U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which U.S. city is biggest on hockey?
Boston 25 16.56%
Chicago 17 11.26%
Detroit 39 25.83%
New York 3 1.99%
Philadelphia 27 17.88%
Pittsburgh 11 7.28%
Los Angeles 2 1.32%
Other 27 17.88%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 11:30 AM

21,218 posts, read 30,435,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirite View Post
Boston, Chicago and Pittsburgh need championships to be relevant in their cities, so not them.
Plausible theory if were close to true. Chicago, Boston and Pittsburgh rank 1st, 9th and 10th respectively out of a 30 team league which destroys any notion of irrelevance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 05:32 PM

151 posts, read 83,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Plausible theory if were close to true. Chicago, Boston and Pittsburgh rank 1st, 9th and 10th respectively out of a 30 team league which destroys any notion of irrelevance.

Ranking in terms of what exactly?

Remember when the Blackhawks were ranked by ESPN as the worst franchise in sports? No? I'll post that for you.

ESPN.com: Page 2 : Worst franchise: Blackhawks

Yes, such a great hockey town, that had deplorable attendance for ten years straight from the mid-late 90's to the mid-2000's.

Chicago Blackhawks yearly attendance at hockeydb.com

Remember when the Penguins almost moved out of Pittsburgh? No? I'll post that for you too.

Penguins to aggressively explore relocation

Lets see their attendance.

Pittsburgh Penguins yearly attendance at hockeydb.com

Early 80's, all of the 90's and early 2000's. Such wonderful attendance figures.

Boston? Another "hockeytown" that needed a championship to become relevant. They even needed a logo change in 2007.

Boston Bruins yearly attendance at hockeydb.com

Get a ****ing clue.

Philadelphia (a city whose sports teams I absolutely despise as we all do) has consistently sold out (keep in mind arena capacities via the Spectrum and current arena Wachovia/Wells Fargo Center)

Philadelphia Flyers yearly attendance at hockeydb.com

Philly hasn't won the Cup in 40 years, but they still wear their Flyers gear everywhere around town. You can see it daily.

Philadelphia fans may be violent, but they're an extremely passionate group of people given the lack of success of their teams.

If Philadelphia ever wins multiple Cups or sports championships in a given period like Chicago, Boston and Pittsburgh have, it'll be even more unbearable than the other three. Franchise value will skyrocket passed those three.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:37 PM

135 posts, read 94,881 times
So you linked an article showing the Blackhawks were considered the worst franchise in all of sports then one showing correspondingly bad attendance. What exactly is the alternative? Selling out and lining the pockets of an owner who obviously doesn't care about the fans? I don't even like the Hawks but that's always been a silly argument against them. I'd rather fans be like that than like Leaf fans who sell out every game and suffer through mediocrity for years and decades

In fact the first article even says this:

"Chicago's a helluva hockey town. But, well, you've got to give them something resembling hockey."

Last edited by Joe Mantegna; 10-05-2016 at 06:51 PM..

Old 10-05-2016, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Mantegna View Post
So you linked an article showing the Blackhawks were considered the worst franchise in all of sports then one showing correspondingly bad attendance. What exactly is the alternative? Selling out and lining the pockets of an owner who obviously doesn't care about the fans? I don't even like the Hawks but that's always been a silly argument against them. I'd rather fans be like that than like Leaf fans who sell out every game and suffer through mediocrity for years and decades

In fact the first article even says this:

"Chicago's a helluva hockey town. But, well, you've got to give them something resembling hockey."

There are 29 losers every year and a number of ****head owners. It still doesn't justify poor attendance.

Sorry but it's extremely disingenuous to suggest any place is a great hockey town when they only sell out when they're winning.

There is something to be said for teams whose fans show up every night to pack the building and never win.

Championships mean zilch because teams are made up of players that aren't local and have no local ties.

These teams are hot tickets in town, but what happens when they become mediocre to lottery pick worthy again? Will the fans still show up? That's the real question.

What about the fans that were there before the Cups?

It's funny. I never knew a single Blackhawks or Bruins fan until they won a Cup. Only took 20 years to meet one.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:53 PM

135 posts, read 94,881 times
I'm not saying it's the best hockey town, I didn't vote for it. I don't even think it's top 5. But it's far from a bad hockey town which is what the same regurgitated bandwagon lines would suggest. Not winning a championship doesn't justify bad attendance, but having the worst owner in sports who blacked out games for local fans completely justifies poor attendance. Other than that bad period from the late 90's through the mid 00's, their attendance has been just fine

Old 10-06-2016, 12:36 AM

311 posts, read 219,157 times
Flyers fans are crazy in Philly.

Old 10-06-2016, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Mantegna View Post
I'm not saying it's the best hockey town, I didn't vote for it. I don't even think it's top 5. But it's far from a bad hockey town which is what the same regurgitated bandwagon lines would suggest. Not winning a championship doesn't justify bad attendance, but having the worst owner in sports who blacked out games for local fans completely justifies poor attendance. Other than that bad period from the late 90's through the mid 00's, their attendance has been just fine

They were never broadcasted locally until 2007, but their attendance didn't dip that low in decades prior, so what was the story then? Bill Wirtz was a dinosaur, but it still doesn't justify the low attendance. Like I said, there are bad owners everywhere.

No **** their attendance has been fine, they have Toews, Kane and Keith and won three Cups.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:09 AM

5,967 posts, read 7,334,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirite View Post

Remember when the Penguins almost moved out of Pittsburgh? No? I'll post that for you too.

Penguins to aggressively explore relocation

Lets see their attendance.

Pittsburgh Penguins yearly attendance at hockeydb.com

Early 80's, all of the 90's and early 2000's. Such wonderful attendance figures.
You realize the Civic Arena's capacity was 16,940 compared to Consol's/PPG's capacity of 18,387 right? That's why there was an attendance jump in 2010. Lemieux has also stated several times he used to moving threat to get the inept and slow moving PA state government to help make a deal for an arena and never seriously considered moving the team.

Furthermore, if you look at how other teams attendance was in the 90's you see the Pens were hardly near the bottom for most of the decade. It wasn't until 1999 the pens attendance started to look bad because of ownership issues (somewhat like with the Hawks) and many other NHL teams were starting to open new arenas in the mid 90's onward that had a capacity much higher the Civic Arena.

http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendan...L1927&sid=1992

http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendan...L1927&sid=1994

http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendan...L1927&sid=1996

http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendan...L1927&sid=1997

Last edited by bradjl2009; 10-06-2016 at 09:34 AM..

Old 10-06-2016, 09:28 AM

2,894 posts, read 1,221,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I know hockey is big in Chicago, but it wasnt until the Hawks were Cup winners that the fans came out of the woodwork (read: BANDWAGONERS).
Let me clarify just how wrong this statement is. The fan base grew NOT because of THREE Stanley Cups, but rather because of the change in ownership which took place in 2007, well before the first Cup in 2010.

The fan base was always there. The issue was that they hated Bill Wirtz for his archaic policies of not showing home games on TV and not really putting much into the Blackhawks, among other things. When he died in 2007, his son Rocky took over and immediately changed the entire landscape. He rebuilt the entire organization and the Hawks were relevant again.

So it isn't that fans just jumped on board. Life-long fans brought in a new generation. It would be more correct to say the organization reinvented itself to become one of the premier teams in the NHL. 300 consecutive sellouts and three Stanley Cups should tell you how the team has evolved, and that isn't changing anytime soon.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:34 AM

5,967 posts, read 7,334,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
Let me clarify just how wrong this statement is. The fan base grew NOT because of THREE Stanley Cups, but rather because of the change in ownership which took place in 2007, well before the first Cup in 2010.

The fan base was always there. The issue was that they hated Bill Wirtz for his archaic policies of not showing home games on TV and not really putting much into the Blackhawks, among other things. When he died in 2007, his son Rocky took over and immediately changed the entire landscape. He rebuilt the entire organization and the Hawks were relevant again.

So it isn't that fans just jumped on board. Life-long fans brought in a new generation. It would be more correct to say the organization reinvented itself to become one of the premier teams in the NHL. 300 consecutive sellouts and three Stanley Cups should tell you how the team has evolved, and that isn't changing anytime soon.
I heard the pre 2007 owner for the Hawks was awful, but didn't realize there were no home games on TV until then. Wow, what a moronic idea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.