U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which U.S. city is biggest on hockey?
Boston 25 16.56%
Chicago 17 11.26%
Detroit 39 25.83%
New York 3 1.99%
Philadelphia 27 17.88%
Pittsburgh 11 7.28%
Los Angeles 2 1.32%
Other 27 17.88%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 06:16 PM

151 posts, read 83,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Nice stats from 7 years ago. But no stats on that pahe support your claim, either in pure numbers or percentages

You're the one making the wild claim. I would just like some stats to back it up

Yeah your data was more recent. Wait a minute. You didn't supply any data.

Nice rebuttal. Next time just say you don't know what the **** you're talking about and move along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
But Gillette doesn't sell out. Even back when tickets were cheap. So the argument that the Pats are restricted by capacity doesn't mean anything. The avg Pats ticket is $122 by the way vs $79 for the Falcons. The NY Giants have the most expensive tickets.

At least the Bruins weren't as embarrassed as the Celtics in 2004 when they drew less than the Revolution on local tv. Woof.

HFBoards - View Single Post - NESN ratings for Bruins down 19%

Boston is such a bandwagon sports town. Who knows where they would be without all the success the last 15 years.

I don't think Boston would be as high as Buffalo and Philadelphia are without the success. Those two cities have one combined championship in the last 33 years and still sell out.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:36 PM

4,445 posts, read 3,544,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
See my quote above. Would be nice if you actually posted some stats to back your claim. Add to that your link actually doesn't support any of your claims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirite View Post
Yeah your data was more recent. Wait a minute. You didn't supply any data.

Nice rebuttal. Next time just say you don't know what the **** you're talking about and move along.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:15 AM

Oh.. the point of your link is what, exactly?

Old 10-12-2016, 10:11 AM

135 posts, read 95,018 times
Quote:
Most recent data I can find, but go nuts pal.

http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...by-state/?_r=0
That link at worst shows that you are completely wrong and at best shows that you made a very poorly worded claim in which you really meant something different from what you actually said. The link still shows MN, MA, and MI as having more players (despite all being less populated than the places you mentioned), which in turn means a higher percentage of US total players, and more players per capita. And as IShootNikon has provided, those states also have the greatest numbers of players in the pros too, both in numbers and percentages. So what exactly is your claim?

Old 10-12-2016, 08:21 PM

Jesus tap-dancing Christ. None of your rambling has anything to do with what I said. It's not ****ing brain surgery. Or maybe it is.

PA, IL and CA are churning out higher % of growth than MN, MI and especially MA.

Massachusetts appears to have plateaued, while CA, IL and PA are growing faster.

The data is right ****ing there to read. I am not talking about aggregate numbers. I am talking about % growth.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:52 PM

135 posts, read 95,018 times
Quote:
Jesus tap-dancing Christ. None of your rambling has anything to do with what I said. It's not ****ing brain surgery. Or maybe it is.

PA, IL and CA are churning out higher % of growth than MN, MI and especially MA.

Massachusetts appears to have plateaued, while CA, IL and PA are growing faster.

The data is right ****ing there to read. I am not talking about aggregate numbers. I am talking about % growth.
Then maybe you should have said exactly what you meant. Because what you actually said sure as **** isn't the same as the bolded. But to your point, no kidding, it's easier to grow at a faster rate when you have a small base to begin with. That's why the top 10 is occupied by such hockey hotbeds as NC, GA, KY and TN. When they start getting close in aggregate numbers then we can talk

Old 10-13-2016, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Mantegna View Post
Then maybe you should have said exactly what you meant. Because what you actually said sure as **** isn't the same as the bolded. But to your point, no kidding, it's easier to grow at a faster rate when you have a small base to begin with. That's why the top 10 is occupied by such hockey hotbeds as NC, GA, KY and TN. When they start getting close in aggregate numbers then we can talk
Thanks John Daly.

Old 10-14-2016, 06:15 AM

1,241 posts, read 980,146 times
Boston still hasn't produced more NHL players per capita than Buffalo, Detroit or Minneapolis.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 10-14-2016 at 06:34 AM..

Old 10-14-2016, 09:58 AM

3,017 posts, read 1,876,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
Boston still hasn't produced more NHL players per capita than Buffalo, Detroit or Minneapolis.
Nobody is proclaiming that Boston is number 1. However, amirite, is acting like Boston is on the same level as Omaha which is completely idiotic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.