U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which U.S. city is biggest on hockey?
Boston 25 16.56%
Chicago 17 11.26%
Detroit 39 25.83%
New York 3 1.99%
Philadelphia 27 17.88%
Pittsburgh 11 7.28%
Los Angeles 2 1.32%
Other 27 17.88%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 10:24 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,060,548 times

Advertisements

I grew up in upstate NY and have spent plenty of time in Boston, neither are as hockey obsessed as MSP. Minnesota draws 18,000+ for high school hockey games. It isn't just about the NHL. It is about the sport at the grassroots level. I think it is because Minnesota is flat and has a lot of lakes. All the places out east that are cold enough for hockey also have good skiing so skiing and hockey compete with each other as recreational winter sports. Here it is just hockey, and the presence of lakes means that everyone can play outside for free everywhere. That is why 40% of the Americans in the NHL are from Minnesota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 10:34 AM

5,616 posts, read 3,957,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
I think it is because Minnesota is flat and has a lot of lakes.
Lots of lakes plays a part in MN's hockey popularity, but flatness?!? Being flat has NOTHING to do with hockey being popular. After all, its played on ice which is... DUN DUN DUNNNN... flat. In all seriousness, MN's winter is long, and hockey is ingrained in the state's youth, hence its popularity.

Old 09-08-2016, 05:22 PM

18,927 posts, read 6,907,157 times
I'm surprised I'm the 1st person to say New York City, after all, it is the only metro with THREE NHL teams (Rangers, Islanders and Devils)

Old 09-08-2016, 05:47 PM

2,941 posts, read 4,551,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I'm surprised I'm the 1st person to say New York City, after all, it is the only metro with THREE NHL teams (Rangers, Islanders and Devils)
If there were other northern metros with populations of 20 million plus I'm sure they'd have 3 teams, too.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:01 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,231,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
If there were other northern metros with populations of 20 million plus I'm sure they'd have 3 teams, too.
The Rangers were one of the original 6 teams, so hockey is a very strong sport in New York.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:32 PM

9,401 posts, read 9,566,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
The Rangers were one of the original 6 teams, so hockey is a very strong sport in New York.
Its not one of those places that every town has its own rink though. It isn't like MA, MI, NH, MN, and Upstate NY where there are Hockey rinks everywhere.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:19 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,536,473 times
St. Paul (+ Minneapolis), Detroit, and Boston are the only truly great hockey markets in the US.

Everybody else is just a big second tier.

I said "other" because St. Paul wasn't an option.

Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, and Chicago are decent.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Perhaps Boston but I wonder why Minneapolis was left off the list? Is it not that big of a hockey city?
No, it's a huge hockey city. OP just doesn't know what they're talking about.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
How does St. Paul not make this poll?

You can make an argument about us losing the North Stars, but this thread is about hockey, not the NHL. The Twin Cities, and Minnesota as a whole, are definitely #1 in regards to the sport of hockey.
We only lost the North Stars because Norm Green was a crook, and his wife made him move the team to dodge his sexual harassment charges (real gent, that one).

Try this on for size:

"The idea that this guy [Norm Green], that anyone, for that matter, could move major league hockey from Minnesota, the American home of hockey, is hard to believe. How could that happen? How could anyone let that happen? This is the state that fills a 16,000-seat arena for the state high school tournament, the state that every four years fills out the roster of the U.S. Olympic team, the state that is the land of lakes, for goodness' sake, all of them frozen during the long winter, all with kids learning to skate. Dallas? A team from Minnesota would move, after 26 years of residence, to Dallas?"

Source: Spleen for Green

Old 09-09-2016, 08:57 AM

2,941 posts, read 4,551,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
I wasn't questioning the sports popularity in New York. I was contending that they have 3 hockey teams in their metro because there are over 20 million people livng there.

And thanks, but I don't need the guy who didn't know enough to include MSP in this thread/poll to tell me the Rangers are an original 6 franchise.

I think at this point you should sit back and let the rest of us take it from here. You're going to get more hockey info than you can give, that much is certain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.