.

Old 02-16-2017, 03:54 PM

3,024 posts, read 2,461,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillingTime1102 View Post
I have searched and searched and have not found an exact answer so firstly, I apologize if I missed the answer somewhere in the forums! Secondly, thank you for any help you can offer!

My husband and I currently live in Colorado. We are looking for the right town to settle in and buy a house. We have been hunting (visiting) various towns for the past two years and have yet to find a good match.

Here is what we are looking for:
-If you are familiar with Boulder, CO that city has the vibe we love! It is bikeable, there are so many restaurants, it is clean, it has fabulous access to the outdoors... BUT it is WAY out of our price range. We would need over $750,000 to get a decent house there (i.e. one with a two car garage and maybe granite counters in the kitchen).
-A place where we can get a decent house (two car garage and *fingers crossed* granite counters in the kitchen for under $600K.
-We are extremely active outdoors so we need a town that is close to hiking, camping, and fly fishing spots.
-It would be ideal if the town had 4 seasons! We don't need as much snow as CO provides, but we do not want to go back to 100+ degree days constantly in the summer (we lived in Austin,TX).
-We love to travel so a town that is within 2 hours to an airport would be great.
-I am a teacher so I can work anywhere and my husband works remotely as a computer engineer so the job market is not an issue.
-We want a town that has unique, locally owned restaurants. If chain restaurants are the main source of dining, then we are most likely not interested in the area. We really do not want to live in Suburbia.
-A neutral religious/political scene. We are not active in either of those areas and would rather everyone go about doing their own thing without pressure from one end or the other.
-A walkable downtwon is an added bonus!

We have visited the following towns and they were not right for us for one reason or another: Asheville,NC / Austin, TX / Bend, OR / Ashland, OR / Eugene, OR / Corvallis, OR / Portland, OR / Seattle, WA / Logan, UT / Flagstaff, AZ / Missoula, MT / Bozeman, MT / San Francisco, CA / San Diego, CA / Pretty much every town in Colorado

Again, thank you for any help you can give me in our hunt!!
Considering that no other option is okay for you, maybe move up the Front Range to Fort Collins?

Old 02-23-2017, 11:06 AM

2,090 posts, read 1,829,974 times
Boulder is expensive because a lot of people want to live here. So, you need to either move somewhere else that fits your budget or change your want list. If you want to stay in Boulder, the first things to go need to be 2 car garage and updated. Also, move to a surrounding town for a few years until you have a bit more money and then buy in Boulder. Almost everyone on my street started outside of Boulder until they could afford inside the bubble.

If you can't change your wants, then Fort Collins, Boise, and Eugene are your best bets.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:49 AM

2,412 posts, read 1,321,273 times
You want what you want - and I can certainly understand that - so I would not suggest that you relook at the Asheville NC (AREA - not just Asheville proper) but I will say that, though I have many issues with downtown Asheville itself (yes, it is quaint and has non-chain restaurants but parking is a nuisance, the traffic can sometimes on those narrow hilly streets be a nightmare if you are in a hurry and I would say much of that part of the area is too liberal for me - which means that it is probably not suitable for you politically but then if it isn't, I don't quite see how Boulder suits you there either), I am curious about your rejection criteria and how that fits here.

Just fyi, the overall climate here probably isn't quite as unsuitable as you think it is (though yes there are days it is not Vegas-like in humidity terms and summer 'can' be bad at times for a few days at a time but is still much better than further east in NC, or south in SC or GA), it is close to an airport (I live on the south side and it is 3 miles from me but I rarely hear airplane noise here either), it is very close to outdoor activity possibilities, has hills (nope .. not mountains despite what they call them here but I adapted anyway and I grew up near the Rockies, the ranges around here have enough definition and height to soothe the soul when needed), has a fair bit of bright sunny weather (the climate is generally not oppressive at all - it is 70F, humidity is 44% and mostly sunny here today and my rhododendrons are blooming but this is quite a bit warmer this year than normal), you can get a nice house still in this area with granite countertops for under what you stated is what you want to spend. Since you don't need jobs here (well, one perhaps but as you say your job is quite transportable though I gather teachers are not paid that well in NC overall), it would not 'seem' as bad a fit as you say it is.

Somehow I do think you might have gotten the wrong impression about Asheville especially when it comes to the 'highways' etc. Did you drive yourself around or did someone else drive you? We don't really have many highways at all here (though 40/26/240 are 'close' to the city I admit) and everything in town is definitely reachable without going on a highway/interstate at all. I prefer never to take them if I am not in a supreme hurry (or on a Friday afternoon if I am in a hurry).

And this is not a big city, believe me .. it is still 'small(er) town' by most American standards (Asheville proper has a smaller population than Boulder CO) .. though it has begun to take in surrounding towns a bit or at least it may seem so if you travel south for instance on 25 (which is really a regular street that runs s/n from Hendersonville through Asheville to Waynesville but changes names along the way - it is a secondary highway once out of town on the south side - and runs all the way to South Carolina there) and never see an end to 'civilization' along the road - but many places have done that (this is merely a corridor though and it is not very wide at all). I think one needs to go more east/west (or look at a map) to really get a sense of what size Asheville is.

NO place is perfect though some place may be perfect for YOU (but not for most of us) so I won't try to sell you on Asheville (where I landed quite by chance .. no analysis).

I won't try to convince you as I said but I have to ask .. how long did you spend in this area and how far afield did you wander from downtown, and what season of the year did you visit? Just interested because your perspective on this area is not one I have heard before - especially that highway thing.

I look forward to hearing where you do choose to move. And I wish you good hunting in the meantime. Having a dream and pursuing it I think is often what makes life exciting - so I wish you much excitement in this search.

Last edited by Aery11; 02-23-2017 at 12:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or