U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Open-Air Malls/Lifestyle Centers 14 37.84%
Indoor Malls 10 27.03%
Neither 3 8.11%
It doesn't matter. Both are fine with me. 10 27.03%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 11:56 AM

63 posts, read 45,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Either way those anchor malls are declining like crazy and for a good reason. It's all convienence. Why would you waste driving, using gas, and drive to a mall hoping you'll find something you like rather than do it on a computer? Online shopping is becoming dominate. I prefer that instead of seeing more retail businesses and malls filling up more space in our towns/cities.
That is true for certain things but i always like to shop for certian things in person such as clothes, cologne/perfume, anything you have to feel or smell, gifts for other people to make sure they are good quality etc.. I also find it alot more fun picking stuff out in person than on the computer. Its not worth the savings for me. Online shopping also puts alot of strain on mom and pop businesses that do not have websites for online shopping and seem to promote mostly large businesses instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 12:08 PM

14,976 posts, read 31,366,361 times
I avoid indoor malls like the plague. I can't stand trying to get around slow walking people, especially slow moving couples holding hands or pushing strollers, or groups of teens. I also can't stand the echo sounds in malls either from all of the tile, for some reason it gives me a headache.

Old 09-06-2016, 01:07 PM

5,856 posts, read 6,528,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
Deer Park is a large, multi-site outdoor mall but it's not very pedestrian friendly (have to drive to get there and walking from one building to another has you crossing through large parking lots).

Malls like Woodfield in Schaumburg and the one in Vernon Hills have turned some areas outside facing but the inside is still primary.

In the Twin Cities they built the Shops at West End near the boarder or Minneapolis/St Louis Park/Golden Valley. Parking is mostly in ramps or underground. It's a beautiful new development but rents are very high and it's more for entertainment (movie, restaurants) than regular retail. It's also confusing the first few times you visit.
actually Deer Park was the one I had in mind when I mentioned life style centers. Your description is right....it really is a long, unwalkable strip with stores only on one side of the street. Woodfield succeeds like no other indoor mall due to its size; it's like a virtual mini-downtown in its offering. Hawthorn has definitely taken advantage of using those outside facing spaces and seems to be going the route of going heavily into restaurants and entertainment.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:16 PM

4,665 posts, read 2,638,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_Watts View Post
Outdoor malls make absolutely NO sense in places like KC where for six months of the year, it's either uncomfortably hot OR cold, and four of the remaining six months are rainy. We only get two months of pleasant weather to truly enjoy our outdoor malls.

Outdoor malls also fail miserably at recreating the urban experience they try to mimic. No, thanks. Bring back the indoor malls, please....
Lol, it's funny you mention KC since they are building a few open air malls/shopping centers. As someone who lives here, even with the bad weather, I still prefer outdoor malls the majority of the time. If it's snowing real bad or icy, in not driving anywhere to go shopping. But even if it's a light snow or rain, I prefer an outdoor mall.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:31 PM

20 posts, read 17,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
The downtown area of a lot of smaller towns used to be the shopping district as well.

And they often looked a lot like this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=vict...w=1118&bih=703
You're talking about smaller towns, make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_Watts View Post
Outdoor malls also fail miserably at recreating the urban experience they try to mimic. No, thanks. Bring back the indoor malls, please....
According to this thread, and the opinions of several other individuals, it seems as if Outdoor malls are a success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or