U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 11:46 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,818,793 times

Advertisements

NY, SF and Philly!!!!!!!! Honorable mentions: Chicago, Denver and L.A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 01:01 AM

311 posts, read 219,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Where is San Jose?

Old 09-11-2016, 11:09 AM

3,071 posts, read 1,818,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
Where is San Jose?
It got some great museums: Tech, Children, San Jose Museum of Art and others. Not the best city for museums, never said that

Old 09-16-2016, 03:06 PM

63 posts, read 95,212 times
Thanks for all the interesting responses! I have to visit many of these places. I reside in Boston, which has a pretty small, but well rounded constellation of museums. Especially in regards to art; we have the MFA (our encyclopedic museum), the Institute of Contemporary Arts (in a new modern space built in 2006), the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum (a turn of the century private collection), and further afield the Fogg (part of the Harvard Museums) and the Peabody Essex Museum (Salem, MA, showcases maritime art and artifacts). deCortova is a nice sculpture park in Lincoln. Way out in the Berkshires (~2 hr) we have the massive Mass MOCA (Museum of Contemporary Art) that houses large scale exhibitions in a former warehouse. The Worcester Art Museum is also a great small museum that is worth the trip.

My knowledge rests mostly with art museums, but we have the wonderful New England Aquarium, Science Museum, and Boston Children's Museum, along with a plethora of historical museums and sites (Freedom Trail, Boston Public Library, etc.) There are many interesting museums and sites in the whole state.

Some of my favorite museums in other cities include MOMA and Met (have yet to visit the Frick, Guggenheim, Morgan, the list goes on!), and New York is clearly a city with an abundance of unique museums.

I love the Philadelphia Museum of Art and the Barnes (which I have only seen in its current site) in Philadelphia. The Philadelphia Magic Gardens and the public art of Philadelphia is amazing to me. I worked with public artists there for a few weeks a couple years back. I also enjoyed my visits to the Fabric Workshop and Museum and the Mutter Museum (a museum of medical abnormalities).

The Art Institute of Chicago blew me away. I would love to see the Detroit Art Institute, Cleveland Museum of Art, Getty, and LACMA.

I'd love to learn more about the different museums and institutions in different cities! I feel as though it's a nice way to get to know a place

Old 09-16-2016, 05:23 PM

956 posts, read 1,777,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayei View Post
Thanks for all the interesting responses! I have to visit many of these places. I reside in Boston, which has a pretty small, but well rounded constellation of museums. Especially in regards to art; we have the MFA (our encyclopedic museum), the Institute of Contemporary Arts (in a new modern space built in 2006), the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum (a turn of the century private collection), and further afield the Fogg (part of the Harvard Museums) and the Peabody Essex Museum (Salem, MA, showcases maritime art and artifacts). deCortova is a nice sculpture park in Lincoln. Way out in the Berkshires (~2 hr) we have the massive Mass MOCA (Museum of Contemporary Art) that houses large scale exhibitions in a former warehouse. The Worcester Art Museum is also a great small museum that is worth the trip.

My knowledge rests mostly with art museums, but we have the wonderful New England Aquarium, Science Museum, and Boston Children's Museum, along with a plethora of historical museums and sites (Freedom Trail, Boston Public Library, etc.) There are many interesting museums and sites in the whole state.

Some of my favorite museums in other cities include MOMA and Met (have yet to visit the Frick, Guggenheim, Morgan, the list goes on!), and New York is clearly a city with an abundance of unique museums.

I love the Philadelphia Museum of Art and the Barnes (which I have only seen in its current site) in Philadelphia. The Philadelphia Magic Gardens and the public art of Philadelphia is amazing to me. I worked with public artists there for a few weeks a couple years back. I also enjoyed my visits to the Fabric Workshop and Museum and the Mutter Museum (a museum of medical abnormalities).

The Art Institute of Chicago blew me away. I would love to see the Detroit Art Institute, Cleveland Museum of Art, Getty, and LACMA.

I'd love to learn more about the different museums and institutions in different cities! I feel as though it's a nice way to get to know a place
I last went to it so many years ago, but Detroit Institute for the Arts is definitely worth a visit. Glad they didn't auction off their paintings, like I feared was going to happen when the city of Detroit(which operates that museum IIRC) filed for bankruptcy protection. Also be sure to check out the art museums in Milwaukee, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Ann Arbor(this is smaller than the others, but also nice), Toledo, OH(yes seriously), and Louisville if you have a chance. I've heard good things about the one in Racine, WI being kinda small like the one in Ann Arbor, but would like to visit that one someday.

Old 09-16-2016, 06:04 PM

1,934 posts, read 1,706,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
haha why did you not mention DC? DC definitely has the best museums in the country, especially because 90 percent of them are free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or