Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which U.S. city is biggest on hockey?
Boston 25 16.56%
Chicago 17 11.26%
Detroit 39 25.83%
New York 3 1.99%
Philadelphia 27 17.88%
Pittsburgh 11 7.28%
Los Angeles 2 1.32%
Other 27 17.88%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 01:51 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,857,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
Oh that was your admission? The ["I've"] implied you admitted to it in the past.

Also, I'm missing these insults I keep flinging your way. Apparently you just don't like hearing that you're wrong.

You just want to fight. It's not good enough that I admit the Twin Cities should've been put higher. You have to continue insulting because you just can't help yourself. I'm done with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2016, 03:10 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,596,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
You just want to fight. It's not good enough that I admit the Twin Cities should've been put higher. You have to continue insulting because you just can't help yourself. I'm done with you.
I have just one question. When did I insult you? I feel I have been one of the more tame detractors.

You'd probably do better to change the title of this thread to "which city is the second biggest on hockey".

Old 09-10-2016, 03:15 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,815,815 times
If we're talking hockey in general I think it's pretty hard to go against MN. If we're talking NHL I'd go with Buffalo. They always have strong ticket sales, tv ratings, and overall community support. Which is much more than I can say about the bandwagon cities of Boston and Chicago.

Old 09-10-2016, 11:20 PM

Quote:
I have just one question. When did I insult you? I feel I have been one of the more tame detractors.

You'd probably do better to change the title of this thread to "which city is the second biggest on hockey".
You'd probably do better by just silencing your fingers.

Old 09-11-2016, 07:32 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,730,843 times
You would have been better off listing the poll as MSP vs the field. Instead you went ahead and left off MSP. Inexcusable.

Like leaving off Florida when asking about best beaches
Or leaving off Texas or Florida for best football state
Or leaving off Colorado for best ski states
Or leaving off Alabama for best college football programs
Or leaving off Idaho for best potato producing states

You get my drift

Old 09-11-2016, 07:59 AM

14,012 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
If we're talking hockey in general I think it's pretty hard to go against MN. If we're talking NHL I'd go with Buffalo. They always have strong ticket sales, tv ratings, and overall community support. Which is much more than I can say about the bandwagon cities of Boston and Chicago.
The Minnesota North Stars (sorry, Wild) don't always have stellar ratings or attendance. If Boston is bandwagon so in MSP/St Paul. It is simply harder for a NHL team to Compete in Markets like Boston or Minneapolis when there is more high quality Hockey at a cheap price.
Imagine in NFL team in Columbus or an NBA team in Louisville. When the pro-team stumbles people would have to compete with a cheaper option that is just as fun.
Chicago on the other hand, the only Hockey in the entire place in the Blackhawks, they have no DI College Hockey.

Old 09-11-2016, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
You would have been better off listing the poll as MSP vs the field. Instead you went ahead and left off MSP. Inexcusable.

Like leaving off Florida when asking about best beaches
Or leaving off Texas or Florida for best football state
Or leaving off Colorado for best ski states
Or leaving off Alabama for best college football programs
Or leaving off Idaho for best potato producing states

You get my drift
Oh grow up.

Old 09-11-2016, 08:38 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,442,866 times
Quote:
Apparently the Twin Cities are in the same category as Dallas and Phoenix when it comes to hockey.
Gotta step up and defend Dallas here. No, not implying that it's on par with the great hockey towns of the north, but I will say that it's by far the best hockey town I've experienced anywhere in the southern U.S. The Stars have an excellent fan base, and the metroplex as a whole features many hockey organizations and programs, ranging from youth, to junior, to high school, college, and even adult beer leagues.... then you get into the professional sphere that includes minor league and NHL action. I've lived in other southern cities (Atlanta) where hockey is barely even a blip on the sports radar, but that absolutely cannot be said for the DFW area. While it likely won't ever eclipse the other big 3 sports (it obviously won't ever top football) in terms of overall popularity here, it has nonetheless been established as a legitimate game with a legitimate following.

Youth Hockey Programs | Allen, TX - Official Website

Best Adult Hockey Leagues In DFW « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

Dallas Junior Hockey Association

AT&T Metroplex High School Hockey League

High School Hockey

Texas Collegiate Hockey Conference Launches This Fall

Dallas Minor League Hockey Rivalries Span Four Generations

Allen Americans Professional Hockey Official Website

Texas Stars

Dallas Stars

Old 09-11-2016, 02:31 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,393,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
The Minnesota North Stars (sorry, Wild) don't always have stellar ratings or attendance. If Boston is bandwagon so in MSP/St Paul. It is simply harder for a NHL team to Compete in Markets like Boston or Minneapolis when there is more high quality Hockey at a cheap price.
Imagine in NFL team in Columbus or an NBA team in Louisville. When the pro-team stumbles people would have to compete with a cheaper option that is just as fun.
Chicago on the other hand, the only Hockey in the entire place in the Blackhawks, they have no DI College Hockey.
In modern times the Wild have had consistent top 10 attendance (minus a few years they were 11th, 12th and 15th or so) and didn't once drop to 26th like Boston which is a larger city.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 09-11-2016 at 03:51 PM..

Old 09-11-2016, 07:57 PM

605 posts, read 669,242 times
Minneapolis deserves to be included among hockey mad cities. Their high school and college teams have a rabid following even if the attendance for the Stars is lackluster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.