U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which U.S. city is biggest on hockey?
Boston 25 16.56%
Chicago 17 11.26%
Detroit 39 25.83%
New York 3 1.99%
Philadelphia 27 17.88%
Pittsburgh 11 7.28%
Los Angeles 2 1.32%
Other 27 17.88%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 10:13 AM

2,881 posts, read 1,215,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I heard the pre 2007 owner for the Hawks was awful, but didn't realize there were no home games on TV until then. Wow, what a moronic idea!
Yes, that's true. The old man Bill Wirtz felt that showing home games on TV would lead to fewer season ticket holders. That has proven to not be true, but back then it was different.

I remember prior to 2007 having to go to a bar that had a satellite dish that could pick up the visitor's TV feed. That was the only way to see a home game unless you went to it. Even then the bars could not get games against some Canadian teams. It was nuts, but the bars were packed if/when they had the home games on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 10:19 AM

4,445 posts, read 3,527,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
Yes, that's true. The old man Bill Wirtz felt that showing home games on TV would lead to fewer season ticket holders. That has proven to not be true, but back then it was different.

I remember prior to 2007 having to go to a bar that had a satellite dish that could pick up the visitor's TV feed. That was the only way to see a home game unless you went to it. Even then the bars could not get games against some Canadian teams. It was nuts, but the bars were packed if/when they had the home games on.
Wow, that's terrible.

Old 10-06-2016, 11:21 AM

151 posts, read 83,585 times
Dollar Bill Wirtz is one of many terrible dinosaur owners, but it still doesn't justify the attendance issues.

The Rangers and Leafs have had inept ownership for decades and fans still show up, and don't tell me its because Toronto is more of a hockey town or New York is simply bigger. They're all huge sports towns and markets.

Chicago gets a ton of excuses.

Boston however, definitely doesn't deserve excuses. With all the college hockey there and players from there, it's inexcusable for the Bruins to draw half a crowd in most of the 2000's before their eventual Cup in 2011. That is why I don't buy anything regarding Boston being a great hockey town.

Boston is an overrated sports town in general. All these championships made it look good, but it won't look as good when all the bandwagon fans go away and their teams start to suck again just like the pre-2000s.

Old 10-06-2016, 12:41 PM

4,445 posts, read 3,527,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirite View Post
Dollar Bill Wirtz is one of many terrible dinosaur owners, but it still doesn't justify the attendance issues.

The Rangers and Leafs have had inept ownership for decades and fans still show up, and don't tell me its because Toronto is more of a hockey town or New York is simply bigger. They're all huge sports towns and markets.

Chicago gets a ton of excuses.

Boston however, definitely doesn't deserve excuses. With all the college hockey there and players from there, it's inexcusable for the Bruins to draw half a crowd in most of the 2000's before their eventual Cup in 2011. That is why I don't buy anything regarding Boston being a great hockey town.

Boston is an overrated sports town in general. All these championships made it look good, but it won't look as good when all the bandwagon fans go away and their teams start to suck again just like the pre-2000s.
Patriot fans are the worst. Wait until Brady/Belichick era is over. We'll see then.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:15 PM

135 posts, read 94,410 times
Quote:
No **** their attendance has been fine, they have Toews, Kane and Keith and won three Cups.
Don't be dumb. If you notice I said in times OTHER than the period where the fans boycotted Wirtz in the 90s-00s it was fine, and that includes the time before hand. They've been around since the 20s, you don't last that long by having nobody care about your team or go to your games. You seem hellbent on pushing this narrative though for some reason

Old 10-06-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Mantegna View Post
Don't be dumb. If you notice I said in times OTHER than the period where the fans boycotted Wirtz in the 90s-00s it was fine, and that includes the time before hand. They've been around since the 20s, you don't last that long by having nobody care about your team or go to your games. You seem hellbent on pushing this narrative though for some reason

You don't get to pick and choose what eras matter and what ones don't for the sake of conveniently ignoring something.

While Chicago may have "better" excuses than Boston or Pittsburgh, there are other cities who have never not sold out consistently like St. Paul and Philadelphia. Buffalo is also a better hockey town than the first three, easily.

All things being equal here, which is either Cups or no Cups.

It's easy to say a particular city is great at hockey when they cherrypick a Cup victory. I remember when hockey was completely irrelevant in Chicago and Boston just over half a decade ago. Nobody paid attention to the Blackhawks and Bruins. You couldn't pay anyone to go to a game over five years ago. Now all the sudden they're the darlings of the league. Get real. Not to fans of other teams who haven't won and still follow religiously.

It's easy to piggyback off a Cup team/city.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:19 PM

737 posts, read 1,412,053 times
Minneapolis-St Paul, Boston, Denver are what I think of.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:31 PM

135 posts, read 94,410 times
Quote:
You don't get to pick and choose what eras matter and what ones don't for the sake of conveniently ignoring something.

While Chicago may have "better" excuses than Boston or Pittsburgh, there are other cities who have never not sold out consistently like St. Paul and Philadelphia. Buffalo is also a better hockey town than the first three, easily.

All things being equal here, which is either Cups or no Cups.

It's easy to say a particular city is great at hockey when they cherrypick a Cup victory. I remember when hockey was completely irrelevant in Chicago and Boston just over half a decade ago. Nobody paid attention to the Blackhawks and Bruins. You couldn't pay anyone to go to a game over five years ago. Now all the sudden they're the darlings of the league. Get real. Not to fans of other teams who haven't won and still follow religiously.

If a team has been in existence for 90 years and had poor attendance for less than a decade I would say that's the exception rather than the rule no? Their attendance was just fine prior to the Wirtz boycott, and in case you hadn't noticed they weren't the darlings of the league then, they had very little on ice success relative to almost all the other O6 teams throughout most of their history. Again, I've stated they aren't the best hockey town and would agree they aren't MSP or Philly, but I never claimed they were. But they're also far from the worst or even close to it. The whole "all Blackhawks fans are bandwagon" shtick gets old

Old 10-07-2016, 07:26 AM

2,881 posts, read 1,215,102 times
Quote:
You couldn't pay anyone to go to a game over five years ago. Now all the sudden they're the darlings of the league. Get real. Not to fans of other teams who haven't won and still follow religiously.

Well, I would call BS on this based on facts.

Chicago Blackhawks yearly attendance at hockeydb.com

Particularly look at the seasons 2000/2001 to 2006/2007, the so-called "dark" years when you say you couldn't pay someone to go to a game. Even during those years the Hawks averaged around 14,000. It's not what they draw now, but the stadium was hardly empty.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
Well, I would call BS on this based on facts.

Chicago Blackhawks yearly attendance at hockeydb.com

Particularly look at the seasons 2000/2001 to 2006/2007, the so-called "dark" years when you say you couldn't pay someone to go to a game. Even during those years the Hawks averaged around 14,000. It's not what they draw now, but the stadium was hardly empty.

Hardly a diehard hockey town either.

There are plenty of other cities who have never had attendance issues that Chicago has had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.