U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which U.S. city is biggest on hockey?
Boston 25 16.56%
Chicago 17 11.26%
Detroit 39 25.83%
New York 3 1.99%
Philadelphia 27 17.88%
Pittsburgh 11 7.28%
Los Angeles 2 1.32%
Other 27 17.88%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 05:46 PM

5,595 posts, read 3,729,719 times

Advertisements

Last season it was Chicago, Detroit, and Minneapolis. Minneapolis is not listed but I bet it has most of the "other" votes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 05:56 PM

13,366 posts, read 7,046,601 times
Philadelphia is not traditionally a hockey city. Hockey wasn't popular at all before the Flyers arrived in 1967. There are cities with much more notable histories of hockey fandom other than Philadelphia. Even now, hockey fandom in Philadelphia mostly revolves around the Flyers. Other things happening in the world of hockey besides the NHL aren't really on too many people's radar.

I'd go for a more traditionally hockey city. Buffalo, Detroit, Minneapolis, Boston.

I'd put Philadelphia more in the category of Washington, DC or Nashville via-a-vis hockey fandom: capable of generating its own home fans and a viable fanbase (unlike South Florida or Phoenix), but wouldn't be a traditional market, per se.

The Flyers have certainly increased the popularity of hockey, more generally, throughout the region, but hockey culture is still nothing here compared to Boston or Northern New England.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:19 PM

13,366 posts, read 7,046,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I'm surprised I'm the 1st person to say New York City, after all, it is the only metro with THREE NHL teams (Rangers, Islanders and Devils)
The idea of NYC being in the same league when it comes to hockey culture as Buffalo or the Twin Cities, or even Boston, is just laughable, honestly.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:21 PM

18,926 posts, read 6,911,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
The idea of NYC being in the same league when it comes to hockey culture as Buffalo or the Twin Cities, or even Boston, is just laughable, honestly.
What other metro has 3 teams though???

Answer: 0

Old 09-12-2016, 06:24 PM

1,242 posts, read 980,146 times
The Bruins are incapable of drawing decent attendance during losing seasons. Boston has always had an extreme level of bandwagon attendance in at least 3 of the 4 major sports. This is just a fact. Bostonians can sit there and say "oh well we switch to college hockey when the Bruins suck so it's not all about NHL" all they want, but that only proves my point about them being bandwagon fans. And I have lived all over New England (Maine, NH, Boston, CT, RI) and college hockey was never that much of a topic of serious conversation with anybody and I am a hockey fanatic. If people talked to me about hockey, it was 1) normally during winning Bruins seasons when Bruins fans actually seemed to exist and 2) always about NHL.

I have also lived in Buffalo and I can verify the hockey vibe in Buffalo is greater than anywhere I've lived in New England.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 09-12-2016 at 06:37 PM..

Old 09-12-2016, 06:28 PM

5,917 posts, read 6,348,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
They were once so bad they lost a team, Boston never got that bad.
In all fairness the North Stars left because Norm Greed, um, uh Norm Green could not get a new arena for the team.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:50 PM

1,242 posts, read 980,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
In all fairness the North Stars left because Norm Greed, um, uh Norm Green could not get a new arena for the team.
Well they did have poor attendance for a few seasons, but I'm sure it's all intertwined. Some fans, especially die hards, protest poor team leadership by not attending. Which is understandable when your team has as many problems as the North Stars did during that era. I can understand frustration when your team is just THAT BAD.

There was a period recently where Bills fans about had enough of the Bills leadership (I lived there then, it was pretty bad), and some Bills fans semi boycotted the Bills games. There are certain cities and circumstances where I understand the frustration. Boston on the other hand is a city that wins a lot and punches far below its weight in 3 major sports when the teams are not contenders. They have no reason to "boycott" attending the games and they really have no reason to be frustrated.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:30 PM

21,375 posts, read 21,954,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
also, the NHL announced a return to St Paul just 4 years after Normie left...a relatively brief hiatus

Old 09-13-2016, 07:26 AM

4,445 posts, read 3,544,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
What other metro has 3 teams though???

Answer: 0
More to do with their 20+ million people living there.

I wouldn't even start comparing NHL stats in relation to how much of a hotbed for hockey an area is. It starts at the grass roots level. Juniors, high school, etc. I still come back to MSP (as far as major metros)

Old 09-13-2016, 08:05 AM

949 posts, read 614,570 times
Hockey, schmockey. The real question should be : which city is biggest on volleyball (the only worthwhile sport to both watch and play, obviously. )

...But here, I voted "other" (Twin Cities metro, of course).

Always impressed me how those big, heavily padded hockey players could skate so gracefully and skillfully, all the while cross-checking each other into a bloody pulp. Loved it. Much more fun to watch than baseball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.