U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What will be the 15th city to cross 5 million people?
Cleveland 1 2.13%
Denver 14 29.79%
Minneapolis 9 19.15%
Orlando 1 2.13%
Portland 4 8.51%
San Diego 4 8.51%
Tampa 14 29.79%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 12:46 PM

21,197 posts, read 30,388,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susi Deborah View Post
I am expressly sitting tight for the 10 million CSA of Tampa and Orlando. That territory is more associated than New York-Philadelphia and is coming in close on Baltimore-Washington D.C and in light of the thickness of urban communities in focal Florida that zone is rapidly getting to resemble the NE and from only north of Miami to only south of Jacksonville is effectively 10 million individuals in 10 districts by 2030.
You couldn't be any more wrong. There's very little interaction between Orlando and Tampa, so not sure what kind of association you speak of other than a highway connecting them. People certainly do not commute from one to the other for work as they do in the NYC-Philadelphia or DC-Baltimore corridors, and there isn't any commerce working in a collaborative fashion either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 12:50 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,227,879 times
Cleveland will never reach 5 million at this rate. It's shrinking right now, not growing.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:03 PM

8,385 posts, read 8,379,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Looks that way, which really sucks. Would that sprawl be bigger than DFW? Alot of area to fill.
The I-35 corridor between Austin & San Antonio is rapidly filling in. Plus the growth north of Austin into Round Rock/Cedar Park/Leander/ and Georgetown has been phenomenal the past 20 years. So from Georgetown to San Antonio it'll be a 120 mile long strip city (actually just about is right now) as it fills in over the next 30 years or so.

This pic is almost 4 years old:

Last edited by ScoPro; 09-08-2016 at 06:15 PM..

Old 09-08-2016, 06:24 PM

3,721 posts, read 3,575,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
They are pretty much connected, with Plant City, Lakeland, Winter Haven.. you can't see it from I-4 because after Lakeland and towards Orlando, most development is to the South. North of that you have the Green Swamp Wilderness Preserve(will never fill). It's clearly shown in the picture below..

http://media.npr.org/assets/img/2012...728b8ea29c.jpg
Please. A nighttime picture of lights to show connectivity? Look at one from the northeast then.

Seriously Pittsburgh and Cleveland look more connected.

Old 09-24-2016, 10:16 AM

30,220 posts, read 67,358,468 times
It won't be Cleveland. As much as I love the city and respect that it has some extremely overzealous boosters on here the area's population is barely growing. Same for Pittsburgh. Cincinnati is growing more quickly, and if it absorbs Dayton it will easily overtake Pittsburgh in the coming years. Minneapolis/St. Paul is a vibrant and cosmopolitan area with a robust economy; however, it takes a special person to ignore five months of foul weather per year where you either have to be dressed like Ralph's little brother from A Christmas Story or deal with those weird dated-looking indoor elevated walkways around the city.

I think Austin and San Antonio will indeed continue to become more interconnected in the coming years. Their sprawl is more connected than the Tampa to Orlando sprawl is right now. If and when San Antonio and Austin eventually form a CSA along the lines of Washington/Baltimore (which is possible in perhaps another 20 years or so with the way the growth there has been going), then I think we'll have a San Antonio/Austin CSA with 5,000,000+ residents next. Denver will be close behind, but I don't know if it can sustain much more rapid growth with the water shortage that Colorado is expected to be facing in the coming years if the growth continues.

Old 09-24-2016, 11:21 AM

23,112 posts, read 35,052,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
I'm actually quite surprised at how empty much of the path from Tampa to Bradenton is: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ma...345189!6m1!1e1. Makes me think we're in for a longer wait than we hope

Still think it will be #15 though.
You are referring to the east side of the bay, which is quite a different story the Gulf side which involves Clearwater, St Pete, Bradenton and Sarasota. They form a contiguous urban corridor that is fast approaching the density of the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale-WPB MSA.

Old 09-24-2016, 03:53 PM

448 posts, read 391,164 times
Growth is filling in all the way from San Antonio to Georgetown north of Austin. With two of the fastest growing cities in the country New Braunfels and San Marcos in between. Every town on I35 between SA and Austin are sprawling more and more and getting more and more crowded. Took me an hour today to drive from one end of Austin to the other.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:14 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,056,373 times
The Minneapolis metro has added around 300,000 people nearly every decade since WWII. Its CSA is currently at a bit under 3.9 million. I have no doubt that it will eventually cross the 5 million threshold (probably in around 30 years), the question is whether someone else crosses it first.

Old 09-25-2016, 03:05 AM

1,795 posts, read 2,568,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbidy View Post
Growth is filling in all the way from San Antonio to Georgetown north of Austin. With two of the fastest growing cities in the country New Braunfels and San Marcos in between. Every town on I35 between SA and Austin are sprawling more and more and getting more and more crowded. Took me an hour today to drive from one end of Austin to the other.
All the high growth between Austin & San Antonio has been phenomenal. Small towns that were only a few thousand like Buda & Kyle have sprung up to be small cities in a matter of 15 yrs.

Old 09-25-2016, 08:21 AM

619 posts, read 440,520 times
Economics needs to be in the picture too. It's all about the commuters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or