U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which U.S. city is biggest on hockey?
Boston 25 16.56%
Chicago 17 11.26%
Detroit 39 25.83%
New York 3 1.99%
Philadelphia 27 17.88%
Pittsburgh 11 7.28%
Los Angeles 2 1.32%
Other 27 17.88%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 11:33 AM

151 posts, read 83,624 times

Advertisements

Mmmm.. nope. All i'm saying is Boston is not number one.

I've paid attention to sports for the last 25 years. The only team and fans I would say set a standard are the Red Sox.

The Patriots were nobodies and afterthoughts until the Brady era. Celtics and Bruins were off the map and couldn't sell out until they won too. There is just a huge bandwagon element to Boston sports that people overlook because they're so successful the last 15 years.

Any prolonged losing period that happens to Boston again, we will really find out how great of a sports town it is. All things being equal, it's a Red Sox town, win or lose.

I think you will see attendance take a hit for the Patriots when Brady is gone and that era is over.

I have way more respect for cities that are passionate win or lose, always sell out.

joeyg has lived in Boston. He has experienced the fairweather fandom of Boston. Ask him about it. I am not wrong.

It's all overshadowed by their championships though.

Take this debate to the baseball thread, and you won't get an argument from me. Boston is top three no question for baseball. But when it comes to hockey, football and basketball, hell ****ing no. Very overrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 12:50 PM

9,382 posts, read 9,543,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirite View Post
Mmmm.. nope. All i'm saying is Boston is not number one.

I've paid attention to sports for the last 25 years. The only team and fans I would say set a standard are the Red Sox.

The Patriots were nobodies and afterthoughts until the Brady era. Celtics and Bruins were off the map and couldn't sell out until they won too. There is just a huge bandwagon element to Boston sports that people overlook because they're so successful the last 15 years.

Any prolonged losing period that happens to Boston again, we will really find out how great of a sports town it is. All things being equal, it's a Red Sox town, win or lose.

I think you will see attendance take a hit for the Patriots when Brady is gone and that era is over.

I have way more respect for cities that are passionate win or lose, always sell out.

joeyg has lived in Boston. He has experienced the fairweather fandom of Boston. Ask him about it. I am not wrong.

It's all overshadowed by their championships though.

Take this debate to the baseball thread, and you won't get an argument from me. Boston is top three no question for baseball. But when it comes to hockey, football and basketball, hell ****ing no. Very overrated.
Do you understand NHL=/=Hockey, from peewee on up, Boston is easily top 3 with the Twin Cities in Buffalo with how prevalent Hockey actually is in the community.
Tampa has better NHL Attendance than Ottawa, but is Hockey more popular in Tampa than Ottawa?
and on top of that NESN rating for the Bruins have been better than almost the entire league despite not making the playoffs.

Old 10-14-2016, 04:16 PM

1,229 posts, read 975,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
Nobody is proclaiming that Boston is number 1. However, amirite, is acting like Boston is on the same level as Omaha which is completely idiotic.
25 people are claiming Boston is #1.

Old 10-14-2016, 04:23 PM

1,229 posts, read 975,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Do you understand NHL=/=Hockey, from peewee on up, Boston is easily top 3 with the Twin Cities in Buffalo with how prevalent Hockey actually is in the community.
Tampa has better NHL Attendance than Ottawa, but is Hockey more popular in Tampa than Ottawa?
and on top of that NESN rating for the Bruins have been better than almost the entire league despite not making the playoffs.
Tampa sells out because they're one of the best teams in the league. When they sucked, they couldn't sell out (like Boston).

The Bruins were playoff contenders. "Not making the playoffs" by one game doesn't mean Boston fans suffered the whole season and the last time they missed the playoffs was 2006-07.

The Sabres are #1 in the ratings despite being absolutely horrendous. When Buffalo wins a Stanley Cup, that city is going to lose its mind.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 10-14-2016 at 05:49 PM..

Old 10-15-2016, 11:29 AM

^^^^ 100% correct.

Maybe he is just as annoyed as I am to see Boston getting jerked off so much when it comes to sports.

Personally speaking, Boston wasn't on my sports radar until about 2011 when the Bruins won, and I have followed hockey since the early 90s. Hockey is really the only sport I care about, but it says a lot about Boston if they just came onto the map five years ago. They were irrelevant for almost two decades.

If they were the best hockey town, they would have sold out during that entire period despite the bad product on the ice and I would have no problem with it, but the past two decades of hockey coverage, there was NEVER a peep about Boston and hockey ever, and yes, I have always known of Boston's strong hockey roots, so it was always puzzling to me why I NEVER saw any Bruins fans.

Why do we see Sabres and Flyers fans everywhere today despite their total lack of success? Why? The Flyers beat the Kings in LA last night and there was a "Lets go Flyers" chant at Staples Center. That team hasn't won in over 40 years.

Fact of the matter is, if your city/team doesn't win, nobody notices you or cares. Boston has won a lot since 2000, so they're constantly covered in sports media, which creates a false narrative for being the best sports town, but really, it's enjoying a historic hot streak. All things being equal, it's no different than most of it's peers.

The only fanbase in Boston I give credit is the Red Sox, even despite the pink hats. Boston is a top three baseball town. Everything else is flavor of the week.

I judge mostly by personal experience. I live four hours from Boston (and NYC and Philly). My region of Upstate NY is a mix of NY, Buffalo, Philly and Boston fans. I never saw Celtics stuff around here until they won in 2008. Never saw Bruins stuff til they won in 2011. Patriots stuff didn't exist until after their third Super Bowl cementing them as a near dynasty in the early 2000s.

Even despite Boston's record success, I would probably say Buffalo and Philly have just as many fans here as Boston does, which really says a lot about those cities and teams. That was not the case with Boston. When Boston teams didn't win, they were nowhere. TD Garden's attendance figures reflect the fairweather element to the city.

We're really expected to believe that qualifications for being the best sports town means it's okay to not sell out during down times? Seriously? We're accepting that?

Let me remind you, the Bruins were so irrelevant, they did a re-brand in 2007 with the jersey and logo, which also coincided with the team doing well again. The logo does look much better than the previous jerseys. In hindsight, it was successful because they also won a Cup, so the Bruins brand today is connected to the new logo/jersey.

Last edited by amirite; 10-15-2016 at 11:44 AM..

Old 10-15-2016, 11:38 AM

712 posts, read 398,390 times
Buffalo blows all of these cities out of the water. A mid sized high school here with 500 students has 4 hockey teams, and a brand new facility was just built downtown. Everyone here has a story about playing hockey in an outdoor rink when they were kids.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:49 AM

Buffalo is DEFINITELY top 3, for sure. Patrick Kane definitely legitimizes that, as he will go down as the greatest American hockey player of all-time. He is already a HOFer. Three Cups, Conn Smythe, Hart Trophy. His resume speaks for itself. Over a PPG player.

Buffalo has never won a Cup and Philadelphia hasn't won in over 40 years, but their fans travel very well and their games are always at capacity/sell out.

Like I said in the post above, the Flyers beat the Kings last night 4-2, and there were "Lets go Flyers" chants at Staples Center. That's insane to take over an opposing arena, especially on the opposite coast.

The greatest American goalie of all-time (Mike Richter) is from Philadelphia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.