U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 11:01 AM

17,234 posts, read 19,531,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayei View Post
I am thinking about cities with quality museums that offer a variety of cultural experiences. Large collections, niche museums, contemporary art, etc... what cities offer the strongest variety of museums? And what are those museums?
Washington:

Museum of Natural History
Air and Space Museum
National Gallery of Art
Holocaust Museum
+ several others

New York:

Metropolitan Museum of Art
Museum of Modern Art
Museum of Natural History
Guggenheim Museum
+ several others

Check out the IMAX theaters in a few of these museums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 09:18 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,445,032 times
Houston' Museum District is quite noteworthy. I would recommend Googling the district for the variety of museums. It's in the nicest part of the city and next to the massive medical district.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:54 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,225,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Including its great national historical museums -- Independence and Valley Forge -- I would rank Philadelphia higher than both Boston and LA. Considering history museums, Washington, DC, may even rank higher than NYC, even though the Met alone is the greatest art museum in the world IMO.

So, at the top, take NYC or Washington. Next, Philadelphia, followed closely by LA. After that, Boston and San Francisco would have to be considered. Following those cities, Chicago likely is definitely in the top 10.

Cleveland has both its great art museum and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum. Its CSA includes the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, and one of the best university art museums in Oberlin. It has two great maritime museums in the U.S.S. Cod, typically considered the best WWII U.S. fleet submarine, and the Steamship Mather, one of the very best mechanical engineering landmarks. Cleveland has a very good natural history museum, and excellent Mormon history sites in Kirtland. So I would put it in the top 10.

https://www.asme.org/getmedia/f1e7a2...ther-1925.aspx

Chicago probably ranks above Cleveland with a great art museum, great natural history museum, and great science and industry museum.

Detroit has a great art museum and the incomparable The Henry Ford. The Henry Ford may boost Detroit into the top 10.

Houston, St. Louis, and Kansas City also are worthy of consideration. All three have some excellent historical museums, more so in St. Louis if you include the Cahokia Mounds world heritage site.
The Saint Louis Art Museum, the Science Center, the History Museum, and Cahokia Mounds and the museum on the Gateway Arch grounds are all superb museums.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:56 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,180,387 times
There are wonderful museums throughout America. Even an awful place like Detroit has an excellent art museum. There are a huge variety of TYPES of museums, which people who aren't dyed in the bone museum goers tend to forget. There are many different types of art museums, natural history museums, historic houses, historic sites, general history museums, anthropological museums, technological museums, children's museums, specialty museums, and more. Some of the very best museums in America are in rural places and/or small towns.

At the top would, of course, be New York City. It has both diversity of types of collections and quality.

Then Washington D.C. for the greatest diversity of types of collections.

I'm going to go with Boston next. It has a nice diverse collection of types of museums, but many are in poor condition. Fork over the dough, people of Boston!

Then Chicago. The Art Institute, The Field, Science and Industry, and the Chicago history museum are all excellent. But after these four, what?

Los Angeles has a surprisingly very sucky museum scene. The Getty is incredible, the natural history museum is good, LACMA is ok, and the Autry is an odd combination of what used to be the excellent Native American collections of the Museum of the Southwest which the Autry ate, and kitchy fun Hollywood history.

Seattle has a good art museum, and The Burke is cool, but their city history museum is shockingly underfunded and sad to visit.

Dallas/Ft. Worth has the Amon Carter and . . . other stuff I can't remember.

One place I'm sure no one else will mention is Tulsa, OK. Both the Philbrook and the Gilcrease are wonderful!

My favorite museums in America are the Cooper Hewitt in NYC, the Gilcrease in Tulsa, and Old World Wisconsin in Eagle Wisconsin.

editing to note that Greenfield Village isn't in Detroit. It is in Dearborn, which is in the greater Detroit metropolitan area. If you look at the greater metropolitan area of the other cities you could include additional museums for each other city, too. And the Greenfield, though it has an excellent collection, is looking pretty shabby in some sections (or it was three years ago.)

Old 09-07-2016, 10:08 PM

7,701 posts, read 4,557,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post

I'm going to go with Boston next. It has a nice diverse collection of types of museums, but many are in poor condition. Fork over the dough, people of Boston!

Then Chicago. The Art Institute, The Field, Science and Industry, and the Chicago history museum are all excellent. But after these four, what?
Chicago Museum of Contemporary Art, DuSable Museum of AfAm History.

Chicago Museums >>> Boston Museums

Old 09-07-2016, 11:43 PM

7,906 posts, read 4,868,890 times
Quote:
Los Angeles has a surprisingly very sucky museum scene. The Getty is incredible, the natural history museum is good, LACMA is ok, and the Autry is an odd combination of what used to be the excellent Native American collections of the Museum of the Southwest which the Autry ate, and kitchy fun Hollywood history.
LACMA is more than just OK:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_An..._Museum_of_Art

Any city with the Getty (by far the best endowed art museum in the U.S.) and LACMA definitely does NOT have a "sucky" museum scene.

Then there is the Broad and the California Science Center.

The Broad

California Science Center | Science learning for everyone!

The Reagan Presidential Library is entertaining, with a walk-through Air Force One, even if its presented history is a little biased, if not inaccurate. There also are the Huntington Library, Norton Simon Museum, the Peterson Automotive Museum, and the Natural History Museum, in addition to the Autry.

Quote:
editing to note that Greenfield Village isn't in Detroit. It is in Dearborn, which is in the greater Detroit metropolitan area. If you look at the greater metropolitan area of the other cities you could include additional museums for each other city, too. And the Greenfield, though it has an excellent collection, is looking pretty shabby in some sections (or it was three years ago.)
The Henry Ford is much more than Greenfield Village, which I agree is very dated and a collection designed for mid-20th century tastes, although the Model Ts are a big hit IMO and Edison's lab is worth the visit. The Henry Ford Museum is fantastic, however, and the Rouge factory tour also is exceptional.

IMO, metropolitan areas should be considered. E.g., the Getty Villa and Huntington Library are not in LA.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:09 AM

1,236 posts, read 1,426,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Chicago Museum of Contemporary Art, DuSable Museum of AfAm History.

Chicago Museums >>> Boston Museums
Also, The Oriental Institute (Univ. of Chicago) and several others.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:38 AM

1,147 posts, read 1,472,448 times
Los Angeles has a very wide range of museums or the arts and sciences.
The bigger ones in art
-LACMA
-Getty Villa and Getty Center
-Norton Simon
-The Broad
-MOCA Grand/Contemporary/Pacific Design
Lesser ones
-Huntington Library and Gardens
-Asia Pacific Museum
-Art museums in Long Beach, Santa Monica, Pasadena and others
-Hammer Museum
-UCLA Fowler Museum
-USC Fisher Museum
-Paley Center for Media
-Annenberg Photography

Ethnic/Racial/Cultural Museums
-Japanese American national Museum
-Italian American Museum
-Chinese American Museum
-Museum of Tolerance
-Southwest Museum
-Museum of Latin American Art
-California African American Museum
-Skirball Cultural Center

Sciences
-Griffith Observatory
-Natural History Museum
-California Science Museum with the Space Shuttle
-LA Brea Tar Pits

Other major and niche ones
-Grammy Museum
-Oscars Museum (not sure the name but they are building it next to LACMA)
-Petersen Automotive Museum
-Nethercutt Automotive Museum
-Arts and Crafts Museum
-Neon Art Museum Glendale
-Museum of Jurassic Technology
-Heritage Museum
-Art and Design Museum in Downtown Arts District
-USS Iowa
-Queen Mary
-Aquarium of the Pacific
-Maritime Museum in San Pedro
-Regan and Nixon Presidential Libraries
-Police Museum in Northeast LA
-Firefighter museum in Hollywood

I think I got most of the most people in LA would know about. I think there are others and smaller ones.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:18 AM

234 posts, read 102,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Any city with the Getty (by far the best endowed art museum in the U.S.) and LACMA definitely does NOT have a "sucky" museum scene.
I think, relative to population/importance, it can be argued that LA has a somewhat "sucky" museum scene.

I mean, LA has almost 20 million people. The only comparable or larger city in the U.S. is NYC. Yet it doesn't have any top-tier museums.

Is LACMA good? Yeah. Is it as good as say, Cleveland, or Detroit's art museums? No way. And no one is going to even bother comparing to, top tier museums, say, Met or MOMA. So, on that comparative basis, I think the argument can be made.

The Getty, BTW, is not an impressive art collection. It's more interesting for the architecture/setting and especially the gardens.

LA has a ton of museums, many interesting and quite good, but doesn't have elite top-tier institutions, really.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:31 AM

5,616 posts, read 3,936,707 times
NYC, DC, LA, and CHI... by far! I like Chicago's because a big chunk of them are located rather close together, which makes it easy. The Museum of Science and Industry (my fave) is a bit far south, but still an easy drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or